Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying with Multiple Agencies Questions(California)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying with Multiple Agencies Questions(California)

Is it really ethical for law enforcement agencies to tell applicants to list every agency that they have ever applied to? In a way I feel like this should be a labor law violation because they often times use this information against the applicant for their hiring decisions. This doesn't happen in any other field. The reason I bring this up is because most agencies advertise as an EOP(Equal Opportunity Employer), and by asking this question the focus always seems to shift from the applicants qualifications. However, this practice seems to be more prominent with the more "premier agencies".

Has anyone ever declined to answer this question? Can you decline to answer it?
    Last edited by camelotskin; 08-04-2011, 05:24 PM.

You can decline to answer it; and they can decline to select you for testing hiring etc.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

How do you consider it to be an ethics violation? And what exactly has the question got to do with the EEOC again?

Comment

It wouldn't be an ethics violation if agencies in California didn't ask applicants to withdraw themselves from the hiring process because they have been DQ'd from a neighboring agency. I maybe could have left out the EOP part...maybe more of a labor law violation. For instance, if you apply in any other field, and go to an interview and disclose that you recently had four other interviews with different companies and were not chosen by any of them, there is absolutely now way you will get hired. Do you see my point or not? This happens with California law enforcement agencies.

Comment

^^^^^

Don't grab the bait Brother.. He/She has no clue what they are talking about.
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Departments ask you for this information so the BI can go to those other agencies to review your background file. That agency has already done their homework on you. Reduces the amount of work the other agency BI has to do. They get to see exactly why you were disqualified or not selected for hire. Work smarter, not harder!!

Comment

Yup, if I were you I would explain exactly, word for word, your theory here to every BI you have.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Smurfette
              Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
              Originally posted by DAL
              You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Camelot, if you're going to try and go all shenanigans with a BI, a song you should remember is, "It's A Small World".
                Ignore List----DAL

"but I warranty you that I’ll be a better candidate than a kid that just got out of high school and self-sponsor himself."...Just another brain surgeon who's looking for a cop job on Officer.com.

Comment

#1 way we catch liars.
                  Originally posted by FJDave
                  GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                  "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

Im glad to list every department I have applied for. There are several agencies Im in the process with. I want every department to know that Im not sitting around waiting for them or a dream department. Im going wherever I get offered first. If they want to call around and get info, great! Makes my process that much faster.

Comment

As someone who sits on every hiring board and is also involved in some BI processes, your theory does not hold water. There are many legitimate reasons why potentially good officers are not hired by other agencies. It is generally that the candidate in question was not the #1 candidate, but would have been offered a job if they were hiring more than X amount of officers. We have passed on a number of good candidates for this reason, as has every other department out there. Other departments are other people to talk to. As long as you weren't DQd, the number of agencies you have applied for really doesn't matter.

Comment

I don't think agencies are looking at guys who applied to 10+ agencies and think, this guy is garbage. Its the nature of the beast right now. Its not being used to measure you as a candidate. Its really just about them checking up on your other applications to make sure you are consistent and telling the truth regardless of where you are applying.

Remember, failing a PAT or a written or an interview isn't a DQ, its just not making the cut. A DQ is bad; conversely, not getting selected sucks for your pocketbook, but it doesn't mean you are a liar. A DQ means you were caught in a lie somewhere, or have something in your BG that is a DQ'er (certain drug use, felony conviction, misdem. domestic convic, driving record, medical, etc etc etc), or you failed a psyche or poly. Racking up non-selects is much different from racking up DQ's.

Comment

Just Joe, You make some good points, however this wasn't a theory but more of a question based on what many applicants think. The reason I asked the question was because I like many other applicants never really know how I am being perceived by a prospective agency when I tell them about the other agencies that I am testing with. Also because they always want to know exactly what has happened at each agency. The bottom line is, if someone is still looking for employment with an agency, then they were either non-selected, DQ'd, or failed some part of the process. I do consider myself to be a "qualified applicant"....i.e. college degree, no automatic disqualifiers etc., but I have been passed over a few times.

Comment

And your BI will want to know why you were passed over. If you were number 10 on their list but they only hired 9 your BI will not see that as a negative. If you listed something in their background packet different than what you listed in his there will be some explaining to do. If you lied to one BI the other BI will find out about it and probably disqualify you also.

We are not a business. We are a public service that is legally required to be honest. There are many things in our process that the average job could not do, but we don't have an average job and the law recognizes that and actually demands that we go the extra mile to ensure quality applicants are getting hired and not corruptable theives and liars.
                            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

I understand what the OP is saying "Kinda". When I went to my BI for SBSO (for dep) ::before the hiring freeze:: I listed other agencies that I had applied for and he got angry. He belived that since I was already hired with SBSO for dispatcher that SBSO should have been my only concideration. He told me that it didnt look good on my application. What Mr. BI doesnt know is that I can care less where I work.. its not about him.. its about what is best for "MY" family.. and if another agency is giving me the oppertunity to work my dream career then I'm going to take it... But he said he'd put me through.... :robably knowing that the hiring freeze would screw me over anyways lol::
                              Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3168 users online. 173 members and 2995 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X