300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of California PD

Seeing as how UCR and UCLA both opened hiring recently, I applied but have some questions.

If anyone is familiar with either campus or UC campus PDs in general, could you tell me how their benefits and retirement work? Are they on PERS or do they use a different retirement system? I imagine it's a different system, so how does it compare to say 3@50 PERS? Do you get tuition reimbursement if you decide to attend for a masters? How about for children when they are older?

Do you enjoy working for a UC? I'm 2 months shy from my own graduation with a bachelor's, so I will be younger than some of the students at any school I would work at. Will that be seen as a negative?

I would appreciate any other info you guys are willing to give and I thank you for your time.

I looked into the UC and Cal State PD's. From what I've seen they are all great. UC Riverside has a unit that works with Riverside PD as partners and they patrol the student housing and common areas. The retirement is Defined benefit plan based upon age at retirement, years of eligible service credit and highest average salary. Enrollment is automatic based on appointment; 5 year vesting requirement. Benefit can be taken as a monthly lifetime payment, or a one-time lump-sum cash-out equivalent. May include health benefits, if certain conditions are met. As far as the education its a 2/3 reduction for you I think it would be the same for the family.

Hope that helps
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions.

Comment

post deleted
      Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
        My question for whomever answers this thread: if you work at a campus PD for a UC, will the fee waiver/tuition discount apply to their law school? This is what I'm eyeballing as of late...
        That would be nice. You still need a mega GPA and LSAT to get in. As far as the GPA, they only count your BS. Testmasters seems to be the go to prep course.
        Last edited by hbliam; 05-21-2011, 03:43 AM.

Comment

I would imagine that all state employees (which includes UC and CSU) would have to be PERS. They may not be 3%@50.

You would be "younger than some of the students..." I am not sure I understand that statement. If you were hired by a city PD, you would be younger than most of the residents of that city...Generally speaking, the younger you are, the more immature you are. But, I know a few guys I went to school with that graduated and were hired at the University PD.

The UC system itself has many issues, their board of regents usually attract several hundred to several thousand student protestors at their meetings. So at least you will be busy at those.
          semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
            I would imagine that all state employees (which includes UC and CSU) would have to be PERS. They may not be 3%@50.
            Some agencies have their own retirement system, so I wasn't sure if UCs did. They hiring flyer did not explicitly state that the agency was on 3@50 PERS or whatever formula it may be.

You would be "younger than some of the students..." I am not sure I understand that statement. If you were hired by a city PD, you would be younger than most of the residents of that city...Generally speaking, the younger you are, the more immature you are. But, I know a few guys I went to school with that graduated and were hired at the University PD.
            Generally, college age students are less respectful to police and those who are younger than them (especially when HBD). I understand it from a city standpoint with most residents being older, but a college campus seems to have a different mindset, in my opinion.

Comment

I know ucla has their own retirement like LAPD they don't use calpers but its still 3@50

Comment

uneless it has changed it is pers 3@50

Comment

UCLA PD is still 3%@50 .....not a bad pay, and decent environment to work
                  "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

After doing a bit more searching I found out that all of the UC's offer the same deal as far bennies because its the same department for the most part. It seems that they act independently like a station set for each campus . Not a bad gig at all.The one difference is the pay between the schools. below is the agreement of the UC PD's
                    http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/employ...poa/index.htmlas
                    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions.

Comment

Thanks for the link moparfan. I will take a look through the site

Comment

The UC system has their own retirement. Similar to CalPERS but separate so you can double dip for now.

http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/employ...ings/ucrp.html
                        If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7519 users online. 421 members and 7098 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X