Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socal-Cop
    replied
    What would have happened had they crashed into a car on his way to Vegas and killed an occupant? Or what if some thug decided to get into a shootout with them in another state? The whole situation presents HUGE liabilities.. A HUGE mis-use of city equipment, and obvious ethical issues.. You don't just decide one day, "Hey.. Let's drive to Vegas in our patrol cars!" You work your way up to doing something like that.

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE View Post
    I have never condoned his actions in this incident and never will. I just feel bad seeing a 20 year veteran with a family without a job in these tough times. As a supervisor now, I shake my head even more. I understand the discipline taken, I in many ways support the decision of the department and the civil service commission. But I can still feel bad for a friend.
    FWIW: I don't want to hijack the OP, but I've been going over this in my mind (back and forth) since my post yesterday. If this guy never lied about his actions and has "20 years" of experience (with an otherwise good record), why couldn't he successfully apply to another agency for a CSO position? I noticed that Orange County S.O. is looking for experienced people and if he's learned from his mistake (and I'm sure he has), it seems like he might make a good candidate.

While I seriously doubt he's going to get another sworn position, I think one could make a very good argument why this guy could do a good job in as a civilian. What's the alternative, rejecting this guy for every public service or private sector job out there? Why not give him a chance?

Leave a comment:

• LAschoolCop
    replied
    Awesome! Thats my academy mate that got his job back!!

Leave a comment:

• OneAdam12
    replied
    I think you just hit the nail on the head, "extreme amounts of operational freedom".

Leave a comment:

• EMVAMPYRE
    replied
    Keith, I would have told him not to do it. I frankly wouldn't believe he was serious. When we worked together, he was the voice of reason on a small, 6 deputy team with extreme amounts of operational freedom.

I have never condoned his actions in this incident and never will. I just feel bad seeing a 20 year veteran with a family without a job in these tough times. As a supervisor now, I shake my head even more. I understand the discipline taken, I in many ways support the decision of the department and the civil service commission. But I can still feel bad for a friend.

Leave a comment:

• DCH
    replied
    Kinda makes you wonder if they are investing enough into "challenging integrity" type training, scenarios at the academy level? I know at some federal and military training centers, they are putting more empasis on real- world type training scenarios into their curriculum.

Leave a comment:

• Kieth M.
    replied
    Of course, in that 30, I've known a cop or two who said, "Just for the record...don't do it!" Then stood back, watched and laughed, and then found a comfy spot to watched the pre-suspension antics.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
    I've seen classmates and former partners fired/forced to retire over my 30 years at LAPD. Felt bad for them. Incredibly, they moved on with life. Hopefully, your buddy will too.

But a question for you...had this friend come to you prior to his little Vegas run and said, "Dude, listen to what we're going to do..." and then laid out, step-by-step, this little adventure...what advice would you have given him?
    "Dude, don't do it! You're gonna get in some shiate if you get tagged"

And with GPS, video, and some of the backstabbing among coppers now , there's almost no way you aren't going to get fXXXed.

Or duct tape the unit's outside number, ski masks, and badges and name plates in your pocket.

Some years ago one of our guys had his girlfriend pose across the hood of his beat car, with the outside number plainly visible, semi-nude and sent it to "Easy Rider." Didn't get fired, but took some time for it.
    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 09-18-2011, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kieth M.
    replied
    I'm still sorry for a buddy...
    I've seen classmates and former partners fired/forced to retire over my 30 years at LAPD. Felt bad for them. Incredibly, they moved on with life. Hopefully, your buddy will too.

But a question for you...had this friend come to you prior to his little Vegas run and said, "Dude, listen to what we're going to do..." and then laid out, step-by-step, this little adventure...what advice would you have given him?

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    Once again, I'm not excusing their actions, I too feel it was a harsh punishment. One of the officers whos firing was upheld is an academy classmate and former radio car partner. He was a good cop, a good partner and a good friend. I feel bad for him, but I am not excusing nor condoning his actions.
    It was "harsh punishment", but what an epic display of poor judgment. Your friend may have been a good cop, partner and friend, but there's just no way a lesser degree of discipline could have been justified to the public. While it's completely understandable to feel bad for him, we all need to recognize how important it is maintain the public's trust. One stupid decision (like this one) causes irreparable harm to his department, his co-workers, and LEOs everywhere.

Hopefully, your friend can learn from his experience and move on with his life.
    Last edited by pulicords; 09-18-2011, 07:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EMVAMPYRE
    replied
    What's a 10-25?

I get your point...I'm still sorry for a buddy...

Leave a comment:

• CA Cop
    replied
    Specialized unit or not, Glendale is a small agency compared with LAPD/SD and every officer in that agency that's on duty counts when s-h-i-t hits the fan. Just because they don't handle radio calls for service, doesn't mean they don't respond to 10-25's right? Well explain to me if you were fighting with a PCP suspect, how can they respond to back up when they are in Vegas goofing off?

I'm tired of immature and stupid coppers that gives all of us a bad rap. I'm glad they got fired. Like I said, if they wanted to go to Vegas, take the damn day off.

Leave a comment:

• EMVAMPYRE
    replied
    Originally posted by CA Cop View Post
    Stupid and immature, they should be fired. What if another officer needed backup and was counting on these guys to respond? Glendale is a small agency unlike the LAPD/LASD who can always count on outside units for support. When you only have 3 units on a patrol shift, you'll need every one of those units during a critical incident. Well if 2 of those units were screwing around in Vegas, you are **** up creek with no paddle if you happen to be the solo unit on patrol.

Who was handling their calls for service when they were out ****ing around? I would have fired them without a doubt. If they wanted to go to Vegas, take the night off.

Read the whole thread. The guys were on a specialized unit and not subject to calls at the time of the incident.

Once again, I'm not excusing their actions, I too feel it was a harsh punishment. One of the officers whos firing was upheld is an academy classmate and former radio car partner. He was a good cop, a good partner and a good friend. I feel bad for him, but I am not excusing nor condoning his actions.

Leave a comment:

• CA Cop
    replied
    Stupid and immature, they should be fired. What if another officer needed backup and was counting on these guys to respond? Glendale is a small agency unlike the LAPD/LASD who can always count on outside units for support. When you only have 3 units on a patrol shift, you'll need every one of those units during a critical incident. Well if 2 of those units were screwing around in Vegas, you are **** up creek with no paddle if you happen to be the solo unit on patrol.

Who was handling their calls for service when they were out ****ing around? I would have fired them without a doubt. If they wanted to go to Vegas, take the night off.
    Last edited by CA Cop; 09-17-2011, 04:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    One was reinstated and demoted. The other two had their firings upheld.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...-to-vegas.html

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4548 users online. 247 members and 4301 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X