300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lapd disqualification letter

What, if you received a letter stating as a reason: decision making and judgment, maturity and discipline, honesty, integrity and personal ethics and law enforcement contacts. But no exact matter was mentioned.Was at the review stage of background. The records will reflect that the person will have withdrawn instead of being disqualified. Having just received a bachelor degree, no law record, would you recommend applying to other California agencies since the goal is to be a police officer?

Originally posted by sarge82 View Post
    What, if you received a letter stating as a reason: decision making and judgment, maturity and discipline, honesty, integrity and personal ethics and law enforcement contacts. But no exact matter was mentioned.Was at the review stage of background. The records will reflect that the person will have withdrawn instead of being disqualified. Having just received a bachelor degree, no law record, would you recommend applying to other California agencies since the goal is to be a police officer?
    I’m not quite sure how to dissect this post, but I will give it a go.

If you receive a letter citing “ decision making and judgment, maturity and discipline, honesty, integrity and personal ethics and law enforcement contacts” it would be safe to say that the last five are a taint that you may not be able to shake. While you can always work on developing decision making and grow up a bit, I am at a loss as to how you can “fix” the rest.

If you receive such a letter, you are most likely disqualified on those grounds, thus a withdrawal is usually not applicable in such a case. As for recommending that you seek out other agencies; I would hold off until you work on what you can “fix” while putting some distance between the other issues and when you make application again.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

If that is what the letter says, I would say you are toast just about everywhere and I honestly don't know how you fix it. How old are you?

Comment

Decision making, judgment, maturity and discipline are catch alls. When I did backgrounds I used them to DQ someone if the did something stupid or they were immature. They usually pertained to situations that could be healed with time and good behavior unless they were associated with something that was a permanent DQ factor..

OTOH, honesty, integrity and personal ethics are another story. Only you know what are behind those matters. Without knowing the details it is hard to give you an opinion.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          OTOH, honesty, integrity and personal ethics are another story. Only you know what are behind those matters. Without knowing the details it is hard to give you an opinion.
          OTO-O-H, maybe you're completely unaware? In the 12-step community we always speak of (1) defects of character and (2) shortcomings. I always thought they were one in the same. One day I learned that defects of character are those things I do wrong, that I know to be wrong. Shortcomings are those things I do wrong, which I have no knowledge of their wrongfulness.

Had you completed ALL phases of testing, including psych eval and poly?

In their letter to you, I read that, "The records will reflect that the person will have withdrawn instead of being disqualified." So they've given you an "out"....the same "out" another agency gave me after I retired and tried to get on a department in Colorado. I was eventually hired, but it was after a half-dozen agencies DQ'ed me. MY crime? Having filed a work comp case against the City of Los Angeles. That's a kiss-of-death for most agencies here.

Have you ever considered taking a personality inventory? I'm pretty sure you can take the MMPI on line. The difficulty may be what you learn about yourself.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Based on your post, I would say that you are being considered too immature for the job at this time in your life. Obviously you have made some frivolous decisions not in line with those who present a modicum of common sense and basic intelligence. You need to grow up! Get some work experience at other than a fast-food joint. Develop your education. Quit showing off in your car and drive in compliance with the law. Quit doing drugs - if you partake, don't consume alcoholic beverages to excess, mind your Ps and Qs
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Thanks for all replies. It must have been what they consider immaturity and the hour they spent on my Facebook page seeing that I enjoyed college life. Event though that would have no impact on how I would conduct myself as an officer or any other job. I think I will appeal the decision. It will be a long road and I will start a plan B, but won't totally give up. There was a lot of good advice given here on the Forum!

Comment

Hell yes apply other places, dont quit. If everyone who got rolled up by LAPD quit, there would be no cops in So.Cal. No one on here can tell you why your investigator dinged you except you. Maybe they just didn't like you, there civilian investigators, if they still do that are a joke in my opinion, cops need to hire cops, but thats for another post. I got rolled up by them and I get called Deputy 5 times a week for the past 15 years with no issues EVER!!! So was I a P.O.S. or did I get an investigator who maybe didnt like me or had to hire someone to mirror the community! Got me but APPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all replies. It must have been what they consider immaturity and the hour they spent on my Facebook page seeing that I enjoyed college life. Event though that would have no impact on how I would conduct myself as an officer or any other job. I think I will appeal the decision. It will be a long road and I will start a plan B, but won't totally give up. There was a lot of good advice given here on the Forum!
                  Actually, your past is often an indicator of how you will conduct yourself as an officer. While a minor misstep can be overlooked, a pattern of behavior often portends of future behavior. If your Facebook page is not what a reasonable and prudent person would come away thinking is reflective of someone who has their act together, you have some work to do. This does not mean you delete the page outright as this is frequently done and haunts folks; it means you take into account that photos or accounts of you doing inappropriate things may need to go away while you prepare frank and honest answers to questions about those depictions as they can almost always be recovered. And yes, they will frequently ask if you have recently modified your social networking page.

And FWIW “Enjoying college” could be interpreted to mean: partied every night while consuming copious amounts of alcohol and assorted illicit substances as I did other irresponsible things. While this may not be the case, your post eludes to such speculation.
                  Originally posted by SSD
                  It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.

Comment

As far as they know, it will have a direct impact on how you do your job. Colleges are certainly graduating alcoholics and sending them out into the work force.

Comment

i honestly do not know what would have dq'ed me. facebook was pretty clean pictures of parties and such but nothing illegal or immoral,i mean i went all the way to the review...it is heartbreaking as i want to serve and protect....i am 21 .this year grad 4 years...man dreams are shattered......ur letter offered some hope...what do u tell other agencies, i withdrew as my record would say or i was DQ'ed?....that whole thing makes no sense to me as i feel i would have to tell them i was DQ"ed anyway. i talked to city if i appeal and lose then my records will state DQ'ed.
                      Last edited by sarge82; 09-25-2012, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Hey sarge82.... is that your last name or were you prior service and obtained the rank of Sgt?

Anyways, do not lose hope since you were DQ'd by one agency, even though it is a large agency; continue applying elsewhere, everywhere.

You state you are graduating/graduated. Your grammar and syntax indicate otherwise.... maybe your train of thought has been obstructed by the recent DQ. However, I have witnessed people receive a DQ for the simplest demeanors or choice of words. "Yes" is more appropriate than "yeah." "No Sir" vs "Nah, you know?"

By the way, your dreams are not "shattered." It's not uncommon for 21 year olds to be immature or not have a strong grasp on the concept of ethics; you're not alone. Heck, 25 year olds nowadays behave like the 18-19s.

Comment

Where did you get your Bachelor's degree from if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Never Quit! EVER!

It is never in your best interest to give up. Let them keep saying "no", because you will improve, and their only other alternative is to say "yes". So until they do, keep working on yourself and keep a positive attitude- no matter how many years it takes.

But you don't quit, because the moment you do, you won't be there to hear them say "yes, come on in and show us what you've got".

Believe me, don't make the same mistakes I have.
                            Last edited by DCH; 09-26-2012, 04:11 AM.
                            Timelines:

CBPO
                            App: 2/12/09
                            Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                            Written: 2/20/09
                            NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                            TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                            App: 5/5/09
                            Geo: San Diego
                            Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                            NOR: 7/20/09
                            Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                            TO: 10/6/09
                            Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                            Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                            Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                            App: 8/17/10
                            Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                            TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

i honestly do not know what would have dq'ed me. facebook was pretty clean pictures of parties and such but nothing illegal or immoral,i mean i went all the way to the review...it is heartbreaking as i want to serve and protect....i am 21 .this year grad 4 years...man dreams are shattered......ur letter offered some hope...what do u tell other agencies, i withdrew as my record would say or i was DQ'ed?....that whole thing makes no sense to me as i feel i would have to tell them i was DQ"ed anyway. i talked to city if i appeal and lose then my records will state DQ'ed.

Take a moment and breathe.

Now, take what you posted and digest it. You said you got a letter that spelled out some very heavy concerns. You did not clarify what was at issue; and you should have some take on what it was.

Second, you said that after an hour of reviewing your Facebook page they must have come away with the impression that you “enjoyed college”. Suffice to say, based solely on those two points it is safe to assume from our perspective that you have issues. They may not be insurmountable, but there are likely things you need to work on. While you may not yet identify what they are, you need to self assess and figure it out.

Now, you need to assess what your status is with LAPD. This should be as simple as calling the Investigator who worked your case and asking “am I marked as a DQ or withdrawal from the process”. Once you know, you can work from there. I will however make important note at this point; regardless of your status with LAPD, from this point forward, anything and everything at issue with them is subject to review by any subsequent agency you make application to. In most cases you will be asked where else you have applied to and your current status with said agencies. Do not fall into the trap of leaving off a department where your got DQ’d, it will come back to haunt you.
                              Originally posted by SSD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4887 users online. 306 members and 4581 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X