300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Park Police is hiring

U.S. Park Police is hiring until July 1st! Most of us are stationed in DC, but we have a decent presence here in the Bay Area (Presidio and Marin Headlands mostly). It is possible to get stationed out here right out of the academy (happened to me). PM me if you want any insight on the job.

I worked with you guys in DC, real high speed group and you guys patrolled some bad area.

What is it like out west, is it full service like DC or a hybrid mission? What agencies do you work with in SF?

Does everyone get along? I know in DC we all helped each other out, MPDC/USSS/USCP/USPP/etc

Comment

What is a average day like? Can you leave Presidio and Marin and patrol other areas?

I applied and I'll be taking the PEB in august in the city.

Comment

UD: We are a full service law enforcement agency just like in D.C. We have K9, CIB, motors, HMP, and a Special Events and Tactics team that consists of Park Police and NPS rangers that does marijuana eradication throughout the Western United States. Unlike in DC, in the Golden Gate Recreational Area we work side by side with NPS LE Rangers. We get along well with everyone. We host a lot of training, CHP uses our gym on a regular basis, and I have backed up SF on several occasions and vice versa.

One of the major differences between here and DC is that the Presidio is more like a small town within San Francisco. We have several distinct neighborhoods, a school, bank, businesses etc etc. I will let a D.C. officer speak about the calls they get, since I barely worked there, but I would assume they wouldn't get called to a domestic dispute at someone's residence. I would compare the job out here to being an officer in a small town/city. Oh, and you might be surprised by this, but out here we have an all black uniform.

Nawkternal: We have an MOU with Marin County and San Francisco where we can write Marin and SF City cites. I have pulled people over in the city of San Francisco and written them citations on a regular basis. Also, we patrol Ocean Beach, Fort Mason, and Aquatic Park so we are all over San Francisco. In fact, SF invites us to their DUI checkpoints all the time. I will see you this August! Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions. I love to see more people from out here applying, it only helps our field office.
        Last edited by FriscoFed; 05-30-2011, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your fast response Friscofed! Your post makes this hopeful even more excited and determined to become part of the USPP, august can't come any sooner! I'll keep in touch.

Comment

Is background check from one Federal LEO agency reciprocal to U.S. Parks Police?
            GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Giostormusnret: Park Police does two background investigations. One is done by Park Police personnel and is an agency suitability investigation. The second one is done by OPM and is for a security clearance. Park Police will do one no matter what prior clearance you have. However, your OPM one should be pretty painless. Prior to getting on with Park I had a TS clearance with another agency. I met with the OPM investigator, and they basically just did an update as I was adjudicated within a month of meeting with them.

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoFed View Post
                Giostormusnret: Park Police does two background investigations. One is done by Park Police personnel and is an agency suitability investigation. The second one is done by OPM and is for a security clearance. Park Police will do one no matter what prior clearance you have. However, your OPM one should be pretty painless. Prior to getting on with Park I had a TS clearance with another agency. I met with the OPM investigator, and they basically just did an update as I was adjudicated within a month of meeting with them.
                I had the same with USVAPD an initial triple I then OPM for public trust. It would be better I stay with the agency I'm with and just wait and see if I can get back out to Cali that way.
                GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                  I had the same with USVAPD an initial triple I then OPM for public trust. It would be better I stay with the agency I'm with and just wait and see if I can get back out to Cali that way.
                  No harm in putting in for the announcement. You can always say no when they call. I don't know what your career aspirations are, but some of the good things about Park Police are 1) the pay versus a lot of other 0083 agencies 2) the 6c law enforcement retirement. That being said, you always got to do whats best for you. Good luck either way!

Comment

Applied a few weeks ago, I'm hoping I don't have to wait until the closing date (Jul 1st) before I hear something.

Comment

JeffMerr: I believe you should have received an e-mail confirmation after you submitted your application per the announcement. Have you scheduled your PEB yet? When I went through a lot of people just showed up without the confirmation because they didn't receive one and they were still allowed to process.

Comment

I no longer have the confirmation email, but I just scheduled my PEB test in SF for Aug 6th. Looks like I have quite a few documents to work on that I need to bring to the exam (ie 61 page PHS). Is there no written exam? only the PEB? Last question, does anyone know how aggressively they are hiring? thanks!
                        Last edited by JeffMerr; 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMerr View Post
                          I no longer have the confirmation email, but I just scheduled my PEB test in SF for Aug 6th. Looks like I have quite a few documents to work on that I need to bring to the exam (ie 61 page PHS). Is there no written exam? only the PEB? Last question, does anyone know how aggressively they are hiring? thanks!
                          There is a written exam after you pass the PEB. Most likely you will be given the date on the 6th. As for how aggressively we are hiring; we usually have two classes a year made up of between 15 to 24 recruits. My class had 24 in it, however, there have been classes with a lot less or a lot more. This announcement is going to be up for a while so maybe they are looking to hire a lot. We have a lot of retirements coming up and a lot of people leave the job and go elsewhere.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info. How is the written for USPP? Is it similar to the entry-level POST?

Comment

I've got this one saved in my USAJobs profile. Where is the PEB given? I'm currently in Colorado.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4701 users online. 225 members and 4476 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X