Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eligh15 yes the 2 @50 sucks, but if you have no retirement its ok. We will see if it get voted in this next week, I just sent my ballot few days ago. Another thing anticipate many agencies going to a second tier, CHP did it and now alot of agencies are following. Best of luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by htcguy1 View Post
      eligh15 yes the 2 @50 sucks, but if you have no retirement its ok. We will see if it get voted in this next week, I just sent my ballot few days ago. Another thing anticipate many agencies going to a second tier, CHP did it and now alot of agencies are following. Best of luck!
      No retirement, meaning new hires? Not sure I understand the second tier deal. If anyone would be willing to elaborate I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Comment

eligh15 yes the 2 @50 sucks, but if you have no retirement its ok. We will see if it get voted in this next week, I just sent my ballot few days ago. Another thing anticipate many agencies going to a second tier, CHP did it and now alot of agencies are following. Best of luck!
        Sorry guys! the economy is in the pits and won't be nice again for at least another 5 yrs( its cyclical just like the late 80s!) Add to it the current political attack on civil servants, EVEN fire and L.E.Os by the rightwing, and even now the "we support labor" Left wing, and this is the facts of life! 3%@ 50/55 was good when the money was there- it isn't now.

The most important thing is to get HIRED, make the pay, and stack your coin like you'd do as a civilian. The money will come eventually, and you'll not even worry about it-plus you will still need to have extra money investments( deferred comp, annuities, stocks, etc!) many Ca agencies provide better insurance and medical plans than what you can get in private industry, so there is still no need to lament the changes being made to keep local gov't going...
        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

• Paying our own retirement is a bummer, but the county offset our contribution with pay raises and step increases. I would rather pay into my own retirement, and have my money coming back to me, rather than take another pay cut or have it ****ed away somewhere else.

As far as us going to 2% at 50, it seems most agencies are moving in that direction anyway. And it was explained to me that if you get to 55, the percentage bumps up to 2.7%. If you go to 58, the percentage goes to 3%. So its still a great benefit, considering much of the nation's officers don't have a defined retirement plan, instead rely on a 401K or something similar.

Comment

• Any updates on the "tentative" agreement? Has it been finalized? Any other news? I read that article and Sniff is right, it is going to be very difficult for the county to keep deputies with retirement like that. I guess all you can do is get hired first, then worry about your retirement second. It's unfortunate because all I hear about RSO is good things.

Comment

• Members just turned in their votes on the new agreement. The votes will be counted on Tuesday with results given to members Tuesday night. The public should know Wednesday.

Comment

• Originally posted by dueurace View Post
                Members just turned in their votes on the new agreement. The votes will be counted on Tuesday with results given to members Tuesday night. The public should know Wednesday.
                Thank you for the response...do you work for the department, or is it something you heard/read?

Comment

• Angelsfan- I'm a CD with RSO and what Dueurace said is correct. sent my ballad last week, more than likely will be accepted in my opinion. Good luck. Oh another think, word had it that Sheriff's personel is 'beefing up" to get ready for this new hiring cycle. So I anticipate a decent push for CDs and Deps within the next year or so! Best of luck

Comment

Angelsfan- I'm a CD with RSO and what Dueurace said is correct. sent my ballad last week, more than likely will be accepted in my opinion. Good luck. Oh another think, word had it that Sheriff's personel is 'beefing up" to get ready for this new hiring cycle. So I anticipate a decent push for CDs and Deps within the next year or so! Best of luck
                    If it does go through, it will be hard for RSO to keep their new deps on board. As far as the hiring push, there is supposed to be an academy starting the end of July. Have you heard any confirmation of new deps being hired and thrown in that academy?

Comment

• Originally posted by AngelsFan View Post
                      If it does go through, it will be hard for RSO to keep their new deps on board. As far as the hiring push, there is supposed to be an academy starting the end of July. Have you heard any confirmation of new deps being hired and thrown in that academy?
                      You think a two tier retirement system with 2%@55 is going to make it hard to keep new deputies on? I doubt it, retirements are going to be getting overhauled everywhere and I wouldn't be surprised to see some places going to a defined benefit system over a pension. It's not like it is hard to find people to be cops right now, it's not hard to find people to do anything right now.
                      Originally Posted by Law100
                      Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

• Angelsfan- unless your just waiting for a academy day (menaing all steps are complete) there is no way you can make the DST academy in July. It took me 10 months to be hired in 2008 and I started the process in 2007, when things were ALOT faster.

As far as the retirement goes, I mean if you have nothing as far as retirement 2 @50 is not all that bad. But if you have someone who has the 3 @50 formula that is not an easy pill to swallow. So I have been telling people get what you can now, and maybe 2 or 3 conracts down the line we can get it back?

About RSO keeping good Deps/CD's were all keeping our formula, so all that means is that if any of us leave we better be sure. Because 3 @50 gonna be hard to find soon!

Comment

• I have heard 2 @ 50 isn't bad, but have also heard that it is horrible. Ideally, like you said HTC, maybe somewhere down the road the new hires could get the 3@ 50 back again. On RSO's website, it says that the last testing that one could do to be eligible for the July academy would be the June testing. Obviously the recruit would need a quick and flawless process in order to do so, but I guess it's possible. As for me, I have been in the process for quite some time and have been riding the wave (basically had to go through the process twice due to the expiration of tests) of becoming a DST. HTC, do you have any plans on becoming sworn?

Comment

• Angels- to be honest I thought about going to the "dark side" as I like to call it, I applied to be a CD since day one. After 4 years I think Im okay making 70k a year as a CD. I just took my Correctional Corporal test again for the second time, so maybe in the next few years I can promote. I sometimes think of the freedom being on patrol, but at the same time there is alot that goes on out on the streets that I want no part of. And as of late, there are some Deps I know around the county who are trying to reclass to CD because being sworn is not all what its cracked up to be! Everyone's situation is different, but no I'm ok for now lets just say I have plenty of time left to cross over if I ever do decided too!

Comment

• 70k a year as a CD ain't too shabby. I had an option to take a CD position as the dept wasn't looking for DST's when my process was complete. I ended up opting to hold out for the DST position when it became available. Kind of a risky move on my part but hopefully it will pay off one day. How was your academy experience?

Comment

• That June testing deadline for the July academy is for self-sponsored recruits. There is no way you get through the process in one month, regardless of how flawless your background is.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7769 users online. 303 members and 7466 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X