Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shades, I was also wondering what we have to buy. I know there are some things that agency sponsored students will still have to pay for, such a pistol, some minor equipment, extra uniforms, etc. I haven't been able to get a full answer explaining what we do pay for and don't pay for.

Would love more info from anyone who has gone through or is going through Riverside. Please don't answer if you're from another agency and guessing at what is USUAL. For instance, it is usual for an agency to pay for a sidearm, Riverside does not. Not trying to be rude, it just isn't at all helpful.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MrJeff; 09-28-2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• I have a question regarding the written exam. I have had no problem passing the written for LASD and I know Riverside's written is alot different. I have a friend that failed it today and he said he has no idea why. In regards to the timed section there is no way to get through all 70 questions. Did the people that passed this get through all 70? I wonder if he failed the personal question part? He only got through 50 of the vocab questions. Is that an automatic fail?? Any advice??

Comment

• Originally posted by Boo99 View Post
        I have a question regarding the written exam. I have had no problem passing the written for LASD and I know Riverside's written is alot different. I have a friend that failed it today and he said he has no idea why. In regards to the timed section there is no way to get through all 70 questions. Did the people that passed this get through all 70? I wonder if he failed the personal question part? He only got through 50 of the vocab questions. Is that an automatic fail?? Any advice??
        Actually, I was able to finish the 70 questions and the proctor was surprised that i missed a couple. But i write and read a lot...so i was familiar with most of the words. To be honest, i think its a little difficult to to fail the personal questions. Simply because not everyone's answers will be alike. Although it might have some affect on the overall results of the test, i doubt it was that significant. I think the 70 vocab questions were purposely given to show that you could think on your feet...on the spot knowing that you have 15mins to finish 70 questions is a little farfetched but doable. I personally did not expect a vocab test that day... and i definitely was not expecting such a short amount of time to complete it lol. 50/70 is what a C average? not completing 20 questions may have in fact caused a fail. Don't take my word for it....i wouldn't actually know that for a fact.

Comment

• If you get hired all you have to buy is a gear bag which includes: Water bottle, camel back, pt shorts, shirts and sweater. From what I hear thats about 350 bucks or so (they used to issue all that to CD's and DST's). Then you have to buy blk boots, blk socks, white under shirts. Once you start the range about week 10 you need your duty weapon and mag pouches. Everything else will be given to you. Tan and green BDU uniforms, sam browne, handcuffs, baton, vest, and ammo for the range.

You may want to buy extra things incase something happens, we used to take extra everything and keep it in our trunks. Believe me somebody will forget the smallest thing, and you will all pay for it.
          Anyhow good luck!

Comment

• Congrats and welcome aboard, studs. I wish I had current info on the Basic Academy but from what I remember, The Code of Ethics was drummed home in inspections. Also, Penal Code 15. Be early for EVERY event and know the Department's history, command staff and YOUR chain of command.

Our Department emulates the USMC so follow the Marines in your class for drill, commands, etc. Remember, your reputations have already started construction but now they will be built in front of proven Deputy Sheriffs. Your instructors will know people at your future duty stations and word travels fast.

In reference to duty gear, I don't really know what is issued now. Buy a good pair of boots and socks. I've worn them all and the best ones I've found are Danner Acadias and Thorlos Combat Boot socks. Buy a good handheld light and a pistol that works for you. I've gone through them all and now run a SIG P220 and SureFire Fury. Start saving some coin now because you will fork it out for a lot of kit to get started in this career. Lastly, bottle up some of the excitement and motivation you have now for the day you meet that gangster who wants to get it on or the baby you have to pull up from the bottom of a pool. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, studs, but any street cop on this CA forum will agree.

Our Department needs more Deputy Sheriffs who have big ears and small mouths. Cops who want to get dirty and learn the job the proper way. When you guys graduate, you'll feel like your sacks touch the toilet water. Feel it, but don't say it. Live by this rule and you'll dodge all the crap Trainees Hollywood and Ticket Puncher will get for ignoring it.

You've earned your place at the table now but you'll have to do it again several more times before you're considered a full-fledged Deputy Sheriff. Good luck and congratulations on the selections!
            The Thousandth Man

Comment

• I'm going Monday morning to get all my gear...so if any of the 2 that are also in the 189 th academy shoot me a pm and we can meet up at the Ben clark training center....I want to have everything squared away before the academy...seems like a bunch of stuff we have to obtain....and time is flying!

Comment

• Thanks for the great info htcguy1 and 1tyme!

Hoping I get to follow what all of ya'll are going through now in a few months. Glad to have all this info now to start saving and prepping.

Got the call this week for Psych on Thursday.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1tyme View Post
                  Our Department needs more Deputy Sheriffs who have big ears and small mouths. Cops who want to get dirty and learn the job the proper way. When you guys graduate, you'll feel like your sacks touch the toilet water. Feel it, but don't say it. Live by this rule and you'll dodge all the crap Trainees Hollywood and Ticket Puncher will get for ignoring it.
                  ^^^ A HUGE +1 to this...Single biggest issue I've seen trainees have lately at my station...
                  Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                  --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

• Originally posted by MrJeff View Post
                    Thanks for the great info htcguy1 and 1tyme!

Hoping I get to follow what all of ya'll are going through now in a few months. Glad to have all this info now to start saving and prepping.

Got the call this week for Psych on Thursday.
                    x2 on that....thanks htcguy1 and 1tyme

Comment

• Originally posted by Shades View Post
                      Actually, I was able to finish the 70 questions and the proctor was surprised that i missed a couple. But i write and read a lot...so i was familiar with most of the words. To be honest, i think its a little difficult to to fail the personal questions. Simply because not everyone's answers will be alike. Although it might have some affect on the overall results of the test, i doubt it was that significant. I think the 70 vocab questions were purposely given to show that you could think on your feet...on the spot knowing that you have 15mins to finish 70 questions is a little farfetched but doable. I personally did not expect a vocab test that day... and i definitely was not expecting such a short amount of time to complete it lol. 50/70 is what a C average? not completing 20 questions may have in fact caused a fail. Don't take my word for it....i wouldn't actually know that for a fact.
                      Thanks Shades, but it was 10 minutes not 15. I still find that difficult. I will tell him to start reading and doing more vocab type activities.

Comment

• Originally posted by bboynowee View Post
                        I'm going Monday morning to get all my gear...so if any of the 2 that are also in the 189 th academy shoot me a pm and we can meet up at the Ben clark training center....I want to have everything squared away before the academy...seems like a bunch of stuff we have to obtain....and time is flying!
                        bboynowee I was thinking about going to get my gear tomorrow as well. I tried sending you a PM but the site wouldn't let me.
                        Last edited by thatarmyguy85; 10-01-2012, 12:18 AM.
                        The ultimate is not to win, but to reach within the depths of your capabilities and to compete against yourself.

Comment

• I'll be at Ben Clark around 11 am...if you want to meet up...unless you want to meet up at a different time....let me know bud!

Comment

• I'll be there at 11 too.
                            The ultimate is not to win, but to reach within the depths of your capabilities and to compete against yourself.

Comment

• Alright...see ya tommorrow! I'll reply on this thread once I get there..

Comment

• Thanks htcguy1 and 1tyme for the great advice.

I will be going to get the gear Thursday morning with a couple other DST.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12680 users online. 473 members and 12207 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X