300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laxpd

Is anyone currently going through the process with LAXPD?

I know they are testing continuously, but does anyone know how many, if any, they are looking to hire?

as far as i know they would hire a couple recruits every month or two. somtimes more sometimes less... But with LAPD hiring frozen, LAXPD wont be hiring until thats lifted since they use LAPD academy.

Comment

Thank you Adams. Any other insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated. (DOA cop?) I am in the process with them right now.

Comment

Adams is correct.

The LA City processes continue, but no calls to academy will be made until FY 2012. That includes LAPD, LAXPD, LAGSPD, and LA Port.

Comment

saw one of the last (?) current LAXPD academy graduates today- she's a lil' thing( tried t see if they gave her a GLOCK 23 becuase the regular sized 22 would look like a rifle in her hands) but she seems quite happy to have "made it". its just the way things are right now- LAPD has next to NO budget for extra officers et al,and the academy is closing down for a bit( maybe adv. officer and in service training) LAXPD is still processesing people, albeit, slowly, pending the completion of the "blue ribbon" commitee ( yet ANOTHER"keep LAXPD or go LAPD" study) hang in there guys, I do believe they wll be hiring also by early 2012- I know thats really no consolation for those who are waiting, but the days of rapid hire are pretty much over in this economy. Expect to process at least a year no matter what.stay focssed and encouraged. The Airport is expanding and so is its services- they will be building lite rail systems to suport LAX transit in and around the airport massive new terminals, and the dpet number are supposed to reach the high 500's to low 600's. by 2015 or so
          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

What is drawing you towards LAXPD in comparison to the areas other agencies?

Comment

DOAcop isn't it just a matter of time before the hostile take over? On the bright side, I would think it would open a lot of opportunities within lapd for lax guys who are looking to get out and work the streets more and increase promotional opportunities?
              Or do they just want your budget? I imagine you guys have a lot of fed OT money.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                DOAcop isn't it just a matter of time before the hostile take over? On the bright side, I would think it would open a lot of opportunities within lapd for lax guys who are looking to get out and work the streets more and increase promotional opportunities?
                Or do they just want your budget? I imagine you guys have a lot of fed OT money.
                they want the budget- which SADLY, they won't get, because LAPD doesn't often "follow the rules" in regards to playing with the FEDS. right now, the state legislation is pushing thru AB1377, and our lapd brethren( mainly the arrogant sutffed shirts in th LAPPL and mgm't) are doing everything they can to block it- funny but if it makes the governors desk its a lock, because LAPPL and LAPD mgm't were vehemently ANTI Gov. Brown( and Jerry tends to be very good at getting revenge) also, " if" LAPD took over,they wouldn't continue to deploy the manpower out at LAX,without demanding additional compensation from the FEDs and the airlines- a "NO-NO", and would sooner or later pull alot of officers out of LAX to deploy them elsewhere in the city -again violating the requirements of the FEDs.

as far as "opportunities?" really- if you were a new officer, do you think you'd want to work 3 X as hard for only 5% more in top pay ???? we have a lower retirement payout, but then again, we also PAY less into our retirement( meaning you can SAVE more money ,or use it to buy into a equally compensating investment plan), and you are vested in your retirement alot faster- 10 yrs compared to 20 yrs with LAPD, and our medical is basically the SAME.

When you look at it that LAPD is paying their probies- $46k /yr for a yr and LAX is paying a measely $49K/yr( but for only 6mos of their probation- current probie pay after that is $62K compared to LAPDs $58k after a yr) to show "support for LAPD" to city management, YET LAXPD probies are still walking with $60-70K/yr after all that, WHY would a new guy want to go to the "mean streets"- easier to lateral to other high paying suburban PDs that won't treat you like a 2nd rater "just because", like Santa Monica, Torrance, Culver City, Bev.hills, Anaheim,El Segundo,Gardena, or go LASD- which is what most newbies who leave for those supposed opportunities do! I'm old and used up, but if you came out to LAX, you'd see the news guys flow thru all the higher paying and more exciting "specialized units"- we are slated to potentially have our first female SRT/SWAT officer come on ,should she make the LASD or SBSD SWAT school- she's got 3 yrs on the job!!!! Even our oldest motors are laterals - most of the motors officers are an avg of 5+ yrs on!! ditto K-9s maybe 10 yrs.

currently there is a another WASTEFUL high dollar "blue ribbon" panel to discuss that take over issue! look into the history of it and you'll see that time and again, MILLIONS are spent, someone in LAPD-mgm't or the LAPPL,starts talking that" Airport PD sucks" crap, and in the end - it concludes with the findings that LAXPD is competent enough to do the job BY THEMSELVES and that both agencies should simply cross train and share info/resources...

We at LAXPD currently work with a great group of LAPD guys at LAX, but I think their own higher ups don't particularly care about the LAPD rank and file- they are basically "cannon fodder"- they get thrown to the rats in the streets to keep a lid on violence, but they also get served up to whatever political group or community that whines about "police brutality" far too easily.

I do think a future "take over" may happen- will it save the city money? no!. will it lower liability? no. will it bring BETTER trained personnel into the mix for Airport protection? not really .(* besides ,all the "superior trained personnel", namely, the skilled LAPD investigators from places like RHD,SWAT, bomb squad,et al are already HERE and respond anyway!) and the communication usses? they have our frequency any time they need it, and we have theirs- we monitor their area radio calls, even buy a few if we think it is in the best interests of public safety, and can relieve them from the shear overwhelming weight of work those brave guys/gals have to do daily! Reports are all on LAPD guidlines and go thru the LAPD system, so THEY KNOW everything we do, and vice versa- the only difference is when we interact with various other local agencies, as well as the state, and feds- and if its important enough, they get notified and invited to come get involved.

As for you guys interested in LAXPD? ITs not for everyone- there are alot of good things as well as a few you might not like, but thats everywhere- stay encouraged and stay up on whatever letters, test dates, or for some of you who are alot farther down the road- whatever orders your BI tells you to do. The city budget resets every July- you'll know then whats going to happen. as for the LAPD academy only? its not written in stone- officers could be sent to other area academies if the hiring process starts up in full gear soon, and LAPD isn't hiring... I would advise ANYONE thinking of hiring to be "patient" and also APPLY LAPD too! after all they're our "big blue" brothers and they still offer some good stuff for people who want to be coppers( PLUS that badge they wear is historic, and HARD to earn!!! other than NYPD, you know that badge and the name LAPD is still cool!!!).......
                Last edited by DOAcop38; 05-28-2011, 12:28 AM.
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Since you put it like that, I see no upside for lax.

Comment

actually none- everyone wants LAX- its political.TSA wants a LEO component to run things.LAPD wants to be in charge,etc.for right now LAXPD isn't going anywhere.cost effective, relatively scandal free-low liability. if AB1377 goes thru, it will be business as usual here...

Comment

This northern californian is looking to hop into the LAPD or LAXPD as my 2nd and 3rd choice. The job market is rough up here and looking at all the present job openings heading south might be an option.

Comment

Hi I had a question. When I completed my background packet, I checked both LAPD and Airport Police. I'm currently in the process, but it seems like I'm only in the LAPD process. Do they use the same academy? Do I have to commit to either one at a certain time? When I called Airport PD back in March they said they weren't currently hiring, only on an as needed basis. I applied to both anyway and I'm wondering if all the steps I'm doing in the process are for LAPD only, or for both.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeshow View Post
                          Hi I had a question. When I completed my background packet, I checked both LAPD and Airport Police. I'm currently in the process, but it seems like I'm only in the LAPD process. Do they use the same academy? Do I have to commit to either one at a certain time? When I called Airport PD back in March they said they weren't currently hiring, only on an as needed basis. I applied to both anyway and I'm wondering if all the steps I'm doing in the process are for LAPD only, or for both.
                          All backgrounds process for LAX goes through City of LA. So yes same as LAPD. When it comes to being hired, Either LAX or lapd will call you individually But in the meantime all your testing counts for both...

Comment

Originally posted by Adams23 View Post
                            All backgrounds process for LAX goes through City of LA. So yes same as LAPD. When it comes to being hired, Either LAX or lapd will call you individually But in the meantime all your testing counts for both...
                            Thanks adams. Do you happen to be LAXPD?

Comment

Originally posted by lakeshow View Post
                              Thanks adams. Do you happen to be LAXPD?
                              Yup

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4836 users online. 302 members and 4534 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X