Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Store shootout: Burglary suspect killed by security guard (retired deputy)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Store shootout: Burglary suspect killed by security guard (retired deputy)

Associated Press
    Posted: 04/04/2011 03:33:59 PM PDT

SAN DIEGO -- A private security guard fatally shot a man carrying out a smash-and-grab burglary at a San Diego County Apple (AAPL) store early Monday, a common tactic in which thieves break the windows and grab laptops, iPads, iPhones and other hot-ticket items and run, police said.

Chula Vista Police Chief David Bejarano said the man and two others drove to the store just before 7 a.m. A woman stayed in the car while the two men smashed the store's window and grabbed items when the guard confronted them, he said.

The security guard, a former San Diego County sheriff's deputy, told police one of the men had pulled a gun on him before the guard opened fire, Bejarano said.

The suspects fled in their vehicle during the shootout and crashed into a light pole, about 20 yards away. The driver died from a gunshot wound to the head, Bejarano said

The two other suspects ran away on foot and were found about an hour later hiding in a courtyard area of an apartment complex, Bejarano said. Authorities had not released their names yet and were checking for prior records, he said.

Police found a gun in the vehicle and another handgun on the male suspect, who was arrested after the crash.

Apple stores from Pittsburg to Chula Vista have been hit by the smash-and-grab burglaries.
    Apple stores in San Diego and Los Angeles counties have hired private security guards after losing thousands of dollars in merchandise, police said.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

That's my local mall. I was driving by the other day and wondering how that Apple store (or anything for that matter in that mall) can get knocked over so much... the guards have that place on lock down... and every other car in this area is a BP truck. Guess I know now that it can't. Good work by that guard. Apple store robberies/burgs are pretty common down here.

Comment

Glad the security guard wasn't injured. I'm waiting to hear the news story on this. I'll bet the deceased was such a nice guy, grew up in a bad home and was just turning his life around. They'll post a photo from his 6th grade class photo and talk about how much potential he had.

Sometimes the watching the evening news makes me sick.

Good work on the part of the security guard!
      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

California has a law that while in the commission of a felony someone dies the criminal is on the hook for the death, even if it's their partner in crime. So now those 2 will be charged for the drivers death as well as the burglary.
        GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
          California has a law that while in the commission of a felony someone dies the criminal is on the hook for the death, even if it's their partner in crime. So now those 2 will be charged for the drivers death as well as the burglary.
          Excellent. I look forward to reading about the two scumbags being locked up for a very long time.
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

post deleted
            Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I'm glad the retired deputy was not injured. Excellent, job well done.

Comment

April 4, 2011 | 8:06 pm

The security guard who fatally shot a burglary suspect at a Chula Vista mall early Monday morning is a 58-year-old retired police officer working for a Culver City-based security firm, police said.

Security guard Jose Jimenez confronted two suspects about 6:40 a.m. who had just broken the window at the closed Otay Ranch Town Center, intent on a "smash and grab" burglary at the Apple store, police said.

One suspect fired at Jimenez, who returned fire, police said. A gun battle continued outside the store as the two suspects, and a woman waiting for them in a car outside the store, sought to flee in a silver, two-door Acura.

The car smashed into a light post in the mall parking lot. The driver, who had been shot in the head, was later pronounced dead at the scene by the county medical examiner.

The two other suspects fled on foot and were arrested after a search by the Chula Vista police, Border Patrol, California Highway Patrol and a Sheriff's Department helicopter.

The two were identified as Melissa Ortiz, 21, and John Chendra, 24. They were arrested on suspicion of commercial burglary and conspiracy.

The dead man was not identified. The security guard was uninjured.

Comment

I guess thats why Apple pays the extra coin for off duty and retired cops.
                  Originally posted by FJDave
                  GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                  "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

John Chendra was also armed and I heard on parole.
                    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                      Glad the security guard wasn't injured. I'm waiting to hear the news story on this. I'll bet the deceased was such a nice guy, grew up in a bad home and was just turning his life around. They'll post a photo from his 6th grade class photo and talk about how much potential he had.

Sometimes the watching the evening news makes me sick.

Good work on the part of the security guard!
                      The deceased was a documented gang member and parolee with an extensive criminal record.

Comment

Originally posted by FedUp13 View Post
                        The deceased was a documented gang member and parolee with an extensive criminal record.
                        Vicious lies and rumors.....he was an honor student, and frequently volunteered his time at the local kitten orphanage....
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                          John Chendra was also armed and I heard on parole.
                          He's a bad dude. I got him on the chop shop beef he has court on from 2008.

Comment

One thing that surprises me is that Apple hired armed security. Apple strikes me as a company that would be very liberal and anti-gun.

Comment

If I remember correctly.. a freight truck was stolen in LA many months ago that was full if Apple equipment

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6299 users online. 341 members and 5958 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X