Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigh, time needs to hurry up so I can do my medical and be done with all of the testing! Lol. The wait for the final decision is killing me

Comment

• Have you guys done ride along for sf yet?

Comment

• SFPD does not offer ride alongs to applicants.

Comment

• Is anyone else here waiting for oral board results?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauntless45 View Post
            SFPD does not offer ride alongs to applicants.
            Thought everyone knew that ha

Comment

Is anyone else here waiting for oral board results?
              K-9 unit, calcava and I are waiting for the hiring board to pick us in the January academy haha

Comment

• Originally posted by calcava mp View Post
                Thought everyone knew that ha
                I didn't =( lol. What's the reason behind it?

Comment

• SFPD has too many applicants to accommodate a ride along for each. They also roll in pairs for the most part so there isn't room in the car for those on the upside of the law.
                  I am very fortunate to have a friend in a jurisdiction which overlaps SFPD's. He also has an awesome sergeant who gave me an open ticket to ride any time.
                  It's not exactly the same as rolling with SFPD, but I have gotten a great view of what SFPD's workload looks like.
                  I have ridden several times with 4 other departments and have never experienced anything like what I see in SF.
                  It is an incredibly exciting environment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legion90 View Post
                    K-9 unit, calcava and I are waiting for the hiring board to pick us in the January academy haha
                    How long did you wait for oral board results?

Comment

How long did you wait for oral board results?
                      I waited for about a week and a half before I got my oral board results

Comment

SFPD has too many applicants to accommodate a ride along for each. They also roll in pairs for the most part so there isn't room in the car for those on the upside of the law.
                        I am very fortunate to have a friend in a jurisdiction which overlaps SFPD's. He also has an awesome sergeant who gave me an open ticket to ride any time.
                        It's not exactly the same as rolling with SFPD, but I have gotten a great view of what SFPD's workload looks like.
                        I have ridden several times with 4 other departments and have never experienced anything like what I see in SF.
                        It is an incredibly exciting environment.
                        How does sfpd workload looks like?

Comment

• This is all subjective, as I can only comment on what I have observed from an outside agency, but they are very busy with traffic stops, a lot of robbery, a handful of stabbings and frequent shootings.
                          There is a huge transient population which the city government is extremely tolerant of, but that does create a bit of a problem when it comes to enforcing laws when dealing with them because you have to be extra careful not to infringe the rights the city grants them.
                          If you arrest a transient, you must also inventory all of their belongings, so if they have a train of 10 shopping carts, you get to dig through them all, inventory the entirety and call a tow truck to secure heir property.)
                          There is a bit of public dissension. Nearly every stop I have been on, there is someone yelling at or admonishing the officers, especially when dealing with transients. The public thinks the PD is being mean to the homeless, but they fail to acknowledge the camps of stolen bike parts and broken glass all over from the homeless burglarizing the city's patrons.
                          There were 2 OIS's, 1 each week, for the 2 weeks before my last ride along and a shooting (presumably gang related) in the double rock projects near Candlestick on the night of my last ride.
                          There are a lot of cell phone and purse snatches too.
                          Never a dull moment.
                          The city is also heavily saturated with law enforcement agencies so being alone and without cover doesn't seem to be much of an issue.
                          We had another agency or officers from our agency roll by or attach to about 80% of our stops.
                          It seems to be a very rewarding atmosphere if you like staying busy.

Comment

• That sounds amazing! I'm so ready for this challenge! I want to work for an agency and that city that are always busy and alive haha. I don't want to just sit on my butt all day and do nothing. It will be a good learning experience

Comment

• Most of my LEO friends think SF is a great department. It is an east coast style department on the west coast, very similar to NY and Baltimore.
                              SF gets a lot of training that other bay departments don't as well. There are a more divisions to work special assignments than most too.
                              The more I learn about the SFPD, the more I see a life long career there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauntless45
                                Is anyone else here waiting for oral board results?
                                Glad you asked. Yah, me. Did you do your oral board last Sat? I did the 15th, wondering if you were same, cause I've been worried a couple days now.

Originally posted by Legion90 View Post
                                I waited for about a week and a half before I got my oral board results
                                No lie? If so, glad to hear it. Reason I ask is cause I got my PAT results pretty fast and basically knew I was good that day anyways (except trigger pulls). However I don't think I did so well on the oral board. The officers and I did not "jive" and wondered if that could be used against me, cause they were both quite senior and all serious like. Did a couple questions well (at least I thought), totally blew a couple questions (literally said, "sheesh, I don't know..." and rambled). I hadn't even shaved my face in preparation either, don't know if that counts..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12080 users online. 418 members and 11662 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X