Out of State Lateral

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of State Lateral

My wife and I are considering moving to the LA area. I have been a police officer for over 15 years. The last 12 for a 600 member department.

In general, do departments in CA hire out of state laterals? I see that departments require you to be CA POST certified, but do they have a education/experience waiver for out of state candidates?

What are the thoughts/opinions on departments like Santa Ana, Irvine, Huntington Beach, Orange County, and other departments South of LA. Are there any departments to stay away from?

Please PM if you feel more comfortable.

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
    My wife and I are considering moving to the LA area. I have been a police officer for over 15 years. The last 12 for a 600 member department.

In general, do departments in CA hire out of state laterals? I see that departments require you to be CA POST certified, but do they have a education/experience waiver for out of state candidates?

What are the thoughts/opinions on departments like Santa Ana, Irvine, Huntington Beach, Orange County, and other departments South of LA. Are there any departments to stay away from?

Please PM if you feel more comfortable.
    Here is a post from last week about the same topic.

http://forums.officer.com/t184522/

To answer your question, California does have a POST waiver process. You can contact CA Post to get the info, but basically they take your current training and compare it to our State mandated training and tell you if you qualify to take the exam or if you need additional training in certain areas.

Santa Ana is a good dept and very selective, pay is good for the area. Irvine I don't know much about the dept, but the city is upper middle class and very low crime.

Oh, and you will not be able to bring your AR-15 here, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Reservetobe; 02-20-2013, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Reserve. After reading the link you provided, it sounds like it varies from each department on POST waivers.

And I didn't even think of the issue with my rifle.....

Comment

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
        Thanks for the info Reserve. After reading the link you provided, it sounds like it varies from each department on POST waivers.

And I didn't even think of the issue with my rifle.....
        WHY in the name of all that is holy are you even considering moving into this hellhole?

No one that I work with (and I mean that quite literally) has any intention of retiring in this state....I will be on the way out of this state and emigrating somewhere in the USA before the ink is even dry on my retirement papers
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
          WHY in the name of all that is holy are you even considering moving into this hellhole?

No one that I work with (and I mean that quite literally) has any intention of retiring in this state....I will be on the way out of this state and emigrating somewhere in the USA before the ink is even dry on my retirement papers
          PM sent.

Comment

What he said, as a mater of fact a good friend of mine I worked custody with, laderaled to a PD in UTAH, and that's after he was patrol trained with us. He also took a huge paycut. Its tempting but our dept has lots of gigs one can get into if your burned out in the streets.
            sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
            -George Orwell

Comment

Santa Ana...land of savages. Come apply, you won't be bored. They still let you do police work here. We have it better than most departments.

Comment

Originally posted by UScanuck View Post
                Santa Ana...land of savages. Come apply, you won't be bored. They still let you do police work here. We have it better than most departments.
                PM sent

Comment

We just hired a lateral from Atlanta. He went through the CA POST waiver process as well. It's funny to hear someone with a slight drawl ask cholos, "What're y'all fixin' to do?"

Comment

I take that back....I think he went through the academy again.

Comment

Irvine borders Santa Ana, but they are a completely different department culture. Low violent crime, high property crime, citizens expect the highest level of service. It is an upper middle class city, but there is still a decent amount of activity to keep you busy for the day. You won't be in foot pursuits and car chases every day, let alone more than once a year.

The pay is good, the benefits are great, but the cost of living in the area is exceptionally high.

Irvine has a former NYPD officer who lateraled. There are several other local laterals who came over. Irvine is hiring pretty constantly, and they generally hire 50/50 for recruits and laterals.

Comment

Originally posted by CPDEMT View Post
                        Irvine borders Santa Ana, but they are a completely different department culture. Low violent crime, high property crime, citizens expect the highest level of service. It is an upper middle class city, but there is still a decent amount of activity to keep you busy for the day. You won't be in foot pursuits and car chases every day, let alone more than once a year.

The pay is good, the benefits are great, but the cost of living in the area is exceptionally high.

Irvine has a former NYPD officer who lateraled. There are several other local laterals who came over. Irvine is hiring pretty constantly, and they generally hire 50/50 for recruits and laterals.
                        My son lives in Irvine,, its a great city,,, the medium income in that city is 90,000, a year...
                        Retired LASD

Comment

Its funny, everyone that lives here wants out. But trust me, when I travel out of state, especially on the east coast, they all wish they lived here because they hate the weather where they live.

It's just one of those grass is greener of the other side kinda things.

Comment

Originally posted by Reservetobe View Post
                            Here is a post from last week about the same topic.

http://forums.officer.com/t184522/

Oh, and you will not be able to bring your AR-15 here, unfortunately.
                            Law Enforcement officers can possess AR-15's in CA.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                              Law Enforcement officers can possess AR-15's in CA.
                              He will have to have a letter from his Chief/Sheriff.....and that will NOT happen with more than a few of the agencies out here (mine included)
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5045 users online. 226 members and 4819 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X