Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it scheduled for May 13th?

Comment

• I think the SFPD academy is scheduled for then. But anyways, any one whose take the SFPD PAT how was it and what does it include? I know it's at leaset includes the 99 yard obstacle course and the trigger pull, but if there anything else all of us newbies should know about the PAT?

Comment

• Originally posted by G1nmast3r View Post
        I think the SFPD academy is scheduled for then. But anyways, any one whose take the SFPD PAT how was it and what does it include? I know it's at leaset includes the 99 yard obstacle course and the trigger pull, but if there anything else all of us newbies should know about the PAT?
        Obstacle course and the trigger pull with each hand.

Tips:
        Obstacle course is pretty simple.
        Only tricky part is the dummy pull. Just make sure you follow the instructions. Most people that failed the course that should have easily passed, didn't follow the instructions to clear the dummy past the finish line.

I'm not the biggest guy, so I had to use leverage to make sure I completed this portion of the course. I grabbed the dummy from behind and wrapped my arms under its arm pits and crossed my arms across its chest and dragged it backwards to complete. Be sure to fully cross the finish line.

Trigger pull: Take your time on the pulls. I accidentally missed pulled on my strong hand because I went to fast. Be sure to fully pull the trigger back and wait till the trigger returns before your next pull.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoMi View Post
          Obstacle course and the trigger pull with each hand.

Tips:
          Obstacle course is pretty simple.
          Only tricky part is the dummy pull. Just make sure you follow the instructions. Most people that failed the course that should have easily passed, didn't follow the instructions to clear the dummy past the finish line.

I'm not the biggest guy, so I had to use leverage to make sure I completed this portion of the course. I grabbed the dummy from behind and wrapped my arms under its arm pits and crossed my arms across its chest and dragged it backwards to complete. Be sure to fully cross the finish line.

Trigger pull: Take your time on the pulls. I accidentally missed pulled on my strong hand because I went to fast. Be sure to fully pull the trigger back and wait till the trigger returns before your next pull.
          Thanks for the advice. So basically people misunderstood or did not follow the instructions properly and failed the course by not crossing the line fully with the dummy?

I would think they would just get deducted points but you said they can fail just because of that?

Also, just a quick question on the sit ups. Are they part of the course or does one only need to do them if they failed in one of the parts through the beginning steps of the course.

Comment

• I'm assuming most of the applicants from this forum are in good physical shape. With that being said, I'm just warning you to pay attention to all the instructions given out. You get two attempts, and its a pass or fail. If you fail, then you have to do the other test, which includes the sit ups.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoMi View Post
              I'm assuming most of the applicants from this forum are in good physical shape. With that being said, I'm just warning you to pay attention to all the instructions given out. You get two attempts, and its a pass or fail. If you fail, then you have to do the other test, which includes the sit ups.
              exactly the type of answer I was looking for. thanks for your help.

Comment

• Hey guys. I've read every single one of these posts from start to finish and some of the information is sporadic. But I took the written exam back in March and didn't do that well. I passed but barely. I hate standardized test, didn't do well on them in high school or now. I can't do well on something I can't study for. But I am in college and I am well above a 3.5 so my score doesn't do me justice. I am wayyy down the list but I am still going to take the physical in May. I got a couple questions, I know we had to register ourselves for the physical and the time slots would go away once we picked our time, meaning first come first serve. So does this mean they did not open enough slots for everyone that passed the written exam? Also how strict are they about this height to weight requirement. I am 173-178 depending on the time of day and I am 5'8 but I am in better shape than most people skinnier than I am. I lift and run 5 days a week. I am just maintaining not trying to lose any weight. I might though just in case they are strict. I might try to get down to 170-172 so I have some buffer room. Hope you guys can help. I look forward to moving a long in this process with you guys. Oh ya and I'm from the east coast so I'm hoping I don't have to go back and forth too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by nhproud17 View Post
                  Hey guys. I've read every single one of these posts from start to finish and some of the information is sporadic. But I took the written exam back in March and didn't do that well. I passed but barely. I hate standardized test, didn't do well on them in high school or now. I can't do well on something I can't study for. But I am in college and I am well above a 3.5 so my score doesn't do me justice. I am wayyy down the list but I am still going to take the physical in May. I got a couple questions, I know we had to register ourselves for the physical and the time slots would go away once we picked our time, meaning first come first serve. So does this mean they did not open enough slots for everyone that passed the written exam? Also how strict are they about this height to weight requirement. I am 173-178 depending on the time of day and I am 5'8 but I am in better shape than most people skinnier than I am. I lift and run 5 days a week. I am just maintaining not trying to lose any weight. I might though just in case they are strict. I might try to get down to 170-172 so I have some buffer room. Hope you guys can help. I look forward to moving a long in this process with you guys. Oh ya and I'm from the east coast so I'm hoping I don't have to go back and forth too much.
                  Hi there, I've been following this thread for awhile now and thought I could help you out...at least from what I've gone through with the testing. I'm currently on both lists 128-04 and 129-01. On the first list I have completed everything and am just waiting for "the call"; second list I'm scheduled for the PAT. As far as your T-score, my score wasn't all that amazing and I used the same score for the second list...I'm currently ranked 134 on the 129-01 list. I made it through backgrounds and everything with that score for the first list, I believe that with a higher score you just get prioritized so no need to feel out of it if you scored low compared to others. For the height/weight requirement, they do look at the numbers but this doesn't happen till you go for a physical so you have plenty of time. My friend's brother completed everything but wasn't able to go to academy due to his weight. They told him to lose the weight and he could go in the next academy, he got his weight down and started in the Feb academy. Hope this helps you out.

Comment

• @joef415 I really appreciate the help. I am trying to slowly lose like 5 pounds now but good to know I have a while until I need to actually go for the medical portion. Glad to hear that you are waiting and hopefully will get the call with a low T-score, it makes me feel a lot better. Just hoping I do not need to travel back and forth too much because of the $300+ flights. How many times did you go into the SFPD for written, physical, oral board, triage, polygraph, etc.? Just trying to get a feel for how many times I have to go back and forth. Anyone an out-of-stater that they accommodated for certain parts of the process? Thanks for the help!

Comment

• @joef415. I'm on the 128-04 list as well. Anyway to know how many people are left on that list to see what our chances are? Either way hopefully we get the "call" soon!

Comment

• @nhproud17 I only went thru each stage once for the first list. I had the written waived then I had to take an integrity written test (mostly common sense moral questions). After that was the physical and oral interview, they were scheduled relatively quick after completing the written tests. I think this new list will take a bit longer because there were far more applicants this time around. After completing these I probably waited about 4 to 5 months before getting called to the triage. (This is probably where your t-score might factor in, getting contacted sooner) At the triage they informed us that there was a group ahead of us that were already getting their backgrounds done, I think it was about 100 people or something like that. I waited probably about a month and half and then my background investigator contacted me to have the initial interview. After that interview everything went quick, poly and medical were scheduled during that interview. You were able to pick out a day and time, most were within that same week and the following. Upon successfully completing these, my BI said I passed everything and scheduled me for the psych. Psych was one day and then you pick out another day and time to meet with the psych doctor. And that's pretty much it, so you can expect the initial stages of the hiring quick and then a long wait period followed by several things coming at you at once.

@Pikzin415 I don't think there is a way of knowing how many people are still left on that list, at least I don't know of a way. But the last time I talked to my BI (after the hiring board back in Feb), I recall him mentioning something about 150 people and that about half didn't make it after the hiring board for one reason or another. But yeah, hopefully we hear something soon...this wait is killing me hah

Comment

• Haha me too!! Hopefully ill see you in class !

Comment

• Anyone get "the call" yet?!?!

Comment

• Nothing yet...

Comment

• Wow really? Its exactly two weeks before academy and already 2:30PM and still no one got a call? This is crazy!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8175 users online. 450 members and 7725 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X