Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD Questions

**** you UncleBitch
    Last edited by Kaendar; 08-07-2012, 03:43 PM.

While attending the academy, do you have to live there like a military boot camp, or do you go home every night?

You might wish you lived there, as you must alternate travel to one of three training facilities...Elysian park, Westchester, and Mission Hills.

What is the policy on tattoos? Ive seen plenty of LAPD officers as well as LASD officers with full sleeves, and some with neck/head tattoos, so does that mean they are acceptable? Just wondering because I have tattoos on my forearms.

No visible sleeves. You will always wear long sleeved shirts, or a cover over the single forearm tattoo if you're not full-sleeved.

What about past drug use? Ive never done actual drugs, only marijuana, which I have a current doctors recommendation for. How do they feel about applicants that have recently used medical marijuana in full compliance with the law? Of course I would be 100% clean for the drug test but im worried about the BI and poly.

The issue of MMJ and hiring had yet to come up, before I left. I would be the most amazed person on earth if they chose you over other applicants who did not use MMJ.

Ive read that at a certain point going on a ride along would be good. How would I go about going on one?

The phone number for any of the 21 LAPD stations can be found online, or at the LAPD website. Call the desk and ask to speak with a supervisor to schedule a raide-along.

If you get hired, do you have to carry a department issued weapon or can you bring your own.. and I mean as the primary handgun, not the backup (ill have a small .380 ruger for that).

LAPD issues duty weapons to recruits in the academy - getting caught with anything but your issued weapon is a big, hairy NO-NO. Once off probation you may switch weapons if the weapon you want is authoris]zed to be carried and your skills meet the requirements.

If for some reason they choose not to hire me during the process, how would one go about re applying or something like that?

If you are de-selected for medical reasons, say a heart murmur, you get to appeal and have you doctor (or other agreed upon medical third-party) give reasons why ity should not be an issue. Psych, same deal. Poly? I do not believe there's an appeal.

If they just had brighter bulbs on the tree, whom they chose over you and you "die" on the eligibility list, you get to go through the whole process, again.
    Last edited by Kieth M.; 07-12-2012, 08:56 PM.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The marijuana use will most likely disqualify you. You are still in violation of federal law. The underlying medical problem that causes you to use marijuana may also disqualify you.

Comment

Last edited by Kaendar; 08-07-2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaendar View Post
              Like I said, the use will stop if I get into the application process.. actually stop a few months in advance so that the drug test will be clean. One of the main reasons I use it is for inosmnia, they can just give me the night shift.
              Stopping it when you start the application process does not excuse the prior acts. It also seems like you don't have any medical need if you can stop at any time when attempting to get hired.

Comment

They would ask you in your preliminary background packet about drug use, which includes marijuana. Anything more than "experimental" is usually a red flag

Comment

And btw, ive seen plenty of on duty uniforms smoking weed..
                  Really? In Los Angeles? LAPD Cops? You say that during a BI, justifying your own current use and you will kill the careers of anyone you name...and if you refuse to name names, guess who won't be getting on LAPD.
                  Last edited by Kieth M.; 07-12-2012, 09:53 PM.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Like I said, the use will stop if I get into the application process.. actually stop a few months in advance so that the drug test will be clean. One of the main reasons I use it is for inosmnia, they can just give me the night shift.
                    Probationary employees will be rotated through all shifts, graves, swing, and days.

They are not going to issue a real gun and bullets to a MMJ user, I can't see it happening.

Are you, really, just pulling our collective legs and messing with us????

Please let us know if you make it though...I'm betting no.
                    Last edited by Kieth M.; 07-12-2012, 09:52 PM.

Comment

The DMV will suspended your license if they discover you have a medical card. I know because I write up driver's reveals all the time for medical smokers. So if you can't drive, it's hard to be a cop.

Comment

Comment

Comment

(Buries face in hands, sighs, and says...) "Ohhhh, sweet Jeebus!"

Kaendar, I spent 30 years at LAPD retiring as a sergeant in 2007. I am now a small town police chief in Colorado, where they allow MMJ (two outlets and two growers in my town). We police the communities of Colorado and uphold Colorado laws, but we also are not stupid enough to give badges, guns, ammo, (sometimes) fast cars, and the ability to take away people's freedom to police officers who actively, or "recently" used MMJ.

Again, I have sometimes been wrong about some things, but if I were a betting man, I'd be laying down some serious cash AGAINST you getting hired back there.

Warmest personal regards and best wishes in your future endeavors. I won't be killing any more electrons to contribute to this thread.

Comment

Last edited by Kaendar; 08-07-2012, 03:45 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5530 users online. 206 members and 5324 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X