Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L.A.S.D DST Status

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • .....................
    Last edited by Recruit42; 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by thesocalkid View Post
      Hey guys, I have my background packet turn in date coming up pretty quick and I was wondering if anyone knows what I should expect in this part of the process? And also, do I have to wait for my date or am I able to turn it in early?
      Read this entire thread from start to finish. I'm sure that all of your questions will be answered. Grab some popcorn.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ajrivera1986 View Post
        Hey guys.

        I have my VPAT tomorrow morning at 10AM. What do I take with me and where does everyone meet up at? Anyone else going to be there tomorrow?

        Thanks for any info!
        come in workout clothes, water bottle, and your driver's license. They'll hold on to your keys, wallet, jacket while you're out doing the VPAT.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Recruit42 View Post
          I can't personally see that happening.. how would it make sense... the recruit would have to buy all the equipment, fill out all the forms for employment, start benefits, join unions, leave old job, all without having completed the entire process... and a lot of people don't get past the psych eval... seems a little risky for the dept... it only takes a week to complete med/psych, they could just rush it before the start... not do it during already busy/stressful academy..
          I guarantee you 100% that it does happen. I know former D/I's and Sergeants on the department who have confirmed it; my B/I even mentioned this to me back in Dec/Jan. I'm sure it's not the preferred method, but it happens.

          In addition, an applicant takes a risk regardless of the successful completion of the hiring process. What I mean by that is the academy itself is somewhat of a gamble. We leave our jobs, sign paperwork, spend $1000 on gear (which isn't refundable), etc., with the hope that our desire and determination will help us see it through. As we all know, successful completion isn't always the outcome. The 20-30% attrition rate is proof of that.
          Last edited by Martial_Law; 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by lakeshow View Post
            come in workout clothes, water bottle, and your driver's license. They'll hold on to your keys, wallet, jacket while you're out doing the VPAT.
            Better yet, leave everything in your car except your ID, water bottle and your car key(s). I've heard that they've even asked applicants at the VPAT to remove their watches or take them back to the car; they didn't make my group do this however.

            Comment


            • Been reading post with all you for sometime now, I finally got the ability to post. So here it goes, just wanted to say hi and good luck to everyone. Also, I turned in my packet 3/5 and been crossing the days off my calendar since, yup going on 15 days now....haha.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Martial_Law View Post
                I guarantee you 100% that it does happen. I know former D/I's and Sergeants on the department who have confirmed it; my B/I even mentioned this to me back in Dec/Jan. I'm sure it's not the preferred method, but it happens.
                I also wanted to second that my BI also told me that it does happen and that it would not be surprising...... I guess like anything only time will tell.....

                Comment


                • Martial do you have a list of stuff we need before starting the Academy? I know they will tell us at orientation but that only gives us a couple of days to get everything.

                  Comment


                  • Many things you will not be able to get until you get the form from the training staff, like Class B uniforms and such. Otherwise, go to the LASD Emporium there at the STARS Center and check with them...they carry a lot of stuff that you will need right there in their store (PT gear, etc).
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by Smurfette
                    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                    Originally posted by DAL
                    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by FJDave View Post
                      Many things you will not be able to get until you get the form from the training staff, like Class B uniforms and such. Otherwise, go to the LASD Emporium there at the STARS Center and check with them...they carry a lot of stuff that you will need right there in their store (PT gear, etc).
                      Thank you Sir.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by sosa1185 View Post
                        Been reading post with all you for sometime now, I finally got the ability to post. So here it goes, just wanted to say hi and good luck to everyone. Also, I turned in my packet 3/5 and been crossing the days off my calendar since, yup going on 15 days now....haha.
                        Get comfortable, you have a long ways to go :P. When was your poly scheduled for?

                        Originally posted by thesocalkid View Post
                        Hey guys, I have my background packet turn in date coming up pretty quick and I was wondering if anyone knows what I should expect in this part of the process? And also, do I have to wait for my date or am I able to turn it in early?
                        Can't go earlier and it's very straightforward when meeting your BI. Dress business professional and make sure you bring everything required, then he'll just sit and go over your background with you questions by question and then schedule you for your poly.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Delay44 View Post
                          Get comfortable, you have a long ways to go :P. When was your poly scheduled for?



                          Can't go earlier and it's very straightforward when meeting your BI. Dress business professional and make sure you bring everything required, then he'll just sit and go over your background with you questions by question and then schedule you for your poly.

                          He has to get through the Pre-Investigative portion before he is scheduled to meet his/her assigned B/I. You added components that he will not yet experience.

                          Comment


                          • I have yet to be contacted since I turned in my packet

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by sosa1185 View Post
                              I have yet to be contacted since I turned in my packet
                              Sorry to break it to you but you are toward the end of the push. Most of us have been in this process since July and turned our packets in well before the beginning of the new year. Just sit back, look through the 100's of pages that are available to you of information and go from there.

                              Good luck sosa.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ajrivera1986 View Post
                                Sorry to break it to you but you are toward the end of the push. Most of us have been in this process since July and turned our packets in well before the beginning of the new year. Just sit back, look through the 100's of pages that are available to you of information and go from there.

                                Good luck sosa.

                                Really? I turn in my packet in a few weeks and after talking to a few people in the department they said as long as you get the process started before June you should have a solid shot... They said that initially they were worried that I started too late (applied late Jan), but that as things move on they think I fell in at a good time. Some people I talked to even said that they heard the big bulk of the academies were set to start sooner, but they still cant find enough suitable bodies to fill out the classes.This is all rumor of course, but I'm hoping its true, because I've talked to a few friends in the department and they've all given me pretty similar info.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5099 users online. 265 members and 4834 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X