300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Carry Exhibitions Backfiring

City Council asks for review of a proposed ban on the 'open carry' of handguns on city property

April 6, 2011 | 2:26 pm

The Los Angeles City Council on Wednesday asked city lawyers to review a proposed ban on the "open carry" of handguns on city property -- from offices to parks and harbors.

Earlier this year, in the wake of January's shooting rampage in Arizona, City Councilman Eric Garcetti proposed a ban that would prohibit "open carry" guns anywhere within city limits. But the city attorney's office, which had been asked to report on the feasibility and legality of a citywide ban, recommended a ban on city property only.

The council on Wednesday also voted to direct its lobbyists to press the Legislature to pass a bill that would ban open-carry statewide. California law allows residents to carry unloaded handguns in a visible place, such as a holster.

A bill sponsored by Assemblyman Anthony Portantino (D-La Cañada Flintridge) would reverse that law and prohibit civilians from carrying exposed handguns in any public place. Violators could face up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Suzanne Verge, the president of the Los Angeles chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said that she was hopeful that the state bill would be passed, and did not mind that the council had scaled back its previous proposal for a citywide ban.

"I'm optimistic that we'll get the open-carry ban passed at the state level, so I'm not disappointed," Verge said.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...-angeles-.html
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

It's a good thing that people bent on committing felonies with their guns will be dissuaded by a law against carrying their gun openly.
    Originally Posted by Law100
    Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

Originally posted by pappabacon View Post
      It's a good thing that people bent on committing felonies with their guns will be dissuaded by a law against carrying their unloaded gun openly.
      Fixed.......
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Smurfette
      Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
      Originally posted by DAL
      You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Banning unloaded open carry will make a very strong case for CA to become "shall issue" for CCW's. I find it hilarious they keep pursuing this course of action which could result in far more concealed guns in public.

Comment

I think im going to apply for a ccw. I had all the paperwork but never filled it out. plus it was expensive.. I got the cashflow now
          Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

More guns laws and more illegals driving without licenses. I'm glad I'm not in LA.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowdrop View Post
              Banning unloaded open carry will make a very strong case for CA to become "shall issue" for CCW's. I find it hilarious they keep pursuing this course of action which could result in far more concealed guns in public.
              I don't know how yu can draw that inference, given that virtually no one carries a weapon openly now.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
                More guns laws and more illegals driving without licenses. I'm glad I'm not in LA.
                There are lots of reasons to prefer San Diego to Los Angeles.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossi357
                  Any carry laws by the City would be pre-empted by state law. This is a complete waste of time.
                  Maybe, but they are trying to get a law passed by the state legislature. They nearly succeeded last year.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    [B]Earlier this year, in the wake of January's shooting rampage in Arizona, City Councilman Eric Garcetti proposed a ban that would prohibit "open carry" guns anywhere within city limits.
                    What a bass-ackwards line of thinking. The Arizona tragedy is a perfect example of why unloaded open carry is even more important. Imagine how quickly this dog would have been put down if several people in that crowd were armed.
                    "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossi357
                      Any carry laws by the City would be pre-empted by state law. This is a complete waste of time.
                      It isn't so cut and dry. The city would not waste time and money on banning UOC on city property if the ban would be such an obvious failure. As bad of an idea it is, I think that the ban would work because it has been restricted to city property, opposed to a city-wide ban.
                      "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
                        What a bass-ackwards line of thinking. The Arizona tragedy is a perfect example of why unloaded open carry is even more important. Imagine how quickly this dog would have been put down if several people in that crowd were armed.
                        In Arizona, open, loaded carry and concealed carry were legal, no permit required. Nonetheless, few people carry, and most who do are not prepared to act.

Comment

IE, so based on the response to your post, can you explain WHY no-one put down the suspect?
                          Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

The posted thread has nothing to do with open carry, except for what constitutes a loaded weapon. And it has no precedential value.
                            Last edited by DAL; 04-07-2011, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                              IE, so based on the response to your post, can you explain WHY no-one put down the suspect?
                              Can you explain why President William McKinley was assassinated?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7150 users online. 371 members and 6779 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X