300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on LAPD.

I just filled out the PBA and JPQ just for the heck of it, but before I even try to go further I was wondering a few things.

How is it like to work for them? e.g. Every day gives you something different or every day is basically the same.

Is it really as dangerous as it seems? e.g. Officers getting assaulted, shot at, etc.

Is it one of those agencies that seems to hire just about anybody? I work for WA DOC and it seem if you have a pulse and no felonies you can probably get a job there.

How does management treat you guys?

Originally posted by KJB View Post
    I just filled out the PBA and JPQ just for the heck of it, but before I even try to go further I was wondering a few things.

How is it like to work for them? e.g. Every day gives you something different or every day is basically the same.

Is it really as dangerous as it seems? e.g. Officers getting assaulted, shot at, etc.

Is it one of those agencies that seems to hire just about anybody? I work for WA DOC and it seem if you have a pulse and no felonies you can probably get a job there.

How does management treat you guys?
    I suggest going to www.policebackground.net as that site is dedicated to LAPD. There is a ton of info on there and the guy that runs it is great. Good luck!

skoonz

Comment

Work is cool there are 21 different geographic divisions and 4 traffic divisions. Each one is different, but you can pretty much expect to be fairly busy most of the time while on patrol. Calls for service are different, but the same in nature. Most LAPD probationers have more experience in a year than smaller department officers with 5-10 just because of the sheer volume of crime and criminals.

It is a dangerous job, the people in LA you will be dealing with generally don't like the police. Expect to be in a couple fights, and expect that you are gonna get bumped up and scraped up during your tenure with the department.

They don't hire just anybody, but like any large agency there are still less than adequate people that slip through the cracks.

Supervision varies and changes, some supervisors and captains are awesome, and make for a great place to work, others can make life a living hell. However like all things they change, supervisors move, captains get promoted and retire....

All in all I enjoy working there, plenty of opportunities to work in a variety of areas, lots of specialized units, and for the most part I generally like my coworkers and as long as you are willing to work hard and do quality work, its not bad at all.
      "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post
        Work is cool there are 21 different geographic divisions and 4 traffic divisions. Each one is different, but you can pretty much expect to be fairly busy most of the time while on patrol. Calls for service are different, but the same in nature. Most LAPD probationers have more experience in a year than smaller department officers with 5-10 just because of the sheer volume of crime and criminals.

It is a dangerous job, the people in LA you will be dealing with generally don't like the police. Expect to be in a couple fights, and expect that you are gonna get bumped up and scraped up during your tenure with the department.

They don't hire just anybody, but like any large agency there are still less than adequate people that slip through the cracks.

Supervision varies and changes, some supervisors and captains are awesome, and make for a great place to work, others can make life a living hell. However like all things they change, supervisors move, captains get promoted and retire....

All in all I enjoy working there, plenty of opportunities to work in a variety of areas, lots of specialized units, and for the most part I generally like my coworkers and as long as you are willing to work hard and do quality work, its not bad at all.
        Well written.
        Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
        Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post

This about sums it up.

Comment

Maybe?

I wonder if LAPD will one day develop a decent lateral program...

Comment

Originally posted by Adams23 View Post
              I wonder if LAPD will one day develop a decent lateral program...
              That depends upon your definition of "decent."

They have held shortened lateral academy classes in the past, when recruiting was at an all out effort to fill the ranks. There's no need for anything like that, these days, and probably not in the near future.
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Laterals are too hard to brainwash

Comment

well..

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                  That depends upon your definition of "decent."

They have held shortened lateral academy classes in the past, when recruiting was at an all out effort to fill the ranks. There's no need for anything like that, these days, and probably not in the near future.
                  I guess by decent I mean more of an incentive to lateral. Offering a one step increase for every 2 years of service with a max of increase to step 4 as a P1 and just moving up the ranks thereafter is not incentive. Im comparing to other depts who offer near top step pay off the bat. Im not referring to their 6 week lateral academy... I was thinking of this within the last couple of years as they continued to hire new boots and pay $$$ to put them through an academy while other depts would only hire laterals. It seems much more efficient to hire a lateral who will almost certainly pass probation and be on the streets quicker since their academy is just 6 weeks. and YES it is harder to brainwash a lateral lol but i know plenty of guys who work in other depts both within the city of LA and outside who actually would have applied but their lateral program is just not as good as other depts.

And I totally agree with bigcitypolice06 as hes mentioned time and time again stop hiring new guys! I think LAPD needs to manage its personnel much more efficiently instead of just continuing to hire. I never understood how it made sense to make guys take TO's (so their off the streets meaning less bodies on patrol) then saying the solution is to hire more guys because there arent enough officers out there.(not to mention the morale buzz kill) So you would rather pay $$$$$ to put someone through an academy, hope they make it, hope they make probation.. instead of paying your own guys overtime? All the while your own guys are in financial trouble which means they are not happy at work meaning less productive... I dont get it. Maybe im off here since I dont know the $$ numbers it costs to do one way or the other, but thats just my opinion.

Comment

Its the politicians who would rather keep hiring people....LAPPL, and pretty much every copper I know (with the exception of current boots) think we should stop hiring and save money. The mayor and city council have to justify the garbage tax that was passed, they have been spending the money on everything but LAPD, and would like to continue their revenue stream.....
                    "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

the truth of LAPD is that until you make Lt or above you are just a number to them and can be replaced with a few strokes of a pen, the upper brass will cut you lose and hire someone new to fill your place at under 50k a year and just saved the department 40-50k for the year. My advice is to get hired, finish probation and lateral out.

Comment

Originally posted by BanditLAPD View Post
                        the truth of LAPD is that until you make Lt or above you are just a number to them and can be replaced with a few strokes of a pen, the upper brass will cut you lose and hire someone new to fill your place at under 50k a year and just saved the department 40-50k for the year. My advice is to get hired, finish probation and lateral out.

How can you do that when all new recruits have to sign that contract that they will not leave the dept within 8 years of being hired? Or if they do, they have to pay the dept back a **** load of money.

Comment

Originally posted by lakings10 View Post
                          How can you do that when all new recruits have to sign that contract that they will not leave the dept within 8 years of being hired? Or if they do, they have to pay the dept back a **** load of money.
                          from what my lapd classmates tell me.. that document is worthless and they never actually have gone after anyone

Comment

i would imagine if they tried, they'd look like a bully organization going after a lowly public servant trying to better himself by switching depts.

Comment

No they did try and it didn't hold up in court.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4200 users online. 272 members and 3928 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X