• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDCR Open Statewide Examination

CORRECTIONAL OFFICER
    YOUTH CORRECTIONAL OFFICER
    YOUTH CORRECTIONAL COUNSELOR

To apply you must submit your application via the Internet. Applications submitted by mail will NOT be accepted. Applicants will complete their application and respond to questions regarding their ability to meet the minimum qualifications. Applications will only be accepted on May 17-30, 2011.

Job Bulletin

California has always been known to be horrendously unpredictable, it seems. I've always heard CDCR is a great place to work and folks at my department have left to work there, only to find out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

It's going to be interesting to see how this supposed "hiring" is played out with the passage of AB 109. With the shifting of state inmates to local counties, and the current dismal financial situation of the state, I find it hard to believe that the state is going to be hiring any Correctional Officers (adult & juvenile) any time soon. Maybe it's just a way of having an updated eligibility list for future promulgation? I don't know. But I do know that Sheriff Baca and Chief Probation Officer Blevins both want state inmates and parolees since both Probation Dept and Sheriff Dept will get some major funding to handle the additional "burden." Crime and recidivism are bound to increase with thousands of adult and juvenile idiots being transferred back to LA County facilities. But the resources are there. I have seen both agencies go a long time without hiring additional staff. But now that the county will receive funding with AB 109, I see openings coming up for both Sheriff & Probation. It's going to be very interesting to see how this "realignment" plays out in the next few months.
    Stupidity should always be free.

Comment

I'm interested in the Youth Corrections Counselor position. Does anyone know if they still are able to CCW off duty since they do not receive weapons training at the academy?

Also, is anyone familiar with this position and could tell me more? One thing I'm curious about is whether there is OT with this position. I know for the COs they have plenty, but do the YCCs?

Comment

Each prison is running at about 150-200% capacity and we are very understaffed. We will have no problem finding homes for the new C/O's. The job sucks beyond belief but the pay and benefits (which are rapidly decreasing) can make it somewhat bearable. Be prepared to be hated by the public, the media, the inmates, your bosses and the state government. Enjoy!

Comment

Anyone else here have their PAT on Tuesday?

Comment

Originally posted by richjorg View Post
            Each prison is running at about 150-200% capacity and we are very understaffed. We will have no problem finding homes for the new C/O's. The job sucks beyond belief but the pay and benefits (which are rapidly decreasing) can make it somewhat bearable. Be prepared to be hated by the public, the media, the inmates, your bosses and the state government. Enjoy!
            So would it be easier now to get Norco or Chino as a duty station? A few years ago when I applied they were sending alot of the new CO's to Blythe or Imperial County.

Comment

Any word on how many bodies they are looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by Don951 View Post
                So would it be easier now to get Norco or Chino as a duty station? A few years ago when I applied they were sending alot of the new CO's to Blythe or Imperial County.
                It is hard to say. It just depends on where the need is greatest. I am sure that SVSP and HDSP will be at the top of the needs list. My academy was offered 3 prisons or nada. The junior class that came in after us pretty much got to pick where they wanted to go.

Comment

Originally posted by richjorg View Post
                  I feel for anybody who works for CDCR. This blew me away:
                  Correctional Officer (After Academy)
                  $3,774 - $6,144 per month Really?
                  In the LA/OC area, I don't know how you could live off that. My hat is off to all of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Prospective View Post
                    I feel for anybody who works for CDCR. This blew me away:
                    Correctional Officer (After Academy)
                    $3,774 - $6,144 per month Really?
                    In the LA/OC area, I don't know how you could live off that. My hat is off to all of you.
                    Most of us live in areas with a lower cost of living, so it's not bad. I can live better on $70,000 in Bakersfield than a cop in LA making 95,000. I grew up in the west SFV.

Comment

"TOUGH job that's getting tougher and tougher with budget cuts and increased stress" according to a buddy of mine at CIM.

..I have nothing but RESPECT for c/o's.
                      Timelines:

CBPO
                      App: 2/12/09
                      Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                      Written: 2/20/09
                      NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                      TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                      App: 5/5/09
                      Geo: San Diego
                      Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                      NOR: 7/20/09
                      Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                      TO: 10/6/09
                      Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                      Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                      Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                      App: 8/17/10
                      Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                      TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

For those asking about the areas. We were told during our orientation/written that Susanville is the most understaffed right now and the two High Desert prisons will be offered for most who make it through the process. He said for transfers you're looking at 3-4 years minimum right now depending on where you want to go. He also said don't plan on being offered anywhere in the Sacramento valley or other northern California locations, as there are rarely openings in these locations. I passed my PAT this past Tuesday and turned in my background packet. Good luck to all of you!

Comment

Hey i was trying to come across this infamous" apply now" link and the links from the pdf bulletin are not working im not computer illiterate maybe my browser settings are off. does anyone care to guide me towards applying for a position please?

Comment

Double check the dates window for when applications are being accepted.

Comment

**If you want to apply for a career where not only criminals, but the public, law enforcement and society in general hates you this place is for you. * * This career is an excellent place to feel the excitement that comes with budget cuts and furloughs. We just completed an awesome 2 years of 3 furlough days a month. 36 unpaid work days a year!!!
                              *I like to live on the edge, the excitement of not knowing if I'll be able to pay my mortgage and keep my finances in order, provides me with a euphoric feeling of being alive, so as I read the latest budget cuts affecting cdcr e.g pers, layoffs, medical and retirement keeps me satisfied.*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4313 users online. 272 members and 4041 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X