300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cosmo Cola View Post
    Follow up Q: I'm currently doing the process for experience. I'm not fit, but am doing the PAT to see what it's like and what I need to work on for when I seriously want to apply. Does this mean that they won't keep our written exam score and we have to take it again? Also, how often do they open apps?
    My understanding is that once you fail the PAT or any subsequent part of the screening process, you're off the list and have to start all over again with the PELLET-B. However, you should still be able to use your PELLET-B score to apply with another agency.

There's no telling when they'll be accepting applications again. Lately it's apparently been about once a year or so (most recently in 11/12), but there are a LOT of candidates on the currently active lists, so who knows?

Comment

• Originally posted by JoMi View Post
      Don't be surprised if you get a call this week to set up your 1 on 1. I got the call right before the Feb. academy was getting started.
      we will see...not going to give my hopes up on this DEPT though

Comment

• I will be taking the PAT soon. From anybody who took it already I had a few questions:

1. For the 140 pound dummy drag what size wheelbarrow should I bring which would be best?

2. What kind of gun should I bring for the trigger pull?

3. For the part of the test where I have to perform sit-ups continuously for a minute, what are we talking about here? Five really slow sit-ups? Six?

Lost here. Really need advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Civilian View Post
          I will be taking the PAT soon. From anybody who took it already I had a few questions:

1. For the 140 pound dummy drag what size wheelbarrow should I bring which would be best?

2. What kind of gun should I bring for the trigger pull?

3. For the part of the test where I have to perform sit-ups continuously for a minute, what are we talking about here? Five really slow sit-ups? Six?

Lost here. Really need advice.

I know it can be frustrating walking into the pat blind, so I'll hook you up with some info.

1. I wouldn't bother with a wheelbarrow, I would recommend bringing a couple of buddies and have them drag the dummy for you.

2. Bring the biggest gun you can hold with two hands, preferably a WWII era machine gun. If you can't score one, just bring your mom's blowdryer.

3. You'll do your situps in the Safeway parking lot and you will wear a Zorro mask while you doing them.

How many?
          That's up to you, but you can always request a "sit-up waiver"

Good luck...

Comment

• ^Joe should just get in the wheelbarrow and refuse to get out until he receives a passing score.

Comment

• Originally posted by pch1013 View Post
              However, you should still be able to use your PELLET-B score to apply with another agency.

There's no telling when they'll be accepting applications again. Lately it's apparently been about once a year or so (most recently in 11/12), but there are a LOT of candidates on the currently active lists, so who knows?
              Other agencies do accept your PELLETB typically up to one year from the time you take it. Agencies however also have a minimum T-Score and require you to have a certificate of your score for verification purposes. For example, San Jose PD is taking applications and accepts other agencies PELLETB under these conditions with a minimum T-Score of 50 and higher.

SFPD currently has a long list of candidates still but that will change with the Background Investigation. Atm, they are only taking online interest cards and typically open up applications in November.

Comment

• I am on list E129-01. Does anyone know if this list has been updated yet to show the additional vet points? A few months ago I heard that they were planning on hiring 150 off that list. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Comment

• So E128-04 is a done deal? If we did not get the phone call for this May academy, our list will be expired? Well it was an interesting ride. Thanks.

Comment

• E129-01 back ground unit Sgt said the department will hire 300

Comment

• Hey guys I have a question about the background packet and the PHQ. Like most of you I have done stupid things when I was in high school. I egged a house. Stole food by covering it with other food. I hit a parked car but just caused damage to my car and then left the scene. And signed my parents name to things but with their permission. I answered yes to all these things on the PHQ. Did I take it too literally? Did I honestly need to put I engaged in forgery when I signed for something with my parents signature with their permission? I just wanted to be honest rather than them find out I am lying later on. Did anyone else do this? Also anyone else who has been selected for hire, did you say you vandalized as a teenager and still got hired? Or committed any other petty crime and still got hired? Just worried this might disqualify me when it happened when I was younger. I was told to be honest even if it is something that you did when you were younger. If you guys could help me clear this up and maybe help me feel more relieved I would appreciate it. Thank you. And best of luck to everyone.
                      Last edited by nhproud17; 05-28-2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Hey nhproud. I think you'll be fine. First of all it's probably not criminal forgery if you had your parent's permission. The rest of it sounds pretty minor and probably wouldn't be a huge deal if this was all in your past. If you go online and search for SFPD backgrounds there is even an article about how hard it is for them to find applicants who don't have a substantial drug history/don't lie about it. You're probably overthinking it and getting yourself worried. They say their main concern is about honesty, and I would believe them. As an aside, I have friends who are cops (not with SFPD) and one of them said he was surprised at the number of people in his academy who had a criminal record. Another one put down on his background packet for a small town PD that he got black out drunk a high number of times in the previous year and also had stolen candy regularly from a concession stand while working as a security guard. And they still hired him. As for me, I've had a few similar minor transgressions I'm putting down (I've illegally fished before and carried a concealed gun without a permit once, fwiw). The last thing you want to do is be sweating about something when you sit down for a Poly.

Comment

• Thanks joe! I appreciate it. I think I was over thinking everything. And I already submitted the PHQ so ill just explain the forgery in the background packet. I guess I just needed someone else to help me realize that it wasn't a big deal because I was freaking out. Never had a criminal history just stupid things when I was in high school. And ya a lot of small departments near me have hired people with criminal records. But because the applicant pool for SFPD was so big I was worried because they have more to choose from. But honesty for minor things is better than them finding out later on. Everyone has some sort of minor illegal past. I guess I just wanted some reassurance lol I appreciate your help!

Comment

• Hey guys, this is probably a dumb question, but I'm confused as to what to include in the background packet. There's three lists that say three different things are required. I'm pretty sure they said to only include copies of everything in the packet and then to bring originals with you when you meet with your BI, but I wanted to confirm with somebody on here. My main concern is what to do with the hs/college transcripts. One list says to include them in their sealed envelopes and one says to bring them with you for the background interview. Can anyone clarify? I don't want to include them and end up having my packet thrown out because they weren't supposed to be there.

Comment

• I just mailed mine out. The rule of thumb I would use if that if one list says to include something and the other doesn't, then you include it. As for transcripts/diplomas I recall the bi at the orientation after the PAT saying you may not be able to get transcripts by the deadline to mail it out, and that you should hang onto them until your BI contacts you. I do recall him saying to put a statement in your packet or a receipt that you ordered a document if you weren't able to include something. I don't really expect that they will toss your entire background packet and DQ you for including something minor that wasn't strictly necessary. With mine I sent: DL copy, birth certificate copy, copy of passport, copy of social s. card, 2x2 pic with my name/list number on the back, copy of marriage license, copy of selective service from website, copy of marriage certificate, copy of vehicle reg and long-form insurance copy, sealed transcripts and copy of college diploma. I couldn't find my hs diploma and contacted the background unit and they said I was good as long as my HS transcript had a graduation date on it.
                              Last edited by Joe Civilian; 05-31-2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the info Joe! This was the first time I've ever done a background info packet and I just didn't want to mess anything up. I'll have to remember that rule of thumb for the future.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7517 users online. 402 members and 7115 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X