Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For you animal lovers out there :) spcaLA hiring for their LE Division

http://spcala.com/careers/career.php?id=15

Anyone out there work for or with spcaLA's finest?

Any info on them would be greatly appreciated

Comment

This isn't a...POST recognized agency, is it?
      Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
      Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizz View Post
        This isn't a...POST recognized agency, is it?

Not a POST agency.

It's a weird deal.

A private humane society can petition the court to appoint someone as a Humane Officer. Once the court does so, the Humane Officer is not a peace officer, but may exercise the powers of a peace officer at all places within the state in order to prevent the perpetration of any act of cruelty upon any animal and to that end may summon to his or her aid any bystander. A level 1 humane officer may use reasonable force necessary to prevent the perpetration of any act of cruelty upon any animal.

It's all found in 14500 through 14502 of the Corporations Code.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

so are they able to roll code 3 or do a traffic stop???????????

Comment

Originally posted by vincentemedrano View Post
            so are they able to roll code 3 or do a traffic stop???????????
            I don't see private humane vehicles mentioned anywhere in the VC definition of authorized emergency vehicles.

Comment

Job Related & Essential Qualifications:

Eligible to be sworn as a Level 1 Humane Officer per Corporations Code 14502.
              Satisfactorily complete a comprehensive background check (US Citizen, resident of California, no felony or job related misdemeanor convictions) within P.O.S.T. guidelines and selection requirements for peace officers including statutory and regulatory requirements mandated by P.O.S.T.
              Successful completion of a full Basic Police Academy (P.O.S.T. Certified).

Says you need a full POST basic.

Here's a pic of their vehicle with a red light bar ???

maytiryn.jpg
              aps_main.jpg
              cactuscooler
              Forum Member
              Last edited by cactuscooler; 02-13-2012, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cactuscooler View Post
                Job Related & Essential Qualifications:

Eligible to be sworn as a Level 1 Humane Officer per Corporations Code 14502.
                Satisfactorily complete a comprehensive background check (US Citizen, resident of California, no felony or job related misdemeanor convictions) within P.O.S.T. guidelines and selection requirements for peace officers including statutory and regulatory requirements mandated by P.O.S.T.

Here's a pic of their vehicle with a red light bar ???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8173[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]8174[/ATTACH]
                The light bar isn't red. The red is to the rear but if you look closely, the front portion illuminated is actually amber.

Comment

Originally posted by cactuscooler View Post

And your point is?

There is a difference between someone who actually is a peace officer and someone who is not a peace officer but who may exercise the powers of a peace officer.

Just because a job requires a POST certificate does not make the employee a peace officer.

Comment

Didn't this "department" get into trouble a few years ago when their members were caught buying restricted firearms while representing themselves as peace officers?
                    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I would like to point out being a POST "participating" agency has nothing to do with peace officer authority. POST is a voluntary training reimbursement program. Peace officer authority is derived from state laws, not any agency. There are even POST "participating" agencies that don't even employ peace officers (just dispatchers). You can read the quarterly minutes for the POST board and they document the coming and going of some agencies from the program. The community college departments come and go a lot.

If departments who employ sworn officers are not a POST participating agency they are still required by law to take the 40 hours of update every two years... but if you aren't a POST participating agency, the department doesn't get reimbursed.

Comment

So they fall under the category of "Persons who are not peace officers but may exercise peace officer authority?" i.e. Pepperdine DPS or USC DPS?

Also, authorized emergency vehicles can be any vehicle authorized as such by the CHP. Privately owned ambulances are operated by non-peace officers and non-governmental entities.
                        Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                        Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                          And your point is?

There is a difference between someone who actually is a peace officer and someone who is not a peace officer but who may exercise the powers of a peace officer.

Just because a job requires a POST certificate does not make the employee a peace officer.
                          L-1,

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to imply. My overall impression was to let possible candidates know that it's not a entry level position, and that a POST basic is required.

My comment about the light bar was made because usually humane/animal control officers don't have red mixed into a light bar. I am aware of how peace officer status is granted.

Comment

cactuscooler- from reading what the job postings says I didnt see that it required a basic post it simply said that one need to have graduated from a basic post academy, thats it. just because someone has graduated from an academy doesn't mean that you get your basic post. you receive an academy complete certificate. it takes being on the job for a year with an agency and getting of probation before post will issue a person a basic post certificate.

what i find funny and sad is that county/city animal control officers, that encounter the same issues that spcala does, do not carry fire arms. are they not doing the same job and facing the same risks??
                            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4649 users online. 310 members and 4339 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X