Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Governor Brown Announces Restructuring of CDCR Headquarters (aka Lay Offs)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Governor Brown Announces Restructuring of CDCR Headquarters (aka Lay Offs)

Our wonderful Governor is eliminating 400 positions in the CDCR. None are from the prisons, but this just shows a sign of the times for the state budget. This is on top of the other 600+ cut from HQ in the last 18 months.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 (916) 445-4571
    Governor Brown Announces Restructuring of CDCR Headquarters

Eliminating 400 positions will save $30 million and bring workforce to 2005 levels

SACRAMENTO – Governor Edmund G. Brown, Jr. today announced “long overdue” personnel and program restructuring at the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation’s (CDCR) headquarters.

This significant change to CDCR will eliminate more than 400 headquarters' positions and save the state $30 million in General Fund dollars.

“This is a long overdue action to make CDCR more efficient while cutting costs,” said Governor Brown.

“The new executive structure is designed to create a leaner organization, clarify functions and responsibilities, delegate decision-making authority and eliminate duplicative functions,” said CDCR Secretary Matthew Cate.

Over the last 18 months, more than 1,000 headquarters' positions—approximately 25 percent—have been eliminated. These cuts have resulted in essentially the same staffing levels as in 2005, with headquarters' staff now accounting for less than five percent of CDCR’s total work force.

As part of this restructuring, 32 executive-level positions will be cut, including the chief of staff, deputy chief of staff and five chief deputy secretaries. More than 100 manager and supervisor positions will be eliminated, increasing responsibilities in many areas for those remaining. This round of cuts affects more than 90 personnel classifications.

I doubt the line staff working in the prisons minds that cuts are being made in the head shed.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Headquarters added 1000 positions in the last 5 years increasing up to 4000 positions held at headquarters.....thats the interesting part. I hate to see any layoffs, but I would much rather see the top being thinned out than the officers working the units trimmed down.

EDIT: and my department is at 1999 staffing levels even though weve added about 40000 people to our city. Sucks but times are tough all over
      Last edited by Fuzz; 06-01-2011, 12:15 AM.

Comment

We're going out on patrol with the same number of units as when I started in '88, but our population is up, along with gangs and the complexity of investigations expected from patrol officers.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
          I doubt the line staff working in the prisons minds that cuts are being made in the head shed.
          You are right. I don't mind at all. We are way too top heavy.

Comment

Line staff will mind it when some of those people have no where to go but down. That will start the bumping process all the way down until the cops with the lowest seniority are given a pink slip. Some of those people will start bumping and become regional admin, regional admin will become parole and prision admin, parole and prison admin will become captains and parole supervisors on down the line...parole agents will be bumped out of parole and return to he prisons but its a sign of the times. All you can do is roll with punches.

Comment

So I take it the CO's union wont be backing Brown for a 2nd term?

It suck all around but its funny how the line guys have to suffer to consequence's of upper management. All across the country when the economy was doing good local governments were spending like crazy instead of saving for that raining day and now who has to pay?
              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Jerry Brown will b in his 80s if he gets a second term!

Comment

Funny thing is that the union executive body agrees with everything Jerry is doing. Even if it means losing dues paying members.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5119 users online. 317 members and 4802 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X