300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcal POST academy - Socal agencies

I feel I'm at a critical juncture in my law enforcement job search and would appreciate some advice. I recently attended the Santa Rosa Junior College Police Academy Orientation up in Sonoma County. I'm a former Sonoma resident and currently live in LA. I would love to be an officer back in the North Bay, but realistically may have to look in LA. My question is.. If I get my POST Level 1 certificate at SRJC's academy, but find I must look to the LA area for a police career, would it be viewed differently than if I got it from an academy in socal? Would Los Angeles area agencies be hesitant if I were to have a POST certificate from a norcal college?

Thank you!
    -David

POST training is POST training- doesn't really matter what part of the state you get it from. It will get your foot in the door over someone who doesn't have a POST academy certificate.

We had applicants and laterals from San Fransisco State Univ PD, all the way down from Brawley PD, and everywhere in between.

You may run into a background investigator who isn't familiar with a certain ''out of region'' academy program, but more often than not, that won't deter a hiring authority from hiring you.
    Last edited by DCH; 06-05-2011, 01:24 AM.
    Timelines:

CBPO
    App: 2/12/09
    Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
    Written: 2/20/09
    NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
    TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
    App: 5/5/09
    Geo: San Diego
    Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
    NOR: 7/20/09
    Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
    TO: 10/6/09
    Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
    Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
    Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
    App: 8/17/10
    Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
    TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

I went to the SRJC academy. MOST agencies will accept your POST certificate from that academy, but I ran into a couple that didn't. I applied to San Mateo and they told me that because my academy was only 788 hours of instruction, it didn't meet their requirements. Theirs was somewhere in the 800's.

The only other place I saw that might have an issue was LASD. On their website they list different recruitments for different levels of training. They say that POST academy is accepted, but mine wasn't. They told me I'd have to do the academy again. I didn't ask for clarification on why their website said POST trained was ok.

And of courses there are departments that won't accept any certificate, and make you go to their academy. San Francisco, Los Angeles(city), etc.
      Last edited by Kilo19; 06-05-2011, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DCH View Post
        POST training is POST training- doesn't really matter what part of the state you get it from. It will get your foot in the door over someone who doesn't have a POST academy certificate.
        This is why I think I'm gonna go with getting my POST certificate. I'm currently working in the television industry, and filming is way down, and law enforcement is my true passion. Sonoma County is where I want to live for the rest of my life, and I hope SRJC can open up opportunities in that region. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DanLP456 View Post
          This is why I think I'm gonna go with getting my POST certificate. I'm currently working in the television industry, and filming is way down, and law enforcement is my true passion. Sonoma County is where I want to live for the rest of my life, and I hope SRJC can open up opportunities in that region. Thanks!
          Good luck, I attended the SRJC academy. Just be aware that the hiring situation here in the North Bay is very bleak right now. With so many laterals out there looking for work, it is difficult to compete with them when you are just an academy graduate.

Comment

I might see you there man, I have a BS in Criminal Justice and have been trying to get on with a department for over 2 years, it's only getting worse out there. I've decided to attend the SRJC academy that starts in January. It's no way a guarantee but at least it's another advantage over the other people applying.

Comment

Originally posted by 23103(a) View Post
              Good luck, I attended the SRJC academy. Just be aware that the hiring situation here in the North Bay is very bleak right now. With so many laterals out there looking for work, it is difficult to compete with them when you are just an academy graduate.
              Just curious if you were able to get on with a department after graduating with your POST?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMerr View Post
                Just curious if you were able to get on with a department after graduating with your POST?
                As a Reserve, yes. I think around 5 of us out of 17 in my academy class have found law enforcement jobs since our graduation, with only 2 of us working locally and the rest in other parts of CA.

Comment

Originally posted by 23103(a) View Post
                  As a Reserve, yes. I think around 5 of us out of 17 in my academy class have found law enforcement jobs since our graduation, with only 2 of us working locally and the rest in other parts of CA.
                  Gah those numbers are so scary. I'm still heavily debating this. I've recently started applying for non-sworn jailer and parking enforcement positions too, just in case. I'm a former parking officer, and don't mind going into it again. I'm currently not working (well, no production companies are calling, no filming on the horizon), so gaining quick employment is a consideration too. I have a BA in criminal justice, so hopefully that can help in the competition for non-sworn jobs. It's bleak times for the public sector indeed
                  Last edited by DanLP456; 06-08-2011, 03:26 AM.

Comment

I currently work parking for the city of Santa Rosa. We are currently under furlough's and looking at city wide pay cuts come July, time's are tough for every department it seems.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5804 users online. 350 members and 5454 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X