300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Grove" is once again hiring recruits

But we aren't hiring more than a couple of guys so its a good opportunity for the best of the best types. Probably need to be a good interviewee and have a clean background. first 600 apps only.

If you are an academy grad and are still having trouble getting hired due to lack of experience, we are also hiring reserves, which is a paid position and would be a good way to get your foot in the door.

We are not looking at lay offs at all and in fact have a pretty solid agreement with the city that we are at minimums now and all expected future vacancies will be filled so our reserves can expect to be hired if they do a good job. No we dont send people to the academy to be a reserve.
    Originally posted by FJDave
    GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
    "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Thanks for the heads up! Just submitted my app. Do u know if they would send these new recruits to Orange County's academy or to Golden West?

Comment

Isn't the Grove an outdoor mall?
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

post deleted
        Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
          He's talking about Garden Grove PD. But yes, the Grove is a mall too.
          Whoops!

Sorry, I was kind of confused there.
          What is Perseverance?
          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Applied as well. 600 apps seems like a pretty good amount. Is it known exactly how many spots?

Comment

Originally posted by CPDEMT View Post
              Applied as well. 600 apps seems like a pretty good amount. Is it known exactly how many spots?
              Hopefully a decent amount. From their website it said they are 170 sworn. I'm still just learning, but for a smaller department that seems like a good amount. I would hope they've wiggle room for new hires.

Comment

Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post
                .. we aren't hiring more than a couple of guys..
                I'd guess four.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLEO77 View Post
                  From their website it said they are 170 sworn..
                  Down to the low 150's sworn.

Comment

If they going to hire four then one person will against another 150 to get the job! that is really tough!
                    What is the ideal candidate that Garden Grove PD is looking for? Bilingual? Veteran? Academy Graduated? College degree? I have all except for academy graduate because I am out of state!

Comment

Four would make it almost impossible. Does anyone know how long it will take to get a response via email if your application was accepted?

Comment

Originally posted by ten08
                        When they say bilingual aren't they refering to Korean or Vietnamese?
                        I think so. It could be Spanish too! I used to live in Garden Grove for a year and there were a lot of Vietnamese and Koreans in town. I am bilingual in Vietnamese but I think knowing Spanish is lot better since almost half of people in California speak Spanish. What do you guys think?

Comment

post deleted
                          Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Depends where you work. Where I work now, spanish. When I worked in San Jose, vietnamese and spanish equally.

Comment

Ok, a couple means two, unless you are from Kansas.

We have 159 sworn but are committed to keeping at that number which means we hire in anticipation of opening so you are out of training at about the time an officer retires. If we fire someone we will hire someone to take their place.

We will send you through the academy, as to which one, it depends on which one is running next.

Spanish Vietnamese and Korean are all good. Viet is rare. Even some Arabic languages will be useful.

As for who we are hiring, there isn't one answer for that other than, people who should be cops. What would be the best skill? I'd say be a good interviewee. Everything else is pass fail but the oral is graded. with only 2 slots right now if you are not in the top band coming out of the oral you have wasted your time.

Study the city and I don't mean just regurgitate what the first page of our web page says. last time I was on orals I was ready to vomit over how many times an applicant recited what specialties we have and the number of officers. One guy says we have a very green city...why? Because the parking lot he parked in was in a park. He didn't take the time to learn more about out city then what he saw in the parking lot.

Know our cultural make up, know how we do community policing, and no it is not just as simple as sending me a PM. Do your own work.

we publish our annual report on he web, you should read every single page, it is linked on our web site somewhere.

Bottom line is this, if you only want to be a cop because nobody else is hiring then we have as little use for you as we always have.
                              Last edited by Garbage Man; 04-17-2011, 03:55 PM.
                              Originally posted by FJDave
                              GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                              "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2912 users online. 144 members and 2768 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X