Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job opportunities on the west coast...?

I'm hoping to hear that California has a better job situation than Florida does... could someone shed some light? 22 y/o college grad with high GPA and former football player here trying to start a LE career and am having no luck at all.

NorCal agencies are laying off more than hiring, SoCal agencies will be in the same boat in the not-so-distant future, unless there is a major turnaround. There are hundreds, if not thousands of laid off officers looking for work.

You could give it a shot, but you're gonna be hard-pressed pretty much no matter where you go.
    Sierra259
    Forum Member
    Last edited by Sierra259; 07-16-2011, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Nope, California is definitely not the place to look for law enforcement jobs. Try Missouri - my buddy just got hired there no problem.
      CHICKS DIG IT!!!

Comment

Damnit... I'm about to say screw it and just go to Law School... this job hunt hasn't produced anything but waiting and some more waiting anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SMS88 View Post
          Damnit... I'm about to say screw it and just go to Law School...
          Yep, good idea.
          Ignore List----DAL

"but I warranty you that I’ll be a better candidate than a kid that just got out of high school and self-sponsor himself."...Just another brain surgeon who's looking for a cop job on Officer.com.

Comment

Not a good Idea to come out west.
            Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Did you happen to look into this thread?

LE Job Opportunities - L.A. County
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I was told that Portland, OR is looking for officers.. they accept CA POST certs. Other than that.. it's highly competitive out here in CA.. even for reserve volunteer gigs.

You'll see an ad for a position put out by an agency and get 300-400 people applying to it. It's especially tough for someone who is new to the field. You'd have to know someone to get in.

Tough road.. I'm suprised at how so many here have stuck with it. The only way it's gonna turn around is if the economy turns around. I've seen people who normally wouldn't do LE sign up for academies because they think they will get an automatic leg up in getting a stable job. Many graduates still don't have LE jobs.

In an economic downturn.. the private sector is the first to fire and first to hire. Public sector is the last to fire and last to hire. I don't see any jobs returning soon. I just think that unfortunately China has taken many of the jobs from the U.S. these last few years and no politicians on both sides of the isle have done anything to stop it or bring them back. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by SMS88 View Post
                  Damnit... I'm about to say screw it and just go to Law School... this job hunt hasn't produced anything but waiting and some more waiting anywhere.
                  This wont score you any more luck than the law enforcement hunt. Job prospects for law school graduates are just as grim. Anyone who doesn't graduate from a t-14 school at or near the top of their class is going to end up with a huge pile of dept and no job. Even attorney jobs in public service (which pay less than entry level Police jobs) are virtually non-existent right now.
                  "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

^^^ this!!!!
                    Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Various probation departments are currently hiring, Riverside County being one. You can take that route and go to school while going through the process to become a police officer or sheriff since it will take you close to a year to get through the process.

Don't let naysayers keep you from progressing! People are getting hired all the time. If this is where you want to be make it happen.

Having a advanced degree will put you in a different pile of candidates when hiring picks up.

Comment

SF bay area is 100% correct. California is very competitive right now, i wouldn't discourage you from coming to our state. But the economic station is very grim here, you'll have to go ' agency shopping' meaning applying for many agencies at the same time. This will ensure some kind of progress in the hiring processes.

The other route is a Self Sponsored academy, that is a 50/50 coin toss. In the eyes of smaller agencies who can't afford to put their recruits through a Academy; this would be of a huge major benefit. Larger agencies may just see the application as another ' academy complete' and could decide to push you along the hiring process or just ignore you. Totally dependent on the B.I and hiring personnel, and your qualifications.

Some agencies will even send you back to their academy with a POST certificate. LAPD/LASD to name a few, at least when i spoke to a recruiter that's what i was told.

I know of a guy who went through a 1- year long extended Academy format. And he was never hired, i think something happend during a internship. That's another story. He owns his own security company now. So like i said it's really a coin toss..

My father is a Attorney, don't think that will be easy either. He does medical malpractice,personal injury. Sometimes he'll go through periods of not having alot of money, other times if he gets a good case; hes rolling in dough. He has to filter out alot of bs cases, ones he knows have no chance of a settlement.

Then he has to negotiate with insurance companies, yada..yada.. There's alot of bs involved with that too... Such as explaining to clients, and trying to keep them on board with the case. And sometimes they're almost never happy or satisfied.

The cool thing is you to get read Police reports, i.e auto accidents, etc.. Overall he seems happy and pleased with his career choice..

Just trying to give you a realistic approach to both career fields... Positive things can and will happen with persistence and dedication..
                        cactuscooler
                        Forum Member
                        Last edited by cactuscooler; 07-16-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
                          This wont score you any more luck than the law enforcement hunt. Job prospects for law school graduates are just as grim. Anyone who doesn't graduate from a t-14 school at or near the top of their class is going to end up with a huge pile of dept and no job. Even attorney jobs in public service (which pay less than entry level Police jobs) are virtually non-existent right now.

Sorry but that's just more propaganda from the T14's and US News and World Report. It's true that you won't have much of a chance at a big law job (aka: big firm) starting at 150k but you will likely find a decent job. OC DA's office was just hiring in the past few weeks so those jobs are still there if you look.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                            Sorry but that's just more propaganda from the T14's and US News and World Report. It's true that you won't have much of a chance at a big law job (aka: big firm) starting at 150k but you will likely find a decent job. OC DA's office was just hiring in the past few weeks so those jobs are still there if you look.
                            You could not be more wrong. Job prospects for new law school graduates are about as grim as it can get. TTT law school grads only have a chance if they have significant experience in the field they are choosing to go into. And even if they do get hired by a small firm in that field they are making pennies compared to the amount of debt accumulated in law school. HB, pointing out one job opening as you did is not a very good start in your argument that there are plenty of jobs for law school graduates. At least those who are looking for police jobs know that there are more than just 1 job openings out there.
                            "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                              I spent a greal deal researching while I was studying for the LSATS and it's honestly really bad. Yea you might have seen an OC DA's office hiring but you don't know how many people are applying or how many is that office hiring.

If you go read the law school forums, it's really bad. As IE Copper has explained, you really need to graduate from a top tier school or have some good connections to land a job. Or else you'll be off with a useless degree

I am so glad I did not go that route

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4635 users online. 307 members and 4328 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X