300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info about California Department of Insurance Fraud Detectives

Can anyone provide any insight on the DOI Fraud Detectives? I'm currently a Deputy Sheriff and I am applying with DOI (Detective) and just wanted to know what a typical day is for them. I know they are full time peace officers under PC 830.3. Does the department allow them to carry off duty? Are there any perks like a take home car? What are the benefits like for new hires now? Do they have the 3@50?
    What is the pay scale like? On my notice I received from them, it says "Rank/Sequence 2/1". What does that mean?

Also, is it a good time to get in with them, I mean with the budget and all? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    "Sometimes there's Justice, and Sometimes there's just US."

http://www.jobs.ca.gov/CASPB/sup/Bul...08610&R3=1PB02

The link is an open enrollment for entry level Investigators. The bottom tier is $3,902 a month.

I have actually applied to them. State jobs are the worst to apply for. You first have to get on a hire list by submitting a quasi test (which is basically a questionnaire validating you are qualified to even apply for the position). Then you can actually apply.

Most state LEO pay scales are greatly inferior (CHP being main exception) to uniformed county and municipal positions.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I was never for DOI but I used to work closely with them before I retired, It's been many years, but back then they used to have take home cars, state furnished cell phones and pagers.

Most of their work was focused on staged auto accidents (swoop and squat) where crooked attorneys and doctors would work together to bilk a victim's insurance company for fake injuries. They also dealt with large scale workers comp fraud. Finally, they had no hesitation about arresting cops who made false insurance claims (sold their car for parts and then reported it as stolen to collect the insurance money). They did a lot of UC work and because there were so few of them, it was not unusual to see them go out on raids wearing ski masks to keep their identity safe for future operations.

They used to have tons of OT money, but often the OT involved building evidence in a case by sifting through mountains of medical and accounting records.

DOI is specially funded by revenue from the insurance industry, so it is not subject to same budget woes of the other state agencies who get their moneys from the General Fund. However, even though specially funded agencies like CHP, DMV and DOI are fat when it comes to money, the both Jerry Brown and the last governor has directed that they take certain cuts anyway. They haven't been killer cuts, but they seem kind of silly, considering the departments in question aren't even close to hurting for money and by law, their funds cannot be transferred to other agencies.

I believe a new labor contract for DOI and other state safety personnel is about to be approved. The last labor contract was extended for several years and can be found here

http://www.dpa.ca.gov/pv_obj_cache/p...lename/mou.pdf

There used to be at least one DOI guy here. Hopefully he will chime in.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by nicmoody04 View Post
        Can anyone provide any insight on the DOI Fraud Detectives? I'm currently a Deputy Sheriff and I am applying with DOI (Detective) and just wanted to know what a typical day is for them. I know they are full time peace officers under PC 830.3. Does the department allow them to carry off duty? Are there any perks like a take home car? What are the benefits like for new hires now? Do they have the 3@50?
        What is the pay scale like? On my notice I received from them, it says "Rank/Sequence 2/1". What does that mean?

Also, is it a good time to get in with them, I mean with the budget and all? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
        send me a pm

Comment

PM Sent thanks

Comment

I know two DOI fraud investigators. Even though they are full-time peace officers, they are also reserves for one of the departments I work for. They have an irregular work schedule and do surveillances as well as document-based investigations. I have not discussed pay for them, but I believe they have 3% at 50 retirement. However, new hires could be subject to a less generous program.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

post deleted
              Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Same here. I have a BS in Admin of Justice and it also told me that I did not score high enough. I hate the fact that all of the investigations positions are lumped into one application, because now that screws me for all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
                  When they say entry level, are they looking for college grads or people with LE experience.
                  My general understanding was they wanted someone who already had thier Basic certificate (which means to me someone who IS a LEO and finished probation). Which would be someone who already jumped through a lot of hoops, got into the system and under the umbrella of the union and is making a lot more.

There are new college grad positions, but they are not LEO positions, they SUPPORT the LEO positions. Then one can get a DOI LEO position from there.

The whole state system is designed around internal promotions. This also includes the investment part of it like the analysts and managers of the Calpers and Calsters investment funds. To get a good state position one has to have started there at the bottom.

To lateral you have to step down quite a bit from where you currently are.

That's my observation with the state system.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                  - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Yes, can carry off duty
                    Yes, take home car
                    Benefits are good overall (health, dental, vision for individual or family)
                    Effective Jan 1, 2011 - any new State employee will be getting the 2.5% @ 55
                    payscale - there is room to negotiate slightly, usually will come in at least in middle range.
                    rank / sequence: check www.spb.ca.gov (state personnel website) and check on this.

Originally posted by nicmoody04 View Post

''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                    -- John Wayne

Comment

Can anybody tell me what the rank/sequence means on the employment inquiry? I think the rank is where I scored on the exam, but what is the sequence? Thanksinquiry.jpg

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10746 users online. 524 members and 10222 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X