Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, Who's Handle?

Naked man jumps from ambulance, dies on CA freeway
    Traffic accident to be handled by CHP or suicide to be handled by locals?

Tustin, CA

TUSTIN, Calif. (AP) — The California Highway Patrol says a man has died after he jumped naked out of an ambulance on a freeway and was hit by a truck while trying to flee.

CHP Officer John Patterson told The Orange County Register (http://bit.ly/v477y5) the man began acting erratically Friday as the ambulance was northbound on Interstate 5 in Tustin.

The driver stopped in the center divider area and the man leaped out the back.
    Patterson says the man jumped over the divider's concrete wall, ran across southbound lanes and onto a connector road, where an off-duty deputy grabbed him and tried to calm him down.

Patterson says the man broke free and jumped in front of a pickup truck that struck and killed him. His name hasn't been released.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Chp handle. The traffic collision caused the death.

Whos to say sucide had anything to do in this case. Sounds like a 5150 who kept trying to get away, first the abulance, then the off duty deputy, broke loose from the dep and ended up getting tagged by a truck.The collision was an accident from his attempts of contiuneslly trying to get away not from him tring to kill himself.

Comment

Let the coroner handle it....
      Retired LASD

Comment

Was he on a 5150 hold while in the ambulance?

If so I would say both...CHP does the accident report and the locals do a supplemental to the 5150.
        The ambulance was just transporting him for that agency...so basically he's under that agencies care, custody and control.

Off duty just got 4 hours OT and an incident report to CYA.

If he wasn't under a 5150 hold, then the jurisdiction of where the overpass is located and CHP for the impact report.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

1, 2, 3...not it.
          Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
          Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

CHP report for the TC. Deputy will need a use of force report.

Comment

Here there is no apparent crime, so I would expect CHP to handle. But my understanding is that CHP now sometimes handles crimes that occur on the freeway.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

He was either 5150 or 11550. CHP handle....
                sigpic
                Originally posted by Smurfette
                Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                Originally posted by DAL
                You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Why is there even a question? CHP.

Comment

Definitely CHP, if only because the locals would shut down the freeway for too long to do their investigation, causing the Secretary of Business, Transportation and Housing along with the Governor to jump down Uncle Joe's throat.

Remember, that's how the head of Caltrans got canned in Orange County several years ago. Traffic must be kept flowing at all costs. (sigh)
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Definitely CHP handle. However, I would be interested in knowing how that individual got into the ambulance. Did another law enforcement agency call an ambulance to transport the person? If so, this is a perfect example of passing the buck. If this is the case, which I'm not saying it is, then someone just opened a can of worms. Let the lawsuits begin.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
                        He was either 5150 or 11550. CHP handle....
                        Except CHP gets upset when they encounter those! They call for mutual aid

Comment

Give it all to the poor guy on break-in

Comment

Dep handle. Although not my handle, I was assist....over the summer dude jumped off overpass onto freeway and lands....gets run over....one wit said "believed" alive when hit frwy....HMFIC said nope, and we bought it.
                            The RANGER God cried from above
                            Lightning flashed from the darkened sun
                            Hailstones fell and the earth did mourn
                            It was a solem day for all Airborne
                            June 2001 will be
                            A tragic piece of RANGER history
                            Time stood still on that cursed day
                            Cuz legs were donning black berets

Comment

In my neck of the woods we would handle it all. Doesn't CHP have the authority to investigate any crime/incident of any nature within the State?

This reminds me of a deal I had a few years ago....

One night I come on 2200, and start towards the office to get caught up on some paperwork, since I'm FTOing a new Troop the next day from the academy. As I'm rolling through a (unnamed) city I observe a guy and gal beating the hell out of each other inside their car at a red light. I flipped the lights, get them separated and advise dispatch of what I got and ask if any city units are close to help me figure this cluster out. They are both beat the hell out of each other.....Low and behold the city units start arriving. I'm thinking, in their city limits, no doubt one of their units will pipe up and take this mess off my hands, especially since I don't need the paper with a new guy starting field training the next day. Not one of them offered to take it!
                              So I hooked both of them up for DV, took them to their PD, processed them, (took pictures, got statements, the whole nine yards) with the very same officers who were on scene watching.

Turned out to be a horrible night, because after I got done with those two clowns, a fellow Trooper called me that works an adjoining county and told me he had two drunks hit each other head-on in his county and asked if I could get a blood draw from one of the drunks who was transported to a hospital in one my counties. So had to drop the DV report I was trying to crank out and head to the med center, but of course before I even made it there I had a guy blow my doors off right pass me at over 100+mph, which resulted in a pursuit…..

Needless to say, the rook spent his first day on FTO watching me type reports.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4024 users online. 191 members and 3833 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X