Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AB46 what will happen to Vernon's cops?

With Perez' new bill passed through the first hurdel, what will become of the men and women of Vernon's Police Department?

Those that can pass the hiring process for LASD would probably have to learn how to say 'watch the gates, gates are closing'!

If that city gets dissolved, then all of the employees will be gone. That area would then probably end up as part of the unincorporated area of LA County.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

ELA had better start looking for a new home....that station is shrinking faster than my 2 year old Class A shirts....they are really out growing it FAST lately.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Smurfette
      Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
      Originally posted by DAL
      You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

That area probably won't be unincorporated for long though The three surrounding cities supporting dissolution (Los Angeles, Huntington Park and Maywood) will probably all get a piece. Or who ever has more weight at LAFCO.

Comment

It would be interesting to see what happened with annexation. I think that the residents of the area to be annexed (Vernon) would have to vote in favor. I doubt that they would want to be part of any of the cities mentioned. The best fit would probably be Commerce, which also is very business friendly.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
            It would be interesting to see what happened with annexation. I think that the residents of the area to be annexed (Vernon) would have to vote in favor. I doubt that they would want to be part of any of the cities mentioned. The best fit would probably be Commerce, which also is very business friendly.
            My money us ion the "800 lb gorilla in the room"- city of L.A. ( of "sh*tty of Lost angels ,if you prefer) The money and the WILL to grab the place up- Vernon cops will get an offer they can't refuse with LAPD( which will probably dump a good 3rd to half of them "just cause")- don't know about unincorporated - too much economic plumb to let the city float along by itself litghtly represented...
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

There are virtually no residents in the City of Vernon except for a few city employees in rental homes.

I agree with DOA. This is a huge money grab. The county might fight to keep it unincorp, but that's probably a losing battle.

Comment

I feel really bad for my buddy at Vernon PD, he isn't even off probation yet. I think he is going to be jobless if this all goes down.

Comment

There is nothing "just" about cops loosing their jobs because of Conquestadors steaking a claim in a city that has been in exhistance for over 100 years. In these times life happens and economic problems happen to the best of us. So to say... you have been a good cop for 15,20,25 years now your not qualified to be a cop for "just cause".... sounds more like "just because" to me.

Comment

Each one of those city employees represents a family so. 200 people 400 tp 600 people that will be hurt by this theft. I have 6 kids consisting of two sets of multiples and a single. The oldest (twins) will be going into the first grade. I guess they are all going to be SOL.... nice

Comment

The small number of residents does not affect the right to vote. Huntington Beach is having trouble annexing Sunset Beach. See http://www.scpr.org/news/2011/01/19/...each-put-hold/

Vernon is all about tax breaks and low service costs for business. All LA will offer is more taxation and high service costs, as with DWP. (Vernon has its own utilities.) The businesses in Vernon are sure to do everything they can to fight annexation to LA, and I have doubts about whether the Vernon employees who reside in Vernon will want to be annexed by LA. Who would?
                      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

The small number of residents does not affect the right to vote. Huntington Beach is having trouble annexing Sunset Beach. See http://www.scpr.org/news/2011/01/19/...each-put-hold/

Vernon is all about tax breaks and low service costs for business. All LA will offer is more taxation and high service costs, as with DWP. (Vernon has its own utilities.) The businesses in Vernon are sure to do everything they can to fight annexation to LA, and I have doubts about whether the Vernon employees who reside in Vernon will want to be annexed by LA. Who would?
                        Most areas in the state have been annexed without a vote of the people who live there. Yes it can be fought, but it's tough. It's more up to LAFCO than a vote.

Additionally if these few people protested, then they can be left in a county island while the rest of the city is annexed... I suspect it will be divided up between the neighboring cities. No one is going to get the whole thing.

The labor groups are fighting this tooth and nail though as many of the businesses in the city are union and they fear that could change.

Comment

Originally posted by code03kid View Post
                          There is nothing "just" about cops loosing their jobs because of Conquestadors steaking a claim in a city that has been in exhistance for over 100 years. In these times life happens and economic problems happen to the best of us. So to say... you have been a good cop for 15,20,25 years now your not qualified to be a cop for "just cause".... sounds more like "just because" to me.
                          thats what I meant." as in " just 'cause"...lets hope for the best for all involved.
                          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Sorry I had taken that out of context.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
                              That area probably won't be unincorporated for long though The three surrounding cities supporting dissolution (Los Angeles, Huntington Park and Maywood) will probably all get a piece. Or who ever has more weight at LAFCO.

The BOS would have to agree to letting a city annex it though, i believe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4216 users online. 223 members and 3993 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X