Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting prepared for CHP academy....

Hi everyone,

I am aware CHP is not accepting applications at the moment, but I looking to get as prepared as possible, as far as my physical fitness. I know running is a big part of it obviously. So how much miles should I be able to complete and within what time frame? I used to be a steady jogger and did around 5-7 miles every other day, but that was a few years ago. Now I'm slowly getting back to it, just pacing myself I don't want to get injured by over doing it. Any info would help, thanks!

http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/docs/873.pdf
    Originally Posted by Law100
    Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

Originally posted by Bgomez3435 View Post
      Hi everyone,

I am aware CHP is not accepting applications at the moment, but I am attempting to get as prepared as possible with respect to my physical fitness. I know running is a big part of it obviously. So how many miles should I be able to complete and within what time frame? I used to be a steady jogger and did around 5-7 miles every other day, but that was a few years ago. Now I'm slowly getting back in to it - just pacing myself so I don't want to get injured by over doing it. Any info would help, thanks!

Chapter 3 of this study guide should give you some insight into what is expected: Applicant Study Guide

May I also suggest that you work on your writing skills?
      Last edited by SgtCHP; 06-07-2012, 08:54 PM.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
        Chapter 3 of this study guide should give you some insight into what is expected: Applicant Study Guide

May I also suggest that you work on your writing skills?
        the texting generation.........( I can't type to save my own butt, but I can print ...) For some it's not their faults, as I've seen tests that emphasize marking answers "A,B,C,D,none of the above" over basic writing and GRAMMA!! ( hahaha, "grammar").

I just hope the original poster has drive and truly wants the CHP badge( which means he, or she) will do what it takes to be successful. I know being in L.E. has given me a decent life and lots of opportunities I may have never had - good luck bgomez, and do as SgtCHP suggests......
        Last edited by DOAcop38; 06-07-2012, 10:09 PM. Reason: added a few lines...
        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Start practicing 180s and triple nickels.

Comment

Thank you for that SgtCHP. Will do. You helped me realize I have a lot more to work on than just my fitness. haha

syphon157 - What are 180s and triple nickels?

Comment

CHP-555 (triple nickel) is traffic collision report. CHP-180 is basically tow sheet and vehicle inventory.
              Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
              Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by syphon157 View Post
                Start practicing 180s and triple nickels.
                oh come on now- THEY do MORE than that !!! I've seen the mess they deal with , and wouldn't want it! besides the fatality rates for CHP officers is ugly- auto collisions as well as violent confrontations with suspects. And from what I've heard ,their academy is fairly tough.
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyFan87 View Post
                  CHP-555 (triple nickel) is traffic collision report. CHP-180 is basically tow sheet and vehicle inventory.
                  Oh, I see. I almost thought he meant the shooting drill, triple nickels. Thanks for the info. I don't know where I would get those forms though.

Although I was originally asking for some advice on fitness anything you guys have to offer is appreciated. Joking around or not

Comment

I was being sarcastic. If you can get back to your old benchmark of 5-7 miles at a 7-8 minute mile pace you will be fine with the running. Work on pushups, situps, and pullups. If you can do 50,75, and 20 respectively without stopping (including the run) you will be fine.

Comment

Join a crossfit gym. But if you are in decent shape now...you really don't have to start working like crazy a year before. It doesn't hurt, but it isn't necessary. Since you haven't even applied yet, you should work on getting more education and job/life experience.

Comment

Originally posted by syphon157 View Post
                        I was being sarcastic. If you can get back to your old benchmark of 5-7 miles at a 7-8 minute mile pace you will be fine with the running. Work on pushups, situps, and pullups. If you can do 50,75, and 20 respectively without stopping (including the run) you will be fine.
                        I know- I'd joke they were triple A with a badge too( even when I was filling out 180s myself as the only thing we'd catch as "action" was some gardner driving by unlic'd!!- Nerve ,huh?~)

with a small exception, don't know many people who LEAVE the CHP, once they hire on...

Comment

Originally posted by A.D.D Cop View Post
                          Join a crossfit gym. But if you are in decent shape now...you really don't have to start working like crazy a year before. It doesn't hurt, but it isn't necessary. Since you haven't even applied yet, you should work on getting more education and job/life experience.
                          I believe I'm in decent shape but I will definitely continue working on it though. I just want this career opportunity really bad so I'm attempting to do everything I can to be ready when the time comes.

I'm currently enrolled at a local community college earning my AS Degree in Admin. of Justice (Law Enforcement). I also work full-time at a distribution center in town. I managed to promote very early at the age of 23. I'm a operations group lead (assistant supervisor) in the receiving department. Which makes me the youngest in the company with the title.

Comment

I'm right there with you on waiting for them to open up hiring. I just read officers will now be taking furloughs. In the mean time I'm just staying in shape and attempting to get accepted into a post graduate program.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoot_N_See View Post
                              I'm right there with you on waiting for them to open up hiring. I just read officers will now be taking furloughs. In the mean time I'm just staying in shape and attempting to get accepted into a post graduate program.
                              Where did you read that? The CHP is not having financial issues since their funding comes from the Transportaion Fund and not the General Fund. The General Fund is the money issue. As long as there is a need for Registration, Driver's Licenses, etc., the Transporation Fund will be solvent.

Granted, some pay raises may be withheld and benefits modified, but that should be expected. You cannot apply those measures to other state employees and allow the CHP to coninue differently.

I don't foresee any furloughs for CHP uniformed personnel. Neither have I heard such an action discussed.
                              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10083 users online. 373 members and 9710 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X