300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about PERS

My agency doesnt use PERS.. Im processing with another agency that does and luckily they are still offering 3%@50. My question is, if i were to be hired by this agency and one day leave to go to another dept that also has PERS but their new hires get 2%@55.. Would my retirement equation change or is it once you are in PERS you stay at that same equation? I

You will still get to keep your service time you put in at 3 at 50 as 3 at 50... but all your new time will be 2 at 55. Don't make that switch. I would seriously considering switching departments, but the places I would go have lost 3 at 50... it's not worth it. You can also switch to non CA PERS places (generally county or cities with their own retirement systems) under reciprocity agreements. It works almost the same way.

Comment

Your final retirement is based upon the contract with PERS that your final agency holds, plain and simple. If you start at a [email protected] agency and finish at a [email protected], you will get [email protected] The monies posted at [email protected] will be there and gain interest until you retire.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Got it.. thx guys

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
          Your final retirement is based upon the contract with PERS that your final agency holds, plain and simple. If you start at a [email protected] agency and finish at a [email protected], you will get [email protected] The monies posted at [email protected] will be there and gain interest until you retire.
          You will get 3% for all the [email protected] years you worked and 2% for all the [email protected] years worked. And yes, you will have to wait until 55 to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
            You will get 3% for all the [email protected] years you worked and 2% for all the [email protected] years worked. And yes, you will have to wait until 55 to retire.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            This is the correct answer.

Adams, which So. Cal police department do you work for that isn't enrolled in PERS??? With the description you had given, I figured you worked for Sierra Madre PD or something, but they're a PERS agency.
            Ignore List----DAL

"but I warranty you that I’ll be a better candidate than a kid that just got out of high school and self-sponsor himself."...Just another brain surgeon who's looking for a cop job on Officer.com.

Comment

Not exactly true. Each period of time is calculated according to the formula used during that time frame. The sum of the individual time frames is your retirement total. Your final department's contract only influences your retirement age and the factor at which the years spent at that particular department is calculated.

For example: 10 years with 2%@55 at department 1, plus 10 years with 3%@50 with department two, plus your last 10 years with 3%@55 will result in you retiring no earlier than age 55 with 80% of your salary. (20%)+(30%)+(30%) at 55.
              "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
                Not exactly true. Each period of time is calculated according to the formula used during that time frame. The sum of the individual time frames is your retirement total. Your final department's contract only influences your retirement age and the factor at which the years spent at that particular department is calculated.

For example: 10 years with 2%@55 at department 1, plus 10 years with 3%@50 with department two, plus your last 10 years with 3%@55 will result in you retiring no earlier than age 55 with 80% of your salary. (20%)+(30%)+(30%) at 55.
                Yeah, that's what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post

Remember, the final rate of pay for a LEO individual under PERS is based on the SINGLE HIGHEST year of earnings - no longer based on the average of the final three years - and is contingent on the contract under which the party is working at the time of retirement.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Remember, the final rate of pay for a LEO individual under PERS is based on the SINGLE HIGHEST year of earnings - no longer based on the average of the final three years - and is contingent on the contract under which the party is working at the time of retirement.
                    Sorry SgtCHP, but not quite accurate again. Each department contracts for either the one highest year of compensation, or an average of the highest three years. Not every department has contracted for single year highest compensation. Even if your statement was true, the explanation given by HBLiam and myself is still accurate. Final compensation, calculated by single highest year, or an average of three years, is not dependent on 2%@55, 3%@50, 2.5%@55, or any other formula. Because of this, your statement has no baring on our explanations of how PERS calculates the retirement check.
                    "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Yep, single highest year or average of three years is a negotiated item. It is true that if you are at say a three year average agency and move to a single year (which will be rare in the coming years) agency, you will use whatever the agency you retire from uses when you got hired there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3152 users online. 161 members and 2991 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X