Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Veteran LAPD Motor Officers awarded $2M in ticket quota suit...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Shaft
    replied
    Originally posted by Coronth View Post
    Or the medical / IOD when a motor goes down on the way to and from.
    ^ This

Leave a comment:

• Coronth
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackavar
    Biggest scam in law enforcement going right now. There is NO reason why motors should take home their rides. it costs the dept money in gas and wear/tear. Not to mention OT when the motor stops someone on the way in/out from work.
    Or the medical / IOD when a motor goes down on the way to and from.

Leave a comment:

• LA Copper
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackavar
    Biggest scam in law enforcement going right now. There is NO reason why motors should take home their rides. it costs the dept money in gas and wear/tear. Not to mention OT when the motor stops someone on the way in/out from work.
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• Bully
    replied
    Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
    And this is what Compstat has created.... We have the same problem with our department; this is why our captains push for more numbers.
    Don't get me started on Compstat. Our SET team spends more time inputting numbers in a computer than inputting thugs in jail. We're told to be consistent. Write around 10 a day just don't do 10 today and 20 tomorrow. One of our motors only cites 12500's and 14601's. He tows on all stops. Everyone with a DL gets a warning. He was told to knock it off.

Leave a comment:

• John Shaft
    replied
    Originally posted by Se7en View Post
    I understand the quota's being illegal, what I don't understand is why the Captain just didn't approach it in another way. You can still have "goals" that are met daily without asking for a specific number. Not taking up for the captain, just don't understand why common sense wasn't used when we all know the stigma attached with quota's and the legality.
    Because they can get away with it, as this Capt has been able to do for 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• Se7en
    replied
    They were specifically told to write at least 18 tickets a day. The problem is the captain and she is still a problem at her new assignment in another traffic division. I spoke with some motors last week, more lawsuits are coming and the city will probably settle them to avoid having another PR disaster like this.
    I understand the quota's being illegal, what I don't understand is why the Captain just didn't approach it in another way. You can still have "goals" that are met daily without asking for a specific number. Not taking up for the captain, just don't understand why common sense wasn't used when we all know the stigma attached with quota's and the legality.

Leave a comment:

• SCV-Sop
    replied
    That’s why one should manage productivity like this implicitly and not explicitly.

Leave a comment:

• LA Copper
    replied
    Originally posted by SHU View Post
    This very issue is playing out now within the NYPD. One cop wore a wire to get the CO on tape threatening the troops with disciplinary action if their numbers i.e. arrests and summons per month were not met. The CO of Brooklyn North found out about the tapes and broke into the cops house and had him committed to a psych ward to discredit him. The officer, Adrian Schoolcraft, is now is suing the city for 50 million. The difference in Brooklyn is the feds are interested and people are going to go to jail from the fallout over the quotas and associated cover ups and kidnapping. Hours and hours of tape from musters if one is interested.
    And this is what Compstat has created.... We have the same problem with our department; this is why our captains push for more numbers.

Leave a comment:

• WPD954
    replied
    Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
    I suspected this was the case. A disaster captain can cause a department more in liability issues than a bad OIS.
    yep

Leave a comment:

• SHU
    replied
    This very issue is playing out now within the NYPD. One cop wore a wire to get the CO on tape threatening the troops with disciplinary action if their numbers i.e. arrests and summons per month were not met. The CO of Brooklyn North found out about the tapes and broke into the cops house and had him committed to a psych ward to discredit him. The officer, Adrian Schoolcraft, is now is suing the city for 50 million. The difference in Brooklyn is the feds are interested and people are going to go to jail from the fallout over the quotas and associated cover ups and kidnapping. Hours and hours of tape from musters if one is interested.

http://www.villagevoice.com/related/...n+Schoolcraft/

Leave a comment:

• John Shaft
    replied
    They were specifically told to write at least 18 tickets a day. The problem is the captain and she is still a problem at her new assignment in another traffic division. I spoke with some motors last week, more lawsuits are coming and the city will probably settle them to avoid having another PR disaster like this.
    She was actually sent to Gang Homicide in South Bureau. Good luck to those guys, they are gonna need it.

Leave a comment:

• John Shaft
    replied
    Originally posted by Se7en View Post
    I read the article... maybe you need to read my post again. No one is saying to tell them "write 10 tickets a day" but if they're not doing the acceptable activity then address it. If they don't like that, then put them on patrol. That's like someone being on the warrant unit and not wanting to serve warrants... or gang unit and not wanting to hook bangers.
    No one said they weren't doing the "acceptable activity", but if you are given a quota which is illegal and for whatever reason you are not able to always meet that quota. Then you are given a negative evaluation or comment card based on not meeting an illegal quota, that is a violation of the veh code. What does that have to do with the examples you gave. I know the guys involved and there is a lot more to it than just failing or refusing to meet a quota. Although they won that large sum, these guys went through almost 5 years of hell. As you can see the jury heard enough to award these guys that much money and send a message to the city that they screwed up.This is just one in a few lawsuits pending against that Capt. After this the city will probably just try to settle all of those suits and sweep this under the rug.

Leave a comment:

• Coronth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Se7en
    replied
    Originally posted by willowdared View Post
    You may need to re-read the story. If you choose to measure activity using illegal means you are breaking the law. If you are punitive towards someone who won't break the law to pick up their activity you are breaking the law. If you retaliate against someone who reports your policies are breaking the law...you are breaking the law.
    I read the article... maybe you need to read my post again. No one is saying to tell them "write 10 tickets a day" but if they're not doing the acceptable activity then address it. If they don't like that, then put them on patrol. That's like someone being on the warrant unit and not wanting to serve warrants... or gang unit and not wanting to hook bangers.

Leave a comment:

• LA Copper
    replied
    Originally posted by Fuzz View Post
    Ticket count is not a good measure of a motor/traffic officers productivity. There were times when my ticket count would fluctuate and I would write half as many as normal. That was because I was working fatals, writing grants, working a motor academy, etc. A good supervisor should know what their officers are doing and adjust performance reviews accordingly. If I have nothing going on I should be writing tickets....if I am busy doing other job related duties then I cant be out writing tickets.
    Unfortunately, that kind of stuff doesn't apply here. Here, pretty much the only thing motors do is write tickets and arrest deuces. They don't investigate traffic collisions, we have other officers who do that. They also don't write grants, we have admin guys doing that kind of stuff.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5637 users online. 349 members and 5288 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X