X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beachbum0177
    replied
    Originally posted by FJDave View Post
    Not me....I spent 21 years in Plan E (e for empty) with County Police before the merge with LASD (I'm a Deputy now, no longer a Sarge). I'll have a split retirement, with B kicking in when I retire and E kicking in when I'm 65. I'm in much better shape now that I'm in B, but nowhere near as good as Retired96 or any other long-time LASD Deputy.

Some of the folks I work with have Plan E, and they really dislike it but can't afford to change over to Plan D, which requires a contribution. All I know is I have about 20 more years to go before I can retire with enough pension to continue supporting a few beer companies, and perhaps eat a meal or two per day.
    I know you're a deputy now, but I also know you as a Sgt with County PD, and I worked with a lot of good folks in that dept. Every now and then when I look at that patch, it brings back some memories... good and bad.

Leave a comment:

• Garbage Man
    replied
    Originally posted by hbliam View Post
    Per the county website an OC DA Investigator tops out at $103,752 or $8646/month. They start at $81,036 or $6753/month.

S1 52 03 S D N N 8646 6753 $49.88 $38.96 03 P-09A DISTRICT ATTORNEY INVESTIGATOR

http://egov.ocgov.com/vgnfiles/ocgov...611.pdf%20.pdf

You must have their pay confused with the guys/gals with the JD's.
    cool thanks I looked at LA county human recources pay schedule and it listed the lower amount. I am sure your numbers are more likely correct.

As for why they pay so much you have to look at their criteria. You need to be a police detective with a degree. It is a promitional postition so it needs to pay more. Usually they pay about what the sheriff pays their Sgt's. So as a Detective you have a choice, either go to the DA's offcie or test for sgt. In the LASD however they have pay enhancments for certain levels of detectives. They have Homicide Det's that make commander pay.

Leave a comment:

• hbliam
    replied
    Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post
    OC DA's pay over 10,000 per month.
    Per the county website an OC DA Investigator tops out at $103,752 or $8646/month. They start at $81,036 or $6753/month.

S1 52 03 S D N N 8646 6753 $49.88 $38.96 03 P-09A DISTRICT ATTORNEY INVESTIGATOR

http://egov.ocgov.com/vgnfiles/ocgov...611.pdf%20.pdf

You must have their pay confused with the guys/gals with the JD's.

Leave a comment:

• FJDave
    replied
    And you wonder why OC is always hovering near bankruptcy....10K a month?? Wow!!! That is like LT pay on my department.

Leave a comment:

• Garbage Man
    replied
    I looked up pay schedules and an Investigvator for the DA's office shows top step of 6100 per month. That cant be right. DA investigators are promotional positions for detectives, how are they gonna get people to apply at that low a salary?

OC DA's pay over 10,000 per month.

Does anybody know any LA DA Inv's?

Leave a comment:

• Garbage Man
    replied
    This answers some of my questions

You must leave your contributions and interest on deposit with LACERA while your employment is covered by a reciprocal retirement system. Under reciprocity, you must apply for retirement from each system separately and retire from each system concurrently (on the same day). Each system will provide you with a separate benefit payment, based on your age and years of service credit in that system.

Your contribution rate in the new system will be based on your age when you joined the first system. This could be advantageous to you because the younger you are when you join a contributory retirement plan, the lower your monthly contribution rate is. Your years of service earned under each system will be added together to meet vesting requirements and the minimum years of service credit needed for retirement. When calculating your retirement allowance, each system will use your highest final compensation, whether you earned that compensation while a member of LACERA or a reciprocal system.

But that, of course means no double dipping. it really is just like lateralling.

Leave a comment:

• Garbage Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
    If your 50 years old, its 2% per years of service, if your under 50 the percentage goes down a little... Keep in mind that at 25 years of service the county pays your health, dental and vision which is a huge benefit..If you have 20 years of service, the county would pay 80% of your healthcare and you would pay 20%. The county doesn't pay 2.5 percent until 55. Also since your in plan B you only receive a maximum of a 2% COLA rather than 3% that those of us in plan A are eligible for. Plan A was a much better plan but there are only a handful on the dept. now in plan A. ( joined prior to 1978). I heard its less than 100 on the dept. in plan A
    Well I would be 55 at the time I retired from them. I would start at 50. Unfortuatly I will only have 5 years on so I dont see them paying any of my medical. I have a medical trust fund at my current agency and that is something I need to factor in as well.

I could just stay put but the idea of double dipping is soooo tempting. Getting my pension on tops of a pretty high salary. I just need to right formulas to do the math.

The COLA is huge. Under PERS they have had perios of adjustment when the COLA has gone way below the rising COL. I takeit LACERA never does that.

Leave a comment:

• FJDave
    replied
    Originally posted by beachbum0177 View Post
    Garbage Man and Sarge (FJDave), you guys are both gonna have a good pension to live off once you retire. You guys did more than your time in service and will be rewarded for all the work you put in. I'm barely going on 5 years with LA County, and only wish I had something close to Plan B retirement. I have Plan D (which is not very attractive even with longevity pay), but still better than Plan E, which is pretty much a joke. Maybe I sometimes regret not going with LASD and dealing with adult idiotic miscreants, and I chose instead to deal with locked up juvenile delinquents (who are going to recidivate and end up being adult idiotic miscreants anyways).
    Not me....I spent 21 years in Plan E (e for empty) with County Police before the merge with LASD (I'm a Deputy now, no longer a Sarge). I'll have a split retirement, with B kicking in when I retire and E kicking in when I'm 65. I'm in much better shape now that I'm in B, but nowhere near as good as Retired96 or any other long-time LASD Deputy.

Leave a comment:

• Retired96
    replied
    Ok that is interesting. I guess i would pay 12.23% then.

What is the plan pay out? number of years times, what, 2.5?
    If your 50 years old, its 2% per years of service, if your under 50 the percentage goes down a little... Keep in mind that at 25 years of service the county pays your health, dental and vision which is a huge benefit..If you have 20 years of service, the county would pay 80% of your healthcare and you would pay 20%. The county doesn't pay 2.5 percent until 55. Also since your in plan B you only receive a maximum of a 2% COLA rather than 3% that those of us in plan A are eligible for. Plan A was a much better plan but there are only a handful on the dept. now in plan A. ( joined prior to 1978). I heard its less than 100 on the dept. in plan A

Leave a comment:

• Garbage Man
    replied
    "Receive up to 100% pay" that is interesting.

I see you need 10 years service credit but 5 years vesting. They also mention credit for reciprocal service time, I am sure that they have a reciprocal agreement with PERS ( I mean, if not them, then who?) but I wonder if I get that credit if I retire from PERS? I also see you can buy service credit. So I wonder if I work 5 and buy 5 if I can start collecting right away at 55? If not then the 5 years without that money still applies, if it does then I am back to OC DA where I am known and loved, OK known at least.

Leave a comment:

• beachbum0177
    replied
    Garbage Man and Sarge (FJDave), you guys are both gonna have a good pension to live off once you retire. You guys did more than your time in service and will be rewarded for all the work you put in. I'm barely going on 5 years with LA County, and only wish I had something close to Plan B retirement. I have Plan D (which is not very attractive even with longevity pay), but still better than Plan E, which is pretty much a joke. Maybe I sometimes regret not going with LASD and dealing with adult idiotic miscreants, and I chose instead to deal with locked up juvenile delinquents (who are going to recidivate and end up being adult idiotic miscreants anyways).

Leave a comment:

• FJDave
    replied
    GM - here is the site and particular page for most of the info you are looking for. I am not sure what the payout is (I should find out though).

http://www.lacera.com/benefits/safety_plan_b.html

Leave a comment:

• Garbage Man
    replied
    Ok that is interesting. I guess i would pay 12.23% then.

What is the plan pay out? number of years times, what, 2.5?

Leave a comment:

• retired
    replied
    Oh man that is a completely different system than what I am used to. Is your pay still based on a percentage of your final pay times your years of service? How much would a 50 year old have to pay per month? Is it a percentage of pay?

Under 3/50 at age 50 I would pay the same as anybody else and if I then retired after 5 years I would get 15% of my single highest year. 3X5 years of service.
    If your entry age is 50, you will pay this percentage of your pay.

Plan A....11.67%

Plan B.....!2.23%

Leave a comment:

• Garbage Man
    replied
    Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
    How much you contribute is based on how old you are when you join. The older you are the higher your contributions are, but they stay the same throughout your career.
    Oh man that is a completely different system than what I am used to. Is your pay still based on a percentage of your final pay times your years of service? How much would a 50 year old have to pay per month? Is it a percentage of pay?

Under 3/50 at age 50 I would pay the same as anybody else and if I then retired after 5 years I would get 15% of my single highest year. 3X5 years of service.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4659 users online. 302 members and 4357 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X