300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy PAT question

How much running is typically involved in the academy? I overheard someone say they were running up to 5 miles by the end of the academy. Is that 5 miles non stop? Or 5 miles made up of smaller runs throughout the day? Do you run every day? What's the most you run non stop? I know that you are usually tested on the 1.5 or 2.0 mile run. So just trying to get an idea of the most you are expected to run non stop. thanks.

I think every academy does things differently. We ran about 2-3 miles with a 'warstick' (pvc pipe 4ft long 2 inches wide) that weighed about 12lbs. Runs are usually non-stop, unless someone can't keep up, then the rest of the class runs circles around that person while he/she rests and gets motivated by the RTO.

Comment

At my academy, we were very run heavy. The final portion of our PT test at the end of the academy was a 5 mile run in under an hour. Although our academy commander was -very- upset with the few who took longer than 45 minutes.

But we PT'd almost every day. Two days of running (one distance, one intervals) and two days of escalating density training (or a 300/WSTB/etc). Always at least two days of running every day.

Best advice: Start running now. Like, today.

Comment

Good info, thanks guys. I'm currently only at about 2 miles (17.5 minutes) so I know I have a lot of catching up to do.

Comment

That's a pretty good pace, above average in my class. Distance is the killer, though.

Comment

Every academy is different. I went to Rio Hondo our first run was about 2 miles but they saw how fit and in shape my class was and then went to about 3 miles for the 2nd run and up from there. I think we topped out at about 8 mile runs give or take. BUT every academy is different also I've heard that POST is changing the PT a little bit to. As far as running you run aka jog every where you go in the academy period. And yes the runs are no stop. if you can do about a 10min mile for at least 3miles you should be fine.

The runs do vary in length some days you will have a longer run than others. It really depends on many factors, class times, what tac staff or di's are leading the run and so forth.
            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
              Every academy is different. I went to Rio Hondo our first run was about 2 miles but they saw how fit and in shape my class was and then went to about 3 miles for the 2nd run and up from there. I think we topped out at about 8 mile runs give or take. BUT every academy is different also I've heard that POST is changing the PT a little bit to. As far as running you run aka jog every where you go in the academy period. And yes the runs are no stop. if you can do about a 10min mile for at least 3miles you should be fine.

The runs do vary in length some days you will have a longer run than others. It really depends on many factors, class times, what tac staff or di's are leading the run and so forth.

Yeah Mopar!...that sounds about right......I was Class 121 at hondo......average was about 1.5 - 2 miles the first month or so, then increased to about 3.5 - 4.....and our final run The "Pride" run.....was 8 miles,

for the OP.......the run was non-stop, however if we had to wait for the slower cadets,,,,we would drop and do push-ups until they caught up.........

Cadences were very helpfull.......and the indian run would break up the monotony!........I think "NIKE" hill was every other day!........

Comment

We PT'd 4 times a week: two days of running (starting at 2.5 miles; finished with 6) and two days of various activities; soccer, wrestling, weight lifting.

Our PT Instructors prided themselves on making Cadets in our class puke.

Comment

This is the recommended conditioning for the CHP Academy. Rest assured, by the time graduation comes around, cadets are running 6 or more miles.
                  b. Physical Training. Cadets are expected to pass a variety of Physical Fitness Tests and the Physical Performance Program Test. To prepare, cadets should be involved in some form of strength training program (a circuit weight training program is advisable). In addition, prior to reporting to the Academy, cadets should develop an endurance to:

(1) run at least three miles, three times a week, at an 8-minute-per-mile pace,

(2) perform 50 to 75 sit-ups (unassisted),

(3) perform 50 push-ups, and

(4) perform four pull-ups.

This will ensure each cadet meets the minimum incoming acceptable level.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by laco1x View Post
                    Yeah Mopar!...that sounds about right......I was Class 121 at hondo......average was about 1.5 - 2 miles the first month or so, then increased to about 3.5 - 4.....and our final run The "Pride" run.....was 8 miles,

for the OP.......the run was non-stop, however if we had to wait for the slower cadets,,,,we would drop and do push-ups until they caught up.........

Cadences were very helpfull.......and the indian run would break up the monotony!........I think "NIKE" hill was every other day!........
                    true that if you have an awesome tac staff that was former military doing cadence that helps BIG time.

For us they changed the Nike Hill run, we would run a small portion. From the yellow gate to the trash dumb buildings. At the top we did push ups sits up jumping jack, dt searches, what ever the tac staff wanted then job back down. Each time staff would move up 10 yards and each time we did something different, job, bear crawl, carry someone up etc. Made the pt go by faster.
                    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Best advice: Start running now. Like, today.
                      +10000000000000
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9696 users online. 411 members and 9285 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X