Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overtime is crazy right now. I've been on 4 years and can get as much overtime as I want. Idk where some people are saying only "salty dogs" get it. I wil agree that people should not buy the whole c.d. app thing, if you wanna be a deputy sheriff, go for it. 90% of my c.d. academy, applied to be sworn, but were sent to the c.d. class for one reason or another. I applied to be a c.d. since day one. I was only 20 years old then.
    Last edited by htcguy1; 04-06-2012, 09:57 AM.

Comment

htcguy1, or anyone else with the department, how do/did you like being a CD? I tested with them yesterday for both positions, and although I'd rather make it as a DST i'll gladly take a CD position. I just want my foot in the door. How do you like working for Riverside?

Comment

My info is about 10yrs old, but the job of a Deputy and a CD is pretty much the same when your in the jail. I didnt mind it. I was a Deputy in the jail. I knew a lot of guys who actually turned in their Deputy status and took the stripe off of their trousers and stayed CDs. I went back a couple months ago doing an extradition and they are still there as CDs. One is a CD Sgt. Its all in what your looking for. I personally couldnt wait to get out of the jail, others couldnt wait to get back in Again, that was 98-2000 time frame. Holy cow.....thats 13 yrs ago!!! Where does the time go?

Comment

Originally posted by lakeshow View Post
          htcguy1, or anyone else with the department, how do/did you like being a CD? I tested with them yesterday for both positions, and although I'd rather make it as a DST i'll gladly take a CD position. I just want my foot in the door. How do you like working for Riverside?
          Lakeshow,

I can tell you for me, I dont mind what I do! I'm not even topped out yet, and I'm making 70k a year in the jail! Sometimes I get fed up with new admin, but hey thats life. If your looking for experience in LE it will be a great way to get it. I dont pay too much mind to the whole Deputy Sheriff and C.Deputy stuff because we do the same stuff in the jail, minus the lame medical runs to the hospital (where by the way all they do is stand or sit on and looney inmate.) But as far as jail operations C.Deps are allowed to do more in the facility like gangs, and special assignments because thats our house. Another thing is our 3 and 4 days off a week, cant beat it!

Just think what you wanna do, and talk to someone in the field to see if it is all you make it up to be.

Comment

Correction Deputies can't carry off duty, correct?

Comment

CCW's are issued by the Sheriff to Correctional Deputies.... The Employee must request it, its not an automatic process. Got mine after year and a half probation period.

But to be honest 90% of C.Deps dont have CCW's due to the fact most of em dont care about having a gun off duty.
              Last edited by htcguy1; 04-07-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by htcguy1 View Post
                CCW's are issued by the Sheriff to Correctional Deputies.... The Employee must request it, its not an automatic process. Got mine after year and a half probation period.

But to be honest 90% of C.Deps dont have CCW's due to the fact most of em dont care about having a gun off duty.
                Thanks for the insight htcguy1.

Comment

To anyone who has taken the PAT lately, is the "track" for the 1.5 mile run still three laps around the weird dirt trail? Or have they changed the location? Thanks

Comment

I think anyone who applies for RSO should ask themselves what they really want to do. The department is big enough to accomodate all types. If you have no buring desires about being someone that investigates crimes and carries a gun, CD is a great spot. You'll have a steady schedule and relatively little stress. If you want to be a cop on the street, then go 100% for Deputy. I, like FlyingPig1, have a lot of classmates that gave back their stripe and stayed in the jail - they seem happy about it. There are a few, however, that got rolled up and still tell tales how they were slighted by the FTO sergeant. At any rate, decide what your priorities are and run with it. RSO is probably one of the only counties I know of with less of a severe distinction between sworn and classified personnel.
                    The Thousandth Man

Comment

Originally posted by AngelsFan View Post
                      To anyone who has taken the PAT lately, is the "track" for the 1.5 mile run still three laps around the weird dirt trail? Or have they changed the location? Thanks
                      Last time I was at BCTC (Dec.2011) the dirt track was still being used. I think its 4 laps now because they made it smaller. Fun times...ha ha not really 200+ "know it all" applicants who's "dad's cousin, brother in laws neighbor is a Deputy with RSO" informed them that RSO and L.E. is this, that and the other....ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by htcguy1 View Post
                        Fun times...ha ha not really 200+ "know it all" applicants who's "dad's cousin, brother in laws neighbor is a Deputy with RSO" informed them that RSO and L.E. is this, that and the other....ha ha
                        HA..HA..HA!

htcguy1--FTW!
                        Ignore List----DAL

"but I warranty you that I’ll be a better candidate than a kid that just got out of high school and self-sponsor himself."...Just another brain surgeon who's looking for a cop job on Officer.com.

Comment

Velcro,

Ya know what I'm saying right... no kidding. I had one ask me a question, and when I answered him (because I've been there, done that) he tells me I'm wrong because of someone he knows ( with a crazy link like I mentioned, said so). So I ended up telling him "ya know your right, I dont know what I'm saying...." ha ha

Comment

Funny. Those people are everywhere. I just had an interesting discussion with a guy telling me he had a friend who was just hired as a pilot by my agency. Hmmmm, No, sorry I say. "Yes, he did". He tells me. OK (as Im standing there in my flight suit) I finally just said, "OK, cool then. You should have him take you by the hangar for a tour after he gets settled." He says "I will" with that attitude of ...."and then Ill show you" kinda tone. Awesome

Comment

1tyme, what do you mean by people getting slighted by their FTOs? Do a lot of deps that go to patrol fail out of FTO? What are the most desired patrol districts at RSO?

Comment

Originally posted by lakeshow View Post
                                1tyme, what do you mean by people getting slighted by their FTOs? Do a lot of deps that go to patrol fail out of FTO? What are the most desired patrol districts at RSO?
                                The FTO program is not as hard as it used to be and they don't allow stressing out trainees like they used to. I could tell you stories what they used to do to people on FTO but it is best to keep it amongst people that have gone through it. If you want to work in a popping station go to MOVAL. They actually have areas where you are not supposed to go by yourself. I had some good times working OT at that station. If you want to drive around and do nothing and maybe get 2 reports a day go to the Banning station.
                                Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10423 users online. 443 members and 9980 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X