Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i bother taking the SDPD test?

Hello,

I was contemplating taking the SDPD test and going through the hiring process. However, i'm somewhat discouraged due to my background. Looks like i'm going to have to explain it again, so here we go:

2008 i was arrested for a misdemeanor arrest for domestic violence. Essentially what occurred was that me and my girlfriend got into a verbal argument,as it escalated i said some spiteful remarks towards her and i was assaulted on first. I then had to 'push past' her to exit the room and called for 9-11 ,as law enforcement arrived on scene they said " They didn't believe my story" and i was arrested for this incident. All charges were dropped and the DA didn't file the case. I'm still able to own firearms without issue. And my girlfriend is willing to write a letter to attest to my character if need be.

I took the Sheriff's test with SDSD, and the recruiter told me it shouldn't be an issue as long as no conviction resulted. Which there wasn't. So i took the written and passed. The next phase was orientation and they gave me the Pre Background Investigative Questionare which DQ'd me from the process before backgrounds. So with all the things going on with SDPD in the media, do you think the same thing will happen to me? That i would be DQ'd before backgrounds?

The SDPD recruiter told me, it "shouldn't DQ me but you'd have to go through the hiring process to find out". I just don't want to waste my time and theirs, if other people don't have the same issue.

I know i will have a hard time getting into LE with my issuse, but i'm highly motivated and determined to make it a career. I work out everyday, i just ran 4.7 miles so i know i am in shape. I might just have to put myself through the academy and look for agencies in Imperial Valley, who will let me explain myself.
    Last edited by cactuscooler; 05-18-2011, 03:59 PM.

i dont know about whether you should test or not, but i would think twice before spending the time and money to put yourself through the academy. if you cant get through the process now, going through the academy will not change anything. just my .02
    If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I know it wont change what they see on my record. But i've read a post where somebody had a DUI and he still got picked up and hired, so i think there is still hope somewhere out there for me. And wouldn't that show that i have determination, that could possibly be overlooked? I also have a letter of recommendation from a former assistant Sheriff who knows my situation.

Comment

post deleted
        Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Are you saying Imperial Valley has lower hiring standards? I'm going to have to agree with Duramax...unless you have nothing going on with your life, and have plenty of money to support yourself without additional income for six months, you probably shouldn't put yourself through the academy. Right now it is extremely hard to get picked up, unless your a brass baby, know some people from the higher ups, have spent many years as an explorer or cadet for the agency, or have a spotless record with a college education or military experience...it's going to be tuff. You're competing against all these people for only a handfull of spots (if that); and on top of that, there are officers who are applying as a lateral, which usually has preference for many agencies.

I'm not saying you shouldn't apply, but if you get DQ'd now, you will have to list all the agencies you've applied with, and which ones you have been DQ'd from. It's all about timing and who you know. The individual who was hired with a convicted DUI charge, that is pretty suprising in this market, but not too suprising (dependng on the agency) a few years ago when the market was hot.
          "Think about the consequences before you mess with a Deputy Sheriff."

Comment

I have over 3 years experience in Armed Security, from DoD work, to patrol. I have demonstrated the ability to make the right choices, without making a mistake. Hence why i am still able to own firearms , and DOJ cleared me for my permit. I was told to look at Imperial Valley as opposed to San Diego by a Police Recruiter. I called a couple agencies out there and they told me to call back when i graduated the academy to set up a appointment with a BI. So that was the best luck i've had yet. Less competition is what i got from the recruiter telling me, out in Imperial Valley.
            Last edited by cactuscooler; 05-18-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
              You're with the same girl as the incident?
              Yes i am... Just thought i did the right thing, before things got out of hand. Obviously it wasn't the best choice.
              Last edited by cactuscooler; 05-18-2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

post deleted

Comment

Ok, who called 9-11 again? Also, forgot to ask: what Penal Code section were you arrested under?

I read your story but remember LE is going to look from the report perspective, not yours. If I were a BI, this is what I would think: you're with the same person that led to a very recent DV issue. Is it possible that a DV issue may come up again? Statistics are against you, and being with the same girlfriend, it's a very good bet (stats again). Suppose you get hired on and another DV happens. BAD ju-ju for the agency.

As for time flying by, who knows since they have a plethora of candidates to choose from, and are losing their own vested positions as we speak (take a look at what's happening in RSO). That means agencies that are fortunate enough to be hiring will have their pick from seasoned LE. Sorry to be Mr. Doom and Gloom.
                  243 (E) 1 is what i was arrested for under. I was told by a BI that my saving grace would be that i am still with her, and i was told by someone else that looks good too. As opposed to her just ending it with me. Look, i understand it looks terrible...had i felt what happpend was a result of my actions and ability not to control my anger like in 98% of the DV cases. Then i know i wouldn't dare apply for LE, but since it didn't happen that way. I feel like i should give myself a try, since this is something i am passionate about. I know this is not a positive subject to bring up, but i think the law is geared towards putting men away. The Officers had to make a choice under the mandatory DA policy, so they picked me.

I was the one that called, my thought process was to have her removed and deescalate the situation before it got out of hand. And it backfired, and i was taken instead. I could tell my story till i was blue in the face, and i already face this stigma of a ' woman abuser'.

Moral of the story, a Women and a fight can destroy your future forever. Even if you called for assistance first.
                  Last edited by cactuscooler; 05-18-2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

When I graduated the CSA Academy, back in January, I was hesitant to apply for deputy, when they had testing for it, because I was on training and I was on work probation and there were rumors going around that us new guys couldn't apply. Well one of the deputies I work with said apply and let PSD say yes or no for the DST process. Well I applied and I am looking into being sponsored for the next academy class, 199, so what I am saying is go for it, let them say yes or no. You made a mistake, we all do, the best thing is to be honest like you have been, and you will get picked up sooner or later. That's just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by cactuscooler View Post
                      I have over 3 years experience in Armed Security, from DoD work, to patrol. I have demonstrated the ability to make the right choices, without making a mistake. Hence why i am still able to own firearms , and DOJ cleared me for my permit. I was told to look at Imperial Valley as opposed to San Diego by a Police Recruiter. I called a couple agencies out there and they told me to call back when i graduated the academy to set up a appointment with a BI. So that was the best luck i've had yet. Less competition is what i got from the recruiter telling me, out in Imperial Valley.
                      Do you have a college degree? Are you a war hero? Were you an explorer/cadet/volunteer? Otherwise you are not competitive with just armed guard experience DV arrest or not. Imperial Valley is a good idea, but they aren't hiring much out there either. Maybe try a reserve program.

Comment

post deleted

Comment

Well, thats why BIs do house visits. I was told the same thing about Imperial Valley agencies, but didnt want to chase waterfalls when I had my education to pursue. Timing sucks bad though.
                          I agree with nobody. Try and do a feeler for reserve programs. They will give you a good idea whether or not a fulltime gig is going to fly. Good luck in the process!
                          Would reserves have the same hiring standards? And what can you tell me about Grossmont College's police academy, i know its taught in Modules. What could i do being a level II Officer? Or should i just go through with a regular POST and be done with it.?

Thanks guys, i appreciate the honest advice and thoughts you've put into this

Comment

As a Level II Officer, you can only patrol with a full-time partner or a Level 1d Officer. The hiring standards for a reserve are the same as a full-time officer. But more agencies will be more prone to hire a reserve, such as a sheriff's department since you don't get paid for your time. As for modular academy, if you're working full-time, that will work for you. BUT, you should look at what agencies you want to work for in the future, because very few of them accept a modular academy for a full-time gig. If you go through a regular POST, you will graduate faster, can work as a Level 1 officer (patrol on your own), and have an academy certficate most agencies will accept. But you will only have three years to get hired upon graduation before that certificate expires.
                            "Think about the consequences before you mess with a Deputy Sheriff."

Comment

post deleted
                              Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:28 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4876 users online. 290 members and 4586 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X