Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Westminster police building ready to go

http://www.ocregister.com/news/build...lice-room.html

WESTMINSTER – After more than seven years of meticulous planning and cost-cutting, the newer, better and much larger Westminster Police Department building is almost ready to be unveiled.

The move into the $52 million, 91,000-square-foot facility happened last month, even as several finishing touches are being completed. Racks for guns in the property room are still being completed. Workers are still finishing up the lobby and entrance area. Others are tweaking security issues including certain doors that would not completely close.

But this is the police facility they have been dreaming of and have desperately needed for the last two decades, said Mitch Waller, who last month, quit his job as police chief after being named city manager.

"This building is not only a significant asset for the Police Department but also the community," he said.

Waller said the department had far outgrown the 26,000-square-foot building constructed in the 1960s. Officers were in a situation in those cramped quarters where they had to move their computer and spread butcher paper over their desks to process evidence from crime scenes, he said.

"And once the evidence was processed, they had to move everything back," he said. "We were certainly not being efficient."

Now, not only do they have a separate room to process evidence, but also an 18-cell jail, new and larger dispatch center, an emergency operations center and community room, briefing room, employee break areas, gym with state-of-the art exercise equipment, locker rooms, property room, new offices for the officers, detectives and administrative staff, a forensics lab and even kennels.

The new building, which was funded by bonds and redevelopment funds, has many features such as double-sided lockers shared by the property room and forensics lab. Westminster Police Sgt. Jim Kingsmill, who worked with the architects on the project, said this was an example of how a police building is completely different from the average office building.

"This locker was something we definitely wanted because it is an important part of making sure that evidence does not have to be carted from one corner of the building to another," he said. "This way there are no questions about the integrity or contamination of the evidence. There were no doubts about a lot of functionality issues we had to look at."

Security is an integral part of such a building, Kingsmill said. A majority of the areas in the building, including elevators, require a badge swipe from employees. A shelf that holds the keys to the patrol vehicles screens officers by using their fingerprints.

The facility is also getting a gold certification for its adherence to green building standards, Kingsmill said. For example, a lot of the infill material for a new parking structure being built where the old police building stood, is recycled material from the old building, he said. The parking lot will cost an additional $15 million and is expected to be completed in a year.

Peter Lattey, an architect with AECOM, said the challenge from his point of view was to shoehorn the new police facility between the old police building and City Hall.

"We had to take into account all the unique features such as the jail, evidence storage and dispatch center," he said. "But at the same time, the city wanted it to be a welcoming place for members of the community. They certainly did not want a bunker with barbed wire around it."

Lattey said the facility was built much larger than necessary because the department is expected "to grow into it." The building should last for a century, he said.

The building also has space to accommodate other city departments and additional room to rent out to other law enforcement agencies, including county or federal task forces, Kingsmill said. The dispatch center also has more room to lease out to other police agencies should they need the space, he said.

Police Chief Ron Coopman said he is proud of the new building, especially of the fact that it came in at least $25 million below budget.

"The economic downturn certainly helped us," he said. "The timing was just right. We got lucky."

I was a Westminster Police Explorer in the late 70's-early 80's. I really liked the feel of the old station, but I didn't have to work there every day. I understand and know first hand how a cramped station feels. Congrats on the new building!
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Originally posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Will WPD be hiring anytime soon?

Comment

Just had lateral testing.. 1 is on the street and 2 are finishing up backgrounds. We're still down 5-8 spots. Not sure when we will be testing again but I'll post up here when we do.

Comment

post deleted
          Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:49 PM.

Comment

You know I'm not sure what direction the jail facility is going yet.. We have 2 jailers right now.. but if we open the jail for outside housing, we're going to need more manpower.

I know we had a few Costa Mesa Officers test for our lateral openings.

Comment

Originally posted by Socal-Cop View Post
              You know I'm not sure what direction the jail facility is going yet.. We have 2 jailers right now.. but if we open the jail for outside housing, we're going to need more manpower.

I know we had a few Costa Mesa Officers test for our lateral openings.
              Any chance on using one of the "Rooms for rent" as an officer room for court? It'd be nice to have one room we could all just hang out in rather than sit on our cans in the hallway, those wood benches get downright uncomfortable after the first few hours.
              Originally posted by FJDave
              GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
              "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

Somebody mentioned that a few weeks ago.. Just come into the main lobby.. there's lounge like sofas with a TV in there

Comment

I worked directly across the courtyard from here in the West Justice Center. It's very nice in person. Does WPD take police recruits or is it all pre-service and laterals?

Comment

I remember seeing a documentary on TARGET teams and how former WPD Chief Cook pioneered the PD, Probation, and DA teams for gang suppression in the 90's. I think Sgt. Jack Davidson eventually made Capt. and Det. Mark Nye made Sgt.. both were featured in the doc. WPD is a very impressive and innovative dept.

Westminster PD would be a great dept. in my opinion to work for.
                    Timelines:

CBPO
                    App: 2/12/09
                    Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                    Written: 2/20/09
                    NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                    TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                    App: 5/5/09
                    Geo: San Diego
                    Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                    NOR: 7/20/09
                    Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                    TO: 10/6/09
                    Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                    Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                    Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                    App: 8/17/10
                    Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                    TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

Originally posted by DCH View Post
                      I remember seeing a documentary on TARGET teams and how former WPD Chief Cook pioneered the PD, Probation, and DA teams for gang suppression in the 90's. I think Sgt. Jack Davidson eventually made Capt. and Det. Mark Nye made Sgt.. both were featured in the doc. WPD is a very impressive and innovative dept.

Westminster PD would be a great dept. in my opinion to work for.
                      Davidson is a Lt.
                      Ignore List----DAL

"but I warranty you that I’ll be a better candidate than a kid that just got out of high school and self-sponsor himself."...Just another brain surgeon who's looking for a cop job on Officer.com.

Comment

Originally posted by velcrostripes View Post
                        Davidson is a Lt.
                        Right you are. Didn't he also survive a high speed head-on TC with a DUI driver?
                        Timelines:

CBPO
                        App: 2/12/09
                        Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                        Written: 2/20/09
                        NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                        TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                        App: 5/5/09
                        Geo: San Diego
                        Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                        NOR: 7/20/09
                        Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                        TO: 10/6/09
                        Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                        Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                        Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                        App: 8/17/10
                        Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                        TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

Originally posted by DCH View Post
                          Didn't he also survive a high speed head-on TC with a DUI driver?
                          Yeah, I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the DUI driver smashed into the rear of his unit (a brick-style Chevy Caprice).
                          Ignore List----DAL

"but I warranty you that I’ll be a better candidate than a kid that just got out of high school and self-sponsor himself."...Just another brain surgeon who's looking for a cop job on Officer.com.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3981 users online. 209 members and 3772 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X