Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have said on this thread they are actively hiring. They have had the correctional deputy position open for a while now, but they are going to start hiring sworn deputies as well. They haven't hired any trainees for about a year now so they have to start hiring to compensate for regular attrition.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelsFan View Post
      What's the word with hiring? Anyone testing/applying? In the process?
      They ran a PAT last Wednesday so the first batch of background packets should be being turned in daily. I'm sure they'll be having another PAT soon.

Get your application in soon and get a written test date as soon as possible. Good Luck!

Comment

RSO just received $100 million to build an Indio jail expansion to keep up with AB109. The main push is to hire Correctional Deputies (CD's). Be aware that a CD starts at around $16 an hour for the first year with an big raise ($3-5 bucks) after completing the first year. So top ramen for a year if you take the job.

For those looking to become a deputy sheriff, get used to the jail setting. Deputies are currently spending around 5 years in the jail and new deputies should expect an even longer wait to hit patrol. The hours are nice in the jail, the work is easy, but the action is low. Expect to work out, catch up on reading, go to school, and wait in line for the next patrol car to open up.

Good luck to everyone in the process. The department is good, the county board of supervisors is a bunch of crooks. There will be a huge loss of personnel this year due to retirements and deputies lateraling out to city PD's, so spots should be opening up. Don't expect the Indio jail expansion to affect hiring until it is built.

Comment

Originally posted by dueurace View Post
          RSO just received $100 million to build an Indio jail expansion to keep up with AB109. The main push is to hire Correctional Deputies (CD's). Be aware that a CD starts at around $16 an hour for the first year with an big raise ($3-5 bucks) after completing the first year. So top ramen for a year if you take the job.

For those looking to become a deputy sheriff, get used to the jail setting. Deputies are currently spending around 5 years in the jail and new deputies should expect an even longer wait to hit patrol. The hours are nice in the jail, the work is easy, but the action is low. Expect to work out, catch up on reading, go to school, and wait in line for the next patrol car to open up.

Good luck to everyone in the process. The department is good, the county board of supervisors is a bunch of crooks. There will be a huge loss of personnel this year due to retirements and deputies lateraling out to city PD's, so spots should be opening up. Don't expect the Indio jail expansion to affect hiring until it is built.
          I'll Agree with alot of what you said. 16 bucks an hour to start and 22 ish an hour after the first year. C.Deps top out at 31 ish and hour with NO rank. Work is easy in some places if you go to Banning, Southwest and Riverside Jail's, due to their "Pod" set-ups. Indio Jail is #2 in the county with new bookings right behind Riverside jail, but indio will only have 15-17 Dep's working where as Riverside runs 45-50 Dep's. Another thing about Indio is the direct inmate contact is not seen in the other facilities due to their set-ups.

But yes, you can go learn alot in the jails, or you can be that 1 year out of the academy Dep Sheriff who is a "know it all" and be the S**t bag of the shift. I was just talking about it today, 1 year on to the new kids is like 20+ years. And all they do is fed chow and take a 242 report twice a year. All I can say is "earn your keep" weather your a Dep or C.Dep. Best of luck!

Comment

If you get a Correctional Deputy position, is there a direct path to become a regular Deputy. I have read that Deputies get sent to work the jails for a period of time, this is not a Correctional Deputy, right? You have to apply to become a Deputy Sheriff down the line?
            Originally Posted by Law100
            Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

Pappa....no there is no direct path, you have to re-apply. What you do get is a higher starting pay as a DST and as a Deputy Sheriff when you finish the academy (and you take your senority with you). But I've seen a few people who are lazy bags who get denided a Dep spot because their Sgt in the jail will not recommend em for hire.

Comment

Originally posted by htcguy1 View Post
                Pappa....no there is no direct path, you have to re-apply. What you do get is a higher starting pay as a DST and as a Deputy Sheriff when you finish the academy (and you take your senority with you). But I've seen a few people who are lazy bags who get denided a Dep spot because their Sgt in the jail will not recommend em for hire.
                Is there much OT to be had in corrections?

Comment

So I turned in my packet on the 29th of March so Thursday of last week. Has anyone gotten a call yet from their BI?

Comment

Originally posted by LEWANNABE View Post
                    Is there much OT to be had in corrections?
                    LOL is this a for real question? In Websters Dictionary you can see a picture of a C.O. next to the word Overtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Raidergx View Post
                      LOL is this a for real question? In Websters Dictionary you can see a picture of a C.O. next to the word Overtime.
                      Yes it's a for real question, I was referring to the Riverside County Sheriffs department. Are you talking about RSO as well, or are you speaking in general?

Comment

Originally posted by LEWANNABE View Post
                        Yes it's a for real question, I was referring to the Riverside County Sheriffs department. Are you talking about RSO as well, or are you speaking in general?
                        A fiend of mine, who is an RSO deputy, said there is OT, but usually it's given to those who have been on the department a while. He has been a deputy for over 4 years and has not been given any OT.
                        Also, he is in jails and been trying to go on patrol, no luck with that either.

Comment

Originally posted by LEdream0007 View Post
                          A fiend of mine, who is an RSO deputy, said there is OT, but usually it's given to those who have been on the department a while. He has been a deputy for over 4 years and has not been given any OT.
                          Also, he is in jails and been trying to go on patrol, no luck with that either.
                          i believe it also depends on where you're willing to work. My buddy got to go straight to patrol when he finished academy for RSO but he is out in the middle of nowhere (to me anyways)

edit: he also mentioned this only happened to 2-3 people in his class that he knew of
                          Last edited by EJ20; 04-05-2012, 02:21 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Originally posted by EJ20 View Post
                            i believe it also depends on where you're willing to work. My buddy got to go straight to patrol when he finished academy for RSO but he is out in the middle of nowhere (to me anyways)

edit: he also mentioned this only happened to 2-3 people in his class that he knew of
                            True.
                            When did this happen?

Comment

I'll put it simply: If you are from the region and don't mind lengthy a jails/court services assignment, by all means pursue RSO. I would suggest distributing your eggs evenly among hiring departments though. As of right now, sworn deputies are being sent to the jails in much higher numbers than patrol. If you want patrol ASAP, throw your name into a couple PDs.

And please DO NOT give in when a BI or anybody suggests you run the CD process alongside your sworn process. It is a fairly known tactic to weasel you into a CD position despite your intentions otherwise.
                              fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

Comment

not exactly sure when he finished academy. When he was going through the process like all of us, he kind of disappeared so he could concentrate on his goals. I believe he finished sometime between 2007 to 2008

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7243 users online. 367 members and 6876 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X