Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief's Oral

Hey ladies and gents,

I have a chief's oral this week. I have done some preparation, but I'm not entirely sure what I should be focused on and what to have prepared. I'm looking for some suggestions of what to study and what to know before going in there. I'd appreciate any little help I can get. Also any tips in general would be great.

Thanks in advance!

What Department?

I have never been to a Chief's Oral but I imagine he will want to see first hand who the prospective hire(YOU) are all about. Be respectful, humble but confident. Be able to articulate why you want to work for that agency and be able to speak about specifics of that agency. Know about any current events involving the agency. That is just my guess.

Comment

Depending on the agency, the "Chief's Interview" may be with the chief, a captain, a lieutenant, etc.

Recently we've been doing our C.I. with the Personnel & Training Lt., Sgt. and the background officer.

Be ready to talk about yourself, the agency and your views on any local/law enforcement current events. They may be looking for your opinions on certain issues.

Some are easy, some are not. Be ready for anything.
      Last edited by velcrostripes; 10-10-2011, 06:42 PM.
      Ignore List----DAL

"but I warranty you that I’ll be a better candidate than a kid that just got out of high school and self-sponsor himself."...Just another brain surgeon who's looking for a cop job on Officer.com.

Comment

Having knowledge about the department is important, however, it's just as important to know about the city as well. You should know about the crime stats, the city's ongoing problems, who the mayor is (if they have one), what are the demographics, etc.

Comment

Additional Trivia

Most California agencies work under something called the Rule of Three. They can fill a vacancy taking anyone from the top three test scores on the hiring list. If there is one vacancy they can pick anyone in ranks 1, 2 or 3. If there are five vacancies they can pick any five people from ranks 1 through 8.

The purpose of the Chief's interview is to pick those candidates that seem like they are the best fit. Best fit can mean anything: that you make a good impression, possess a unique skill, sound like you possess the same philosophy as the chief. It's sort of a crap shoot and literally depends on what is important to the chief, which will vary from department to department. As the others have said, all you can do is go in there, be humble and make your best impression.

Should you not be picked, your name will remain on the top of the list and you will be considered again against the remaining top candidates when the next vacancy comes up. This process will continue until your are hired, the list is exhausted, or the list expires, whichever comes first.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by velcrostripes View Post
            Depending on the agency, the "Chief's Interview" may be with the chief, a captain, a lieutenant, etc.

Recently we've been doing our C.I. with the Personnel & Training Lt., Sgt. and the background officer.

Be ready to talk about yourself, the agency and your views on any local/law enforcement current events. They may be looking for your opinions on certain issues.
            I know for certain I will be meeting the chief. I've met with the Lt. several times already and he seems to like me. The agency is ~200 sworn and the Chief requires that he meets with every candidate before giving a COE. I feel my views are pretty in line with this department, so hopefully I can articulate that well enough.

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
            Most California agencies work under something called the Rule of Three. They can fill a vacancy taking anyone from the top three test scores on the hiring list. If there is one vacancy they can pick anyone in ranks 1, 2 or 3. If there are five vacancies they can pick any five people from ranks 1 through 8.

The purpose of the Chief's interview is to pick those candidates that seem like they are the best fit. Best fit can mean anything: that you make a good impression, possess a unique skill, sound like you possess the same philosophy as the chief. It's sort of a crap shoot and literally depends on what is important to the chief, which will vary from department to department. As the others have said, all you can do is go in there, be humble and make your best impression.

Should you not be picked, your name will remain on the top of the list and you will be considered again against the remaining top candidates when the next vacancy comes up. This process will continue until your are hired, the list is exhausted, or the list expires, whichever comes first.
            Thanks for this information. Luckily I applied at an agency with 10 openings and last I heard, half of those are remaining. It makes me nervous knowing there is not a structure to all Chief orals. I had gone through one before at my current department, so I have a general idea of what's to come.

Comment

So which department are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                Most California agencies work under something called the Rule of Three.

YMMV: In some cities (ie: where I worked) if you were passed over three times, you were DQ'd from further consideration. It didn't happen often, but it was possible.
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

From what I remember during my cheif's interview a few years ago; I basically sat there and listened to him explain his expectations of his officers; how his station is run; what to expect from my training FTO; how to conduct myself out on the field- that any acts of cowardice will be grounds for disciplinary action or termination; that if I found mysel fback on the outside, it's because I put myself there, and that no one is out to get me fired- to basically take responsibility for myself.

He asked if I had any questions for him after about fifteen minutes of me sitting there nodding my head at his speeches, I said I didn't, and then we both stood up and he shook my hand and said "Do a good job"
                  Timelines:

CBPO
                  App: 2/12/09
                  Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                  Written: 2/20/09
                  NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                  TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                  App: 5/5/09
                  Geo: San Diego
                  Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                  NOR: 7/20/09
                  Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                  TO: 10/6/09
                  Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                  Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                  Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                  App: 8/17/10
                  Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                  TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

Originally posted by Hardcharger79 View Post
                    What Department?
                    Originally posted by JoJoB View Post
                    So which department are you talking about?
                    If I decide to disclose the agency, I will do so at a later time. I won't say which until after the interview.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck. Obviously every chief's interview is different. When I had mine, as soon as I walked in, he took off his tie and told me to loosen mine up. He let me know that it was very informal and was more of an introduction to the police department. He told me a little more about the city and his expectations of everyone on the department. He told me about his background and where he came from prior to becoming chief of that particular city. He asked me about an injury that I was dealing with at the time, my expectations for getting healthy, then he gave me my conditional job offer and sent me up for psychological testing. Whatever city it is for, be prepared for current events and happenings in the area. Again, good luck.

Comment

Thanks all for the responses. Today's oral went well and I was given a conditional offer. Now I need to pass the medical and psychological.

Comment

Congrats CPDEMT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Hardcharger. Good luck on your pre-poly interview.

OCSD Class 200, here I come!
                              Last edited by CPDEMT; 10-12-2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4390 users online. 225 members and 4165 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X