Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to lateral...but not just anywhere...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to lateral...but not just anywhere...

Hi all. I am an Officer in CA with 10 yrs experience. I am looking to lateral to a Nor Cal department but I have some requirements:

1) Must be an aggressive agency. By aggressive I mean that their focus is on catching bad guys. I work at an agency that is more concerned with liability and customer service. I know this is a growing trend but I also know there are still agencies out there that support and encourage their officers to get after it. That's my top priority.

2) Location. Must be in the Northern CA region. Even more specifically I am looking at Sacramento, Placer and nearby counties.

3) Must have a decent amount of career opprtunities. Not too concerned with promotions but more concerned with special assignments.

Does anyone have suggestions/recommendations? If so, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks

Some other dude just posted that Roseville PD is hiring.

I've never really heard anything good or bad about any particular NorCal agency in the areas you described.
    Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
    Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

I'll trade you? I want to work at an agency that pays a ridiculous amount of money, and doesn't require me to do a whole lot.

As in, I show up, get in my car, drive around for 12 hours, and go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizz View Post
        I'll trade you? I want to work at an agency that pays a ridiculous amount of money, and doesn't require me to do a whole lot.

As in, I show up, get in my car, drive around for 12 hours, and go home.
        Irvine, Newport, Huntington.

Comment

Well, my department wouldn't necessarily appreciate that but they certainly wouldn't scold you for it and you definitely wouldn't be in any trouble.

Comment

Some other dude just posted that Roseville PD is hiring.
            Nah, Roseville would be booooooooring.

Comment

Outside the bay area and Sac, Nor Cal is pretty rural.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                Irvine, Newport, Huntington.
                I knew you were going to chime in, bro =)

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig1 View Post
                  Outside the bay area and Sac, Nor Cal is pretty rural.
                  Stockton or Modesto? I'd imagine that would be a pretty good pay cut, and you'd be under constant threat of being laid off.

Fresno? It's a ways south. The city is trash. I have a friend or two there that have said it's pretty aggressive.

Comment

Richmond PD

Comment

Originally posted by RA1NMAN67 View Post
                      Nah, Roseville would be booooooooring.
                      Disclaimer: I am not law enforcement. I am a former active duty MP who lives in Northern California and has been on ride alongs with several departments.

Sac Sheriff, from my few ride-alongs with them, seems like it would be right up your alley. North Highlands and South Sac aren't exactly Oakland, but the optempo seems high and leadership seems to have officers' backs.

Feel free to PM, but again, I'm not LE, nor am I a government employee.

Comment

Stockton or Modesto? I'd imagine that would be a pretty good pay cut, and you'd be under constant threat of being laid off.

Fresno? It's a ways south. The city is trash. I have a friend or two there that have said it's pretty aggressive.
                        You know.... I guess I view Modesto or Stockton as Central CA. Fresno isnt bad at all. Its a decent agency with a ton of assignments. Clovis PD is a nice city and good on crime fighting. I dont know about "aggressive". Every department is going to have is community aspects. If you think you are going to find an agency that is a bunch of knuckle draggers all the way up to the Chief your not going to find it I dont think. As far as Fresno being trash, Ive lived all over So Cal and its not any different as far as the city goes.

You would probably definitely take a pay cut I would imagine. And I dont necessarily think the cost of living is much different.

Comment

Originally posted by 31BZ6 View Post
                          Disclaimer: I am not law enforcement. I am a former active duty MP who lives in Northern California and has been on ride alongs with several departments.

Sac Sheriff, from my few ride-alongs with them, seems like it would be right up your alley. North Highlands and South Sac aren't exactly Oakland, but the optempo seems high and leadership seems to have officers' backs.

Feel free to PM, but again, I'm not LE, nor am I a government employee.
                          FWIW I agree with you! I've done a few rides there too and I've enjoyed it. I'm on their list so maybe I will stop looking elsewhere. Only thing that sucks is the jail time you have to do first.

Comment

Didnt Sac lay off a bunch of Deps a while back? I know they grounded their air unit for a couple years but I think they are back up now courtesy of a grant. Napa PD is hiring. I have a buddy who is a Sgt there. We both used to work in So Cal. He says Napa has plenty of crime if your willing to get off the beaten path and go look for it. I think Santa Rosa is hiring too but I dont know anything about them.

Hey.... You could check out SFPD

Comment

Most agencies North of Sacramento are considered "Northern California" and you will find less than competitive salaries. They are among the lowest paid in the state. You can only be so aggressive in some of those agencies because the biggest gangsters are the locals and they run the towns. You must be a politician to work a lot of those places because the towns are so small. Everyone wants, and expects, a lot of PC for their local LEOs. Even CHP officers are hassled by the community when they are too aggressive. The old addage: "You can chose your enemies, but not your battles" applies in those regions.
                              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6213 users online. 426 members and 5787 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X