Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large capacity magazines while on vacation in LA.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large capacity magazines while on vacation in LA.

I am going to take a vacation to the LA area next week. I am staying 6 nights there and then returning to Washington. I have a Gen 4 Glock 17 with 17 round magazines. I know I can travel through CA with no issues provided they are locked in the trunk and not in the pistol. Can I have them in my hotel room locked and loaded or does an extended stay constitute an import. I looked on the Attorney General website but I couldn't find a definitive answer for this situation. Also, if for some reason I am pulled over am I legally required to tell the officer that I have my Glock in my trunk?

Well, first off, what's the purpose for having the gun in the first place? Since you're asking, I'm assuming you're not a cop, I didn't check your profile. Just having the mags without being a cop is illegal. It doesn't really matter to the beat cop how long you're here. You would most likely be arrested and the court will sort it out. If I were you and felt that I had to have the gun, I would buy some 10 round mags. Carry the gun locked in the trunk with the ammo separate and you shouldn't have any problems.

If the gun is transported legally in the trunk, you wouldn't legally have to voluntarily tell the cop you have it when it's just a traffic stop. If he asks you, just be honest and you'll be ok.
    God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

dept of corrections for washington state. its illegal to possess magazines that hold more than 10 rounds unless you are a sworn peace officer in the state of california.

Comment

If you are a credentialed LEO authorized to CCW under the LEOSA, there is no need to worry. If you are not, then the extended magazines are unlawful in CA! If you are transporting the weapon in the trunk of your vehicle, it must be in a locked carrier. You are not obligated to declare the weapon if stopped; unless, it becomes necessary for you to enter the trunk area while being detained by LE. I hope your trip is preplanned and that whatever you select to visit, you will enjoy and have great experiences.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
          If you are transporting the weapon in the trunk of your vehicle, it must be in a locked carrier.
          It's been my understanding that the truck is considered a locked container. The weapon and ammo must be separated, but the weapon dosen't need to be in a lock container inside the trunk. Is this incorrect?

Comment

I'm bringing my gun for self defense while I'm in my motel room. Since I can't carry it with me it will stay there or in my car. I'm not eligible to carry under LEOSA, yet there is pending legislation that might change that it won't be in effect until after I would be back.
            So anybody wanna loan me a 10 round magazine?

Comment

Be advised that if you are not a LEO, then even bringing the hi-cap magazines into the state (ie: 'transporting them') is considered a felony here in CA.
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

First off. The standard capacity mags (more than 10 rounds) are not illegal to possess. They are illegal to import, manufacture, buy, sell, or transfer. Next having the gun in the trunk constitutes a locked container. No need to have it in q separate container. You can not have any ammo in the gun, but it does not have to be separate. You can have the loaded mag right next to the gun, even in the same bag, just not in the gun. These are the exact laws. You do not need to declare the gun to any LEO. When in a hotel it is considered our residence so you can have the loaded gun in your possession.
                If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by 08duramax View Post
                  First off. The standard capacity mags (more than 10 rounds) are not illegal to possess. They are illegal to import, manufacture, buy, sell, or transfer. Next having the gun in the trunk constitutes a locked container. No need to have it in q separate container. You can not have any ammo in the gun, but it does not have to be separate. You can have the loaded mag right next to the gun, even in the same bag, just not in the gun. These are the exact laws. You do not need to declare the gun to any LEO. When in a hotel it is considered our residence so you can have the loaded gun in your possession.
                  Which is what he will get nailed for if he gets caught with them.
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by KJB View Post
                    I'm bringing my gun for self defense while I'm in my motel room. Since I can't carry it with me it will stay there or in my car. I'm not eligible to carry under LEOSA, yet there is pending legislation that might change that it won't be in effect until after I would be back.
                    So anybody wanna loan me a 10 round magazine?

Brotha' -listen to whats been said- you are a LEO, don't worry about it, if not- DO worry.CA doesn't recognize private citiizen CCWs from other states.. and a little hint here? you're out of state pltates could make you a potential victim of auto burglary. Ca ,especially some parts of Nor.Calif, and southern Cali are rough as all get up, but most of the state is reasonably decent. IF you have to stay in a hotel or area where you need EXTENDED mags, you are probably already in a world of poo..... Even in places like East Oakland,Compton and Home ave in san Diego, coppers don't need extended mags...

"we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

This may be more helpful to you:

Traveling with a firearm in CA

California Large Capacity Magazines

With limited exceptions, California law prohibits any person from manufacturing, importing into
                      the state, keeping for sale, offering or exposing for sale, giving, or lending any large capacity
                      magazine. Cal. Penal Code § 12020(a)(2), (b). A "large capacity magazine" is defined as any
                      ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds, but does not include
                      any .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, any feeding device that has been permanent ly
                      altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds, or any tubular magazine that is
                      contained in a lever* action firearm. Section 12020(c)(25). California does not ban the possession of
                      large capacity magazines.

Upon a showing of good cause, the California Department of Justice may issue permits for the
                      possession, transportation, or sale of large capacity ammunition magazines between a licensed
                      California firearms dealer and an out* of* state customer. Section 12079(a). This requirement applies
                      for only the out* of* state importation and exportation of large capacity ammunition magazines,
                      including the transportation of such magazines as necessary to complete a transfer to or from an out
                      of state source. See Cal. Code Regs. tit. 11, § 978.40.

Large capacity magazines may be manufactured for any federal, state, or local government or law
                      enforcement agency, or for use by agency employees in the discharge of their official duties,
                      whether on or off duty. Section 12020(b)(30). Large capacity magazines may also be purchased or
                      loaned for the sole use as a motion picture, television or video prop. Section 12020(b)(31), (32)(A).
                      Such magazines may also be resold to law enforcement agencies, government agencies, or the
                      military, pursuant to applicable federal regulations. Section 12020(b)(32)(C).

For additional large capacity ammunition magazine regulations, see Cal. Code Regs. tit. 11, §§
                      978.40*978.44.
                      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

It is a Glock "Blue Label", they all come with three 17 round magazines.
                        OK kind of a direction change, if I cannot acquire a 10 round magazine can I at least take my MK4 size of OC?

Comment

post deleted
                          Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Importing applies to someone moving to Cali not simply staying in Cali. Simple possession of them is not a crime. You will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by KJB View Post
                              It is a Glock "Blue Label", they all come with three 17 round magazines.
                              OK kind of a direction change, if I cannot acquire a 10 round magazine can I at least take my MK4 size of OC?
                              OC is perfectly legal.....you can buy it at any Big 5 or other sporting goods store.

If the MK4 is the 'super soaker' sized can, you might get the stink eye from more than a few people though.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4591 users online. 277 members and 4314 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X