300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish & Game

I know there are a few F&G personnel around out there..... Hopefully they pipe up. I have applied for the Fish & Game Warden Cadet position and have just passed the voice stress test and am proceeding in the background process. I am currently employed as a Correctional Peace Officer at a Northern CA Sheriff's Office. My goal has always been to be on patrol, and I am using the jail as a stepping stone to get there. In order for me to be on patrol in my current organization, I have to go through a limited hiring process whenever we have the money to hire again. Who knows when that will be.....
    I have a few concerns about the F&G position and am hoping anyone can provide their opinion. My concerns are these....... If I do succeed in the hiring process for F&G, I will be taking a pay cut of roughly $10/hr to start. I'm sure over time, I will get back to my current pay grade... But it may take a while. Secondly, the background investigator emphasized over and over again the possibility of having to move anywhere in the state. I already knew this, but it really hit home when she emphasized it, and I really started to think about it. I don't want to get stationed in the middle of the desert somewhere for a minimum of 3 years. Leaving my friends and family behind would be extremely hard for me. Lastly, the budget scares me. My current department will be experiencing layoffs this year most likely. I have a decent amount of seniority, and am relatively safe. What scares me is the state budget. This state is not in the greatest of conditions economically, so who knows what could happen.
    I'm just looking for an opinion. I don't hate my current job, but it is not what I want to do for the rest of my career. It does however set me up for a good transition into a patrol position whenever they open again. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
    Last edited by njonl; 05-28-2011, 01:21 AM.

Cool man! It might just be me, but working for CA DFG seems more like a career than showing up to handle scumbags in the jail all day right? With DFG the outdoors is your office, opposed to behind bars. Take home cars and flexible hours are another plus. There's one DFG guy on here you might wanna holler at... i believe his username is 417Lt . Good luck

Comment

You're exactly right! Thanks for the response. I'll see if I can track down 417LT.

Comment

Anybody heard anything about how the new budget will affect state law enforcement? It appears that F&G is still hiring.... I'm still in background and haven't heard anything yet.

Comment

You have stated all of the concerns you have for changing jobs. I can almost guarantee that, if hired by DFG, you will be relocating. That is pretty much a given. If you are unable to afford the move, along with a pay cut, you should think long and hard about staying where you are. At least, when things do ease you will get the opportunity to hit the streets with your current agency. DFG is a great job, if you enjoy being alone and working in isolated areas; but, most start in a metro area close to commercial fishing ports and chasing licenses. You have seniority with your SO and should think strongly about your current position. The grass is not always greener! This economy is extremely unstable and no one can predict when funds will be flush.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Thanks for your input Sarge. It makes the most sense to stay where I am with a stable job and a decent salary. I'm getting impatient with the economy, and that seems to be what is driving my search for other employment. In the end, I need to consider my livelihood and how fortunate I am to have a job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4844 users online. 290 members and 4554 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X