300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD Investigating Pursuit that Ended with Man Shot and Killed

More than 12 hours after a police pursuit in Downtown Los Angeles came to a violent end, members of the Los Angeles Police Department were still at the scene investigating the circumstances of the deadly confrontation.

KTLA 5 contacted the LAPD Saturday, however, the police department would not comment on the incident.

In video captured by Sky5, officers appeared to shoot the driver of a silver Corvette who had led them on a pursuit across Southern California.

The chase began with East L.A. sheriff’s deputies around 9 p.m. near Firestone Boulevard in South Gate.

The man, who at times was driving without his headlights on, was being pursued for reckless driving and possible DUI, according to sheriff’s officials.

At one point, deputies backed off the Corvette and allowed the department’s airship to follow the car through Cudahy, Huntington Park, South Gate and Walnut Park.

The LAPD picked up the chase when the driver entered the South Los Angeles area.

The pursuit came to an end in Downtown L.A. around 10:30 p.m. when the Corvette slammed into another vehicle and a fire hydrant near Olympic Boulevard and Los Angeles Street.

The driver stumbled out of the Corvette and appeared to be trying to flee on foot.

But video from Sky5 showed the driver collapse on the sidewalk next to the car after apparently being shot by police.

He was treated at the scene by paramedics and later transported to a hospital where he died.

Read more: http://ktla.com/2013/12/14/lapd-inve...#ixzz2nU9AN6M4
    USMC 2006-2011

3rd Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team 2006-2009
    2/7 Fox Raiders 2009-2010
    Provost Marshall's Office 2010-2011

CA POST Academy 2011-2012

I watched it live and must admit I didn't see any weapon in the suspects hands, and it did appear that he was trying to run away.... Will be interesting to see the outcome of the investigation.
    Retired LASD

Comment

I watched it too, and was curious at to what happened.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Here is the helicopter video:

http://youtu.be/ug5KXzpbf9M?t=21m11s

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
          I watched it live and must admit I didn't see any weapon in the suspects hands, and it did appear that he was trying to run away.... Will be interesting to see the outcome of the investigation.
          With all of the problems we are currently having, I'm thankful it was LAPD that shot him.
          Retired

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
            With all of the problems we are currently having, I'm thankful it was LAPD that shot him.
            I have watched that clip almost 20 times and hate to say it, I don't see a threat...
            Retired LASD

Comment

My guess is that they might conclude the suspect went for his front waistband.

Comment

Damn, that really doesn't look too good. Didn't think LAPD had such a liberal chase policy.. what was their justification to pick up the chase? Is that normal?

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                  Damn, that really doesn't look too good. Didn't think LAPD had such a liberal chase policy.. what was their justification to pick up the chase? Is that normal?
                  Chase started with LASD as a reckless driver and was called off by the watch commander as LASD has a very restrictive pursuit policy... Pursuit eventually ended up in the city of LA and LAPD took over the chase.
                  Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
                    Ya sheriff's only had 4 people die in a pursuit TC down in Compton....much better....
                    "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post
                      Ya sheriff's only had 4 people die in a pursuit TC down in Compton....much better....
                      I think you missed my intent. I was not in any sense suggesting that the 4 lives lost in the Compton pursuit were much better than the life lost in the LAPD shooting. I was merely commenting that we (LASD) did not need anymore bad press coverage than we have recently received. If you notice I ended my comment with the winking icon, which signified at least to me that it was a comment said with tongue in cheek.

I worked along side many LAPD officers during my career and always had the highest respect for them.
                      Retired

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4937 users online. 310 members and 4627 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X