300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applicant ride along

Afternoon folks. I have an interview on Monday with a local department. I schedule a ride along for this evening. What is the appropriate attire as an applicant? Every ride along I have been on before (as explorer and jailer) I was in uniform.
    What are some questions I should be asking?
    I figure I will ask about morale, support of admin, crime rate, population, equipment, mindset of dept, etc. But if I'm missing any major questions, please help me. Thanks!

This evening? I think its too late now, you are proably already there. I hope you wore a suit.

I hope you didnt ask if he has killed anybody.

I hope you didnt asl how to get the shotgun out or what type of gun he carries.

I hope you did ask intelligent questions about the department such as what he feels the departments strengths are and what he likes about working there.
    Originally posted by FJDave
    GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
    "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

Thanks GB. I'm leaving in 15 mins. Ride is at 1900.

So a full suit is appropriate? Not just business casual? I hope someone responds to this before I take off. Thanks again.

Comment

I think a suit might be too much, you could possibly be going through nasty houses and mud.

Comment

I'd role business casual. Although the odds of you running around and getting dirty are slim, you never know. Just ask honest intelligent questions and you will be fine. It should be a 2 way thing with you taking an objective look at the department and deciding if it might be right for you.

Comment

Of the many observers I had over the years, only one wore a suit, and he was the presiding judge of the local court that came directly from the courthouse..

I say slacks, nice long sleeve shirt.. if its tonight its gonna be cold...take a decent coat or sweater...
            Retired LASD

Comment

Thank you all again. I went with black slacks, gry dress shirt, and an alfani jacket because it will be pretty dang cold tonight. It's only 1700 and it's already 55*.

Any other suggestions for questions. Ive been on probably 40+ ride alongs in my life so I'm not worried about excitement and rolling code3 everywhere. I do, however, want to gain an insight into the department and prepare for my oral board on Monday.

Comment

Remember there is a difference between going on a ride along and being an applicant going on a ride along. Looking OK and being an OK candidate isn't enough in this economy. If you arent the applicant who stands out above all the others, you will remain a guy going on ride along instead if a guy who has ride alongs going with him.
                Originally posted by FJDave
                GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

I appreciate all the advice guys. Although I do agree with you for certain events Garbage Man, it was still more appropriate to wear business casual last night. The city I rode with is along the beach and we hiked out on the beach/climbed rocks after closing to make sure there was no one left in the state park.

The weather was also very unexpected. It hailed quite a bit and poured rain most of the night. Even though it wasn't too active because of the weather, I'm very excited for the opportunity to work for this department.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5451 users online. 303 members and 5148 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X