300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San diego PD...????

So what is the story with SDPD these days??? still getting cutbacks?? Layoffs??? Or are things starting to get better??? I havent heard much in a bit!!!!

No change. No layoffs. No recruiting. Maybe 2012... but I doubt that. Our cars are falling apart. They are going to decimate the pension for new hires. Don't ever bother here. Plenty of other departments out there.

Comment

Sdpd

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
      No change. No layoffs. No recruiting. Maybe 2012... but I doubt that. Our cars are falling apart. They are going to decimate the pension for new hires. Don't ever bother here. Plenty of other departments out there.
      Are they still talking about layoffs??? Hows morale these days???

Comment

I see that San Diego Police Department is testing on April and May, any information how many are they hiring or are they just giving out written test. Thanks

Comment

I wanted to apply here until I herd about the layoffs and no recruiting a while ago.

Comment

Not entirely good info. Waiting on final word to hire 25 for the July academy, plus 4 laterals. Testing in April.

Yes, our department has it's issues, as do most right now. We already pay our half of the retirement contribution, so cant get any more out of us. Most other departments are talking about having officers pay larger portion also. Likely most if not all departments will go that way in the near future.

The grass is not always greener. Every agency will have it's pro's and con's. Do your homework and make sure the agencies you apply at have con's you can live with.

We do not have good support from our politicians here - that is the primary problem right now. If Demaio gets elected next year, things will definately get worse as he has made it clear he believes fire and police shouldnt get paid much and dont deserve anything but 401K retirements.

SDPD has a lot to offer and is a great department - and worth applying at.

Comment

They just opened testing, April 22 and 23; May 20 and 21 I think. It's on a first come first served basis though. A buddy of mine on SDPD originally said he heard rumors that SDPD wouldn't be hiring til either the end of 2011 or in 2012, then a few days later the SDPD website posted these two test dates for the whole year.

Comment

Talked to recruiter yesterday. Said they will be hiring but not a ton. Get there early!

Comment

Originally posted by nicksfamily View Post
                  Talked to recruiter yesterday. Said they will be hiring but not a ton. Get there early!
                  Yea first come first served......im spending the night down there.

Comment

Originally posted by KFish View Post
                    Yes, our department has it's issues, as do most right now. We already pay our half of the retirement contribution, so cant get any more out of us. Most other departments are talking about having officers pay larger portion also. Likely most if not all departments will go that way in the near future.
                    Last edited by nobodyjr; 06-23-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

And remember if they do offer you a job... they might cut you before you are hired, like last year when they sent people home during orientation.

WOW that stinks, I feel for them. imagiane if you moved for the job?? WOW
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Do you have to sign a contract to stay for X amount of years to offset training costs for the city?
                        Timelines:

CBPO
                        App: 2/12/09
                        Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                        Written: 2/20/09
                        NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                        TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                        App: 5/5/09
                        Geo: San Diego
                        Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                        NOR: 7/20/09
                        Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                        TO: 10/6/09
                        Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                        Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                        Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                        App: 8/17/10
                        Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                        TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

We used to have a great department. It's a shell of it's former self. Yeah every where is having financial problems.. but San Diego City has problems in the GOOD times. The department is devolving into a reactive force that chasing mostly BS calls. More and more officers are doing jobs that used to be nonsworn jobs. Patrol used to be fun, since they got rid of PSO's patrol sucks with paper calls stacking for officers. OT is almost non existent safe for some court and special events.

NO department has as nearly a high retirement contribution as SDPD... between 14%-19% roughly. The top is 9% in calpers agencies. Medical benefits are a joke... and most importantly we lost 3 at 50 retirement.

There are good things about SDPD... we get to buy our own rifles and don't need a supervisor to approve code 3. That's neat. whoohoo.

You can go into HR and see two big binders of backgrounds already competed for recruits. And remember if they do offer you a job... they might cut you before you are hired, like last year when they sent people home during orientation.

There are still departments out there with 3 at 50. That's where highly qualified applicants are applying. The City of San Diego is ten years away from even regaining where it was ten years ago.
                          That's horrible and sad that it is like that. On the positive side besides the rifle thing, I have heard that they don't care about what sidearm you carry and that you can buy you own shotgun as well. If it's that bad at SDPD, I wod think that it would at least be a good stepping stone for laterling to another angency after a couple years.

Comment

We used to have a great department. It's a shell of it's former self. Yeah every where is having financial problems.. but San Diego City has problems in the GOOD times. The department is devolving into a reactive force that chasing mostly BS calls. More and more officers are doing jobs that used to be nonsworn jobs. Patrol used to be fun, since they got rid of PSO's patrol sucks with paper calls stacking for officers. OT is almost non existent safe for some court and special events.

NO department has as nearly a high retirement contribution as SDPD... between 14%-19% roughly. The top is 9% in calpers agencies. Medical benefits are a joke... and most importantly we lost 3 at 50 retirement.

There are good things about SDPD... we get to buy our own rifles and don't need a supervisor to approve code 3. That's neat. whoohoo.

You can go into HR and see two big binders of backgrounds already competed for recruits. And remember if they do offer you a job... they might cut you before you are hired, like last year when they sent people home during orientation.

There are still departments out there with 3 at 50. That's where highly qualified applicants are applying. The City of San Diego is ten years away from even regaining where it was ten years ago.

WOW, if things are this bad, why are you still working there?

Retirement contributions start at 12.5% and go up from there depending on your age. This is higher than most other departments, at least for now. We have 3% at 55 retirement - many departments have already gone to this and many more will follow. Yes, there are departments that still offer 3% at 50.

AS I stated, the department has it's issues right now, as do many others. But one thing is for sure, there are many qualified applicants applying here. Saying there arent any is very insulting to the MANY outstanding officers that were hired with the department the past couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by KFish View Post
                              WOW, if things are this bad, why are you still working there?
                              Last edited by nobodyjr; 06-23-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5705 users online. 335 members and 5370 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X