• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ha ha ha Mack pimp... Ha ha

Comment

• No but really Mack pimp? Doesn't seem like sfpds finest

Comment

• Originally posted by williampenn View Post
        Mr. Pimp wrote about his experience in trying to become a police officer in SF but he was inaccurate about many things so I'm going to set the record straight here.
        First, the SFPD is one of the biggest mass hiring agencies in the country and your chances of getting hired here without having any friends or relatives in the Department are extremely good as long as you meet the requirements. You absolutely do NOT need to "know someone or have family" in order to get in---despite what Mr. Pimp alleges.

Out of town applicants are consistently hired and retained by the SFPD.

Mr. Pimp made a valid point about the PT test, the PT/DT portion of the Academy, and looking professional when going in for the interview.

The assertion that the process will end for those of you "without connections" once you get to the BG interview is totally false. In fact, 80% of applicants that are hired and retained by the SFPD do not have any type of connection within the Department.

SFPD is one of the best paid police departments in the nation. If Mr. Pimp made more money at his previous career, and money was an issue with him, perhaps he should have stayed with that other job. Recruits must pay for their academy uniform (about $400) but once you become a cop, the Department picks up the cost of the uniform-plus you are provided with a uniform salary each year.
        During the academy training, you donate to the class fund-a minimal amount--and this fund goes towards the academy's graduation party.
        You are not charged to attend volunteer events.

Mr. Pimp says he was dismissed because he failed a test. If a recruit fails a test at the academy, they are remediated and then they are given the opportunity to retake that same test. 99.9% of all recruits pass the test the second time around.

It is true that not everyone makes it through the Academy, but it costs the City money to fund these classes and the last thing we want to see is someone flunk out. Every effort is made to keep the recruits that are selected for training and when someone gets "the boot" its not because the staff doesn't like that person or is out to get them--there's always more to it--we just didn't get the rest of the story from Mack Pimp. So, I would take Mr. Pimp's post with a grain of salt-he couldn't cut the muster and he blew his opportunity. I guess it just wasn't in the cards for someone who calls himself Mack Pimp to become one of SFPD's finest...
        Good post! Incidentally, I was hired with no connections at all with the Department or any other City service. Shoot, after basically a whole career on Mids, I still don't have much name recognition or "juice" in the Department.

Sometimes people just aren't meant to be Police Officers, or the timing wasn't right. I thank the universe, or God, for the opportunities I have been given and where it has led me. It is an imperfect career, yet it was perfect for me. I have some things I wish had gone differently, and a lot of lessons learned the hard way; but I don't live with that regret, and am thankful that the lessons have given me new insight on who I am and have taught me things that still get me home at the end of every shift.

Choosing to be a Police Officer in San Francisco, and persevering through the process, is not something I would go back and change.
        "Oro En Paz, Fierro En Guerra"
        "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
        - Attributed to both George Orwell and Winston Churchill (unsourced)
        Californian by birth, Cardinals fan by marriage!

Comment

• Just got the email from BG WOOOOO. Sorry for showing excitement. I have been waiting since May.
          Last edited by Mg0328; 08-19-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mg0328 View Post
            Just got the email from BG WOOOOO. Sorry for showing excitement. I have been waiting since May.
            What email ? For the general meeting?

Comment

• No. It just says that my Background Investigator has been assigned. I am still far behind in the process.

Comment

• Well at least you're moving along now

Comment

• Originally posted by calcava mp View Post
                  Well at least you're moving along now
                  Yea I know. It's like they say, stay patient. I am glad I did not worry much when everyone else was getting the call or receiving emails.

Comment

• Any other updates? Solid academy dates or anything?

Comment

• The next academy is scheduled for September, followed by another class in January.

Originally posted by calcava mp View Post
                      Any other updates? Solid academy dates or anything?

Comment

• Originally posted by williampenn View Post
                        The next academy is scheduled for September, followed by another class in January.
                        Any idea when in September?

Comment

• Be patient!
                          Last edited by jw1984; 12-15-2014, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Good to know thanks

Comment

• The Sept academy has been delayed to the 29th.

Originally posted by calcava mp View Post
                              Any other updates? Solid academy dates or anything?

Comment

• P Fox if you're there pm me or text me I'll help you with meeting the weight standards

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10739 users online. 500 members and 10239 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X