X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fingers crossed. We've all been waiting

«Army MP»

Comment

• Yep received an clarification e-mail as well. So hoping I get a call from backgrounds concerning my BI, poly and all that good stuff soon. Patience is key. Thanks everyone for sharing any updates!

Comment

• I sent my packet back at the end of April. I am also from the East Coast (NJ) and I do believe the meeting is mandatory. Interestingly it said wear casual so I am trying to figure out what to wear, I still want to be presentable.

Comment

• Dress to impress. Although it states causal. Look sharp, look clean, look presentable. suit and tie.

Originally posted by dkman View Post
          I sent my packet back at the end of April. I am also from the East Coast (NJ) and I do believe the meeting is mandatory. Interestingly it said wear casual so I am trying to figure out what to wear, I still want to be presentable.

Comment

• Originally posted by dkman View Post
            I sent my packet back at the end of April. I am also from the East Coast (NJ) and I do believe the meeting is mandatory. Interestingly it said wear casual so I am trying to figure out what to wear, I still want to be presentable.
            You can't make a bad imperssion with a suit and tie. Casual usually means dress nice and presentable. How long did it take you to hear something after sending in the packet? I sent my packet 3 weeks ago but I am cerrently in SF since I moved. Thanks! & as I mentioned If I was you I would dress nice regardless of what type of meeting or interview I have unless of course it was a PT test.

Comment

• rollaspeed1,

Just relax, be honest and explain why you did certain things if any. Some try to grill you on certain questions but as long as you are showing integrity in your answers and feeling confident you will be good. They will want to know everything. My last BI was almost 3 hours so expect to be there a while. Good luck, relax, be confident and HONEST. Integrity is a priority <<<.

Comment

• Until recently I never heard anything after I mailed in packet except for some email that was a mistake. Note I did send it at the end of the time period so that would probably be why.
                Originally posted by K_Jaay View Post
                You can't make a bad imperssion with a suit and tie. Casual usually means dress nice and presentable. How long did it take you to hear something after sending in the packet? I sent my packet 3 weeks ago but I am cerrently in SF since I moved. Thanks! & as I mentioned If I was you I would dress nice regardless of what type of meeting or interview I have unless of course it was a PT test.

Comment

• Any updates anyone ?

«Army MP»

Comment

• So for those in the hiring process with SFPD or those thinking about SFPD I thought I would share my experiences with them. I was recently given the boot from the academy for failing a test. As getting fired from a job that took me over a year to get takes a lot of steam out of a man, I've decided to hang up this law enforcement thing, which is why I will now share my experiences. Normally I refrain from posting this type of stuff on the inter webs, but I dont really care that much any more.

First and foremost let me tell you that if you dont know someone with connections, your chances of getting in are slim to none. Within my academy class every person in the class knew someone and about 1/3rd had family in the department. Moreover, If you are from out of town you will waste a lot of time and money on this process. I was not located in SF at the time I applied, I had to fly to SF 6 times for the process. After the flights, other expenses, and the cost of moving, the whole process cost me ~$7500; all I have to show from that is an unemployment check now. SFPD has a real elitist attitude that if you want this job your going to do what they tell you.

Now for the process it self; bear in mind it has changed slightly.

- First the written test you take is basic English; if your English is solid then you stand a good chance of passing. However, while they like to say that a good score makes you look better; in reality they are going to advance people that have connections.

- Second if you pass the written test you will then take the PT test (connections dont come into play just yet). The test I took was a joke, I just ran around their mat room twice jumping over some stuff and pushing some heavy items. I hear they now have a real test. I will say the PT in the academy is pretty tough. At the end you get a personal history packet to send in. This is basically your background packet, send this in fast.

- Third so if you've passed the PT test you now get to interview; they basically give you a sheet of 6 questions and give you 5 minutes to study them before you talk to the interviewers. You will talk to two officers in a little room. I think they change the questions regularly, because the questions I was asked were different to the ones my friend who came in a few years earlier was asked. They mainly want to see that your personable and not crazy. Also make sure to answer your questions in the STAR format, ill let you look that one up. Moreover, make sure you wear a suit, I saw some other people there just wearing street cloths, or there was one guy that wore a suit but had sneakers on.... (a million dollars up top, 50 cents on the bottom) look professional, get a haircut, shave.

- Fourth, now the interview is where the process ends for all those without connections.... sorry. For those with connections you will get a phone call from a background investigator at some point asking you to come in. He/She will ask you to bring a bunch of documents and they will go over your personal history while your there. Also, they wont tell you in advance, but they will ask for some hair for a drug test.

- Fifth, you now need to go take a polygraph. If you have never taken one, a polygraph is a terrible experience. The guy will ask very broad questions; did you lie on your application? do you have anything to hide? Moreover, its quite strange since you literately take the Poly in a random motel off the interstate. The poly is basically a crap shoot, you can be telling the truth and the guy can think your lying based on his magical machine. However, of all the poly's I've taken, SFPD was by far the easiest and the one you have the best chance at passing.

- Sixth, you go to SF General Hospital for a physical exam. This is real simple, you are either healthy or you aren't.

- Seventh, you go take another drug test, this time a urine test. Why two tests? only god knows, its a bit silly. Anyway's this is in a building down town; there's no parking FYI.

- Eighth, the final step of the processes is an interview with the psychiatrist. This is rather important, because if he thinks your crazy you wont get hired. You will first answer an extremely long Scranton that asks about 800 questions last I recall. The questions generally ask you the same thing in a few different ways; IE do you want to kill you self? have you ever thought about suicide? Filling in this Scranton takes forever and is very unpleasant. From there you speak with the Psyc for a bit and he either decides if your crazy or not. The meeting with the Psyc took only 10 minutes for me.

From this point your either hired or your not; they hold a board and decide who they want. You generally only get two weeks of notice from the date your notified to when you start. However, dont lose hope; sometimes they throw people in last minute. There were a few people in my class that were thrown in a day or two after the academy started. They literally got a call at home or work and asked if they can be at the academy in an hour.

Now based off my experiences I would say if your from out of town and you dont know any one, dont even apply; you will just get your hopes up and lose a bunch of money. If your in town and dont know anyone, you can apply if you have nothing better to do, but dont get too excited. If you dont know anyone odds are you'll never get a phone call from a background investigator.

For the dept it self; ill start with the pay. I personally was rather surprised how much they took for the pension. I was paid about the same amount in my old job and after taxes I literally took home about 1000 dollars less a month then I used to make. Moreover, this process sucks money out of you like no tomorrow. You have to spend about $500 of your own money to buy your uniforms, there will be tons of people asking for your money in the Academy. Moreover, there are a lot of "Volunteer" events that you have to attend, they will cost you money to attend them. The Academy is like being in high school, there's too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Rumour spreads around like wild fire, tell no one anything remotely important. As far as discipline, the academy is basically a joke, its very easy in that regard. It is however a high stress environment because you know you can be fired at a moments notice, which is basically what happened to me. You fail anything twice your done. One day I was getting along fine, before I knew it I'm brought into the office, told I failed something, then they ask for all their sh*t back. I personally feel I was failed for a ridiculous reason, I did something on a test that I wasn't told not to do in the training. I wont say too much, even thou I dont care any more, I dont necessary want to throw out my identity. I know some of my classmates and others in SFPD monitor this forum. Frankly, I feel that one of the staff didn't like me and failed me to get rid of me. To add, I didn't make it far enough to see, but from what I hear If you dont know people you will have a hard time moving up in the department or moving to specialized units..... something to consider.

As you can probably tell I am very bitter at the SFPD, so take my observations for what their worth; all SFPD got me was unemployed. Frankly I dont ever want to come back to SF to ensure that the SFPD fiefdom never gets another cent of tax money from me. SFPD is truly a good old boys club.

I hope all of those trying to get in make it in somewhere, just know what your getting into with SFPD. I devoted two years of my life trying getting into law enforcement... law enforcement won in my case, best of luck to the rest of you.
                    Last edited by Mack_Pimp; 08-16-2014, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mack_Pimp View Post
                      So for those in the hiring process with SFPD or those thinking about SFPD I thought I would share my experiences with them. I was recently given the boot from the academy for failing a test. As getting fired from a job that took me over a year to get takes a lot of steam out of a man, I've decided to hang up this law enforcement thing, which is why I will now share my experiences. Normally I refrain from posting this type of stuff on the inter webs, but I dont really care that much any more.

First and foremost let me tell you that if you dont know someone with connections, your chances of getting in are slim to none. Within my academy class every person in the class knew someone and about 1/3rd had family in the department. Moreover, If you are from out of town you will waste a lot of time and money on this process. I was not located in SF at the time I applied, I had to fly to SF 6 times for the process. After the flights, other expenses, and the cost of moving, the whole process cost me ~$7500; all I have to show from that is an unemployment check now. SFPD has a real elitist attitude that if you want this job your going to do what they tell you.

- First the written test you take is basic English; if your English is solid then you stand a good chance of passing. However, while they like to say that a good score makes you look better; in reality they are going to advance people that have connections.

- Second if you pass the written test you will then take the PT test (connections dont come into play just yet). The test I took was a joke, I just ran around their mat room twice jumping over some stuff and pushing some heavy items. I hear they now have a real test. I will say the PT in the academy is pretty tough. At the end you get a personal history packet to send in. This is basically your background packet, send this in fast.

- Third so if you've passed the PT test you now get to interview; they basically give you a sheet of 6 questions and give you 5 minutes to study them before you talk to the interviewers. You will talk to two officers in a little room. I think they change the questions regularly, because the questions I was asked were different to the ones my friend who came in a few years earlier was asked. They mainly want to see that your personable and not crazy. Also make sure to answer your questions in the STAR format, ill let you look that one up. Moreover, make sure you wear a suit, I saw some other people there just wearing street cloths, or there was one guy that wore a suit but had sneakers on.... (a million dollars up top, 50 cents on the bottom) look professional, get a haircut, shave.

- Fourth, now the interview is where the process ends for all those without connections.... sorry. For those with connections you will get a phone call from a background investigator at some point asking you to come in. He/She will ask you to bring a bunch of documents and they will go over your personal history while your there. Also, they wont tell you in advance, but they will ask for some hair for a drug test.

- Fifth, you now need to go take a polygraph. If you have never taken one, a polygraph is a terrible experience. The guy will ask very broad questions; did you lie on your application? do you have anything to hide? Moreover, its quite strange since you literately take the Poly in a random motel off the interstate. The poly is basically a crap shoot, you can be telling the truth and the guy can think your lying based on his magical machine. However, of all the poly's I've taken, SFPD was by far the easiest and the one you have the best chance at passing.

- Sixth, you go to SF General Hospital for a physical exam. This is real simple, you are either healthy or you aren't.

- Seventh, you go take another drug test, this time a urine test. Why two tests? only god knows, its a bit silly. Anyway's this is in a building down town; there's no parking FYI.

- Eighth, the final step of the processes is an interview with the psychiatrist. This is rather important, because if he thinks your crazy you wont get hired. You will first answer an extremely long Scranton that asks about 800 questions last I recall. The questions generally ask you the same thing in a few different ways; IE do you want to kill you self? have you ever thought about suicide? Filling in this Scranton takes forever and is very unpleasant. From there you speak with the Psyc for a bit and he either decides if your crazy or not. The meeting with the Psyc took only 10 minutes for me.

From this point your either hired or your not; they hold a board and decide who they want. You generally only get two weeks of notice from the date your notified to when you start. However, dont lose hope; sometimes they throw people in last minute. There were a few people in my class that were thrown in a day or two after the academy started. They literally got a call at home or work and asked if they can be at the academy in an hour.

Now based off my experiences I would say if your from out of town and you dont know any one, dont even apply; you will just get your hopes up and lose a bunch of money. If your in town and dont know anyone, you can apply if you have nothing better to do, but dont get too excited. If you dont know anyone odds are you'll never get a phone call from a background investigator.

For the dept it self; ill start with the pay. I personally was rather surprised how much they took for the pension. I was paid about the same amount in my old job and after taxes I literally took home about 1000 dollars less a month then I used to make. Moreover, this process sucks money out of you like no tomorrow. You have to spend about $500 of your own money to buy your uniforms, there will be tons of people asking for your money in the Academy. Moreover, there are a lot of "Volunteer" events that you have to attend, they will cost you money to attend them. The Academy is like being in high school, there's too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Rumour spreads around like wild fire, tell no one anything remotely important. As far as discipline, the academy is basically a joke, its very easy in that regard. It is however a high stress environment because you know you can be fired at a moments notice, which is basically what happened to me. You fail anything twice your done. One day I was getting along fine, before I knew it I'm brought into the office, told I failed something, then they ask for all their sh*t back. I personally feel I was failed for a ridiculous reason, I did something on a test that I wasn't told not to do in the training. I wont say too much, even thou I dont care any more, I dont necessary want to throw out my identity. I know some of my classmates and others in SFPD monitor this forum. Frankly, I feel that one of the staff didn't like me and failed me to get rid of me. To add, I didn't make it far enough to see, but from what I hear If you dont know people you will have a hard time moving up in the department or moving to specialized units..... something to consider.

As you can probably tell I am very bitter at the SFPD, so take my observations for what their worth; all SFPD got me was unemployed. Frankly I dont ever want to come back to SF to ensure that the SFPD fiefdom never gets another cent of tax money from me. SFPD is truly a good old boys club.

I hope all of those trying to get in make it in somewhere, just know what your getting into with SFPD
                      So, you must have had a connection within the department, right? That's how you got hired?

Ridiculuous....

Comment

• That sounds bitter. Sorry you were kicked out, but thats one way of looking at it. I think most applicants know how much connections really help (a lot), and those without it sit back and take it into account. Instead of saying i can't get in or make it, ask yourself HOW CAN I get in or make it. Do I need to be better and work harder than the entitled connected ones? What can I do to overcome it? Instead of blaming the circumstances you are not in control of, ensure that you maximize the ones you can control (such as passing tests with higher scores than others) and creating new ways of getting ahead. And if afterall you fail anyway, you know you gave it your all and move on to bigger and better things. I don't mean to be harsh but that's just how I see it.

This is not intended as an answer to Mack_Pimp, but more as my $0.02 to others in the process.
                        Last edited by rollaspeed1; 08-15-2014, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• I had a connection. So basically if you have low level connections you need good credentials, degrees, similar experience, etc. If you high high level connections, you can be 21 w/ a HS diploma. I had low level connections but high credentials. However, regardless of connections, if you have a red flag in your record you wont make it in; IE felonies, drugs, etc.

For rollaspeed: take what I said with a grain of salt; its obvious I'm bitter. But, based off my experience, if you know no one, your kinda of fu*cked. Sorry to tell you that. Dont take my word for it, find out for your own edification. I just want to warn people not to get their hopes up; if you get in without knowing any one, great..... but dont expect to.

Frankly, this whole connection thing is basically first world corruption

Comment

• Best of luck!
                            Last edited by jw1984; 12-15-2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Sorry buddy that it didin't go well for you. I thought SFPD provides uniforms and equipment? So you have to purchase your own? As far as tests my previous dept. had the same rules. You fail a test, you get a chance to retake it and if you fail again its a wrap. I feel like that is pretty fair due to the fact that anyone signing up knew they would have to devote themselves to the academy for some time. A refferal is great and I agree it can assist many people, but I would not say that people with no refferal have a really low chance of getting in. I feel like if you present a good character to the department you will have a chance. I know no one at SFPD and I am moving at a steady pace. I knew no one in my last department and I got in. & yes there were plenty of individuals in my class and whom I worked with that had refferals. I agree that a refferal helps but I believe there is a chance of getting in without knowing anyone. I hope everything works out great for you and sorry you had such a bad experience.

Comment

• Mr. Pimp wrote about his experience in trying to become a police officer in SF but he was inaccurate about many things so I'm going to set the record straight here.
                                First, the SFPD is one of the biggest mass hiring agencies in the country and your chances of getting hired here without having any friends or relatives in the Department are extremely good as long as you meet the requirements. You absolutely do NOT need to "know someone or have family" in order to get in---despite what Mr. Pimp alleges.

Out of town applicants are consistently hired and retained by the SFPD.

Mr. Pimp made a valid point about the PT test, the PT/DT portion of the Academy, and looking professional when going in for the interview.

The assertion that the process will end for those of you "without connections" once you get to the BG interview is totally false. In fact, 80% of applicants that are hired and retained by the SFPD do not have any type of connection within the Department.

SFPD is one of the best paid police departments in the nation. If Mr. Pimp made more money at his previous career, and money was an issue with him, perhaps he should have stayed with that other job. Recruits must pay for their academy uniform (about $400) but once you become a cop, the Department picks up the cost of the uniform-plus you are provided with a uniform salary each year.
                                During the academy training, you donate to the class fund-a minimal amount--and this fund goes towards the academy's graduation party.
                                You are not charged to attend volunteer events.

Mr. Pimp says he was dismissed because he failed a test. If a recruit fails a test at the academy, they are remediated and then they are given the opportunity to retake that same test. 99.9% of all recruits pass the test the second time around.

It is true that not everyone makes it through the Academy, but it costs the City money to fund these classes and the last thing we want to see is someone flunk out. Every effort is made to keep the recruits that are selected for training and when someone gets "the boot" its not because the staff doesn't like that person or is out to get them--there's always more to it--we just didn't get the rest of the story from Mack Pimp. So, I would take Mr. Pimp's post with a grain of salt-he couldn't cut the muster and he blew his opportunity. I guess it just wasn't in the cards for someone who calls himself Mack Pimp to become one of SFPD's finest...

Originally posted by Mack_Pimp View Post
                                So for those in the hiring process with SFPD or those thinking about SFPD I thought I would share my experiences with them. I was recently given the boot from the academy for failing a test. As getting fired from a job that took me over a year to get takes a lot of steam out of a man, I've decided to hang up this law enforcement thing, which is why I will now share my experiences. Normally I refrain from posting this type of stuff on the inter webs, but I dont really care that much any more.

I hope all of those trying to get in make it in somewhere, just know what your getting into with SFPD. I devoted two years of my life trying getting into law enforcement... law enforcement won in my case, best of luck to the rest of you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7184 users online. 371 members and 6813 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X