300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does every county do this?

Here in the OC if we arrest someone who needs medical attention at all, even if its just for high blood pressure, or if they are at all 5150, we have to guard them ourselves for 48 hours in the hospital before the SO will take custody of them. Is that standard in all counties cuz I think its just a way to reduce civil liabiltiy since most in custody deaths occur within the first 48 hours.
    Originally posted by FJDave
    GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
    "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

We take them to the doc, get an okay to book and transport to IRC if needed. Twin Towers has the 4th largest hospital in LA county inside the jail. Plus for critical cases they get sent to the jail ward at County USC. If it's something they can be cited for then they get cited and released instead of shipped downtown. IF for some reason the body is to criticial then the arresting agency is responsible for sitting on the body until they are okayed to transfer. If there is a problem we provide a hotline that allows our doctors to talk to the hospital doctors to expedite the transfer.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

In San Bernardino County, if the arrestee is a jail check, the arresting agency is responsible for sitting on the body until the arrestee is clear to be booked in. If the arrestee needs to be admitted to the hospital, then the arresting agency is responsible for sitting on the body until the body is admitted and has a room. Then the body is transfered to the county jail ward, and an absentee booking is processed. If the arrestee is a 5150 (generally this is done for a cite release since jails will accept 5150s with felony charges as long as they are medically cleared (vitals good), then the arresting agency will transfer the arrestee to Behavioral Health as a 5150,and cite them out there. Once the arrestee is accepted into Behavioral Health, the arresting officer is clear.

The Sheriff's Department used to provide service of sitting on the arrestee before they are cleared by the jail for booking, but these became very costly for the department, of which we were not reimbursed for by the arresting agencies. The arresting agency would be responsible for the medical bll of the arrestee if they don't have insurance, rather than the county. There is no minimum or maximum wait of 48 hours on the body...if the body takes five days to get a room, then the arresting agency has to guard the body for five days unless they decide to long form him.
      "Think about the consequences before you mess with a Deputy Sheriff."

Comment

Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post
        Here in the OC if we arrest someone who needs medical attention at all, even if its just for high blood pressure, or if they are at all 5150, we have to guard them ourselves for 48 hours in the hospital before the SO will take custody of them. Is that standard in all counties cuz I think its just a way to reduce civil liabiltiy since most in custody deaths occur within the first 48 hours.
        Question for clarification: They have to be in the hospital no matter what for 48 hours? What if the hospital only needs a few hours to solve their problem? They have to stay anyways?... or are you saying that if someone is there that long then the Sheriff comes and guards them?

In San Diego county if someone is rejected from county jail for medical we take them for the jail check and bring them right back. Most are a few hours, we get a doctors note and bring them back. If they are admitted to the hospital we guard them until they are cleared or arraigned... which ever is first. After arraignment the SO takes over. That is very rare.

San bernardino PD used to hire some wackenhut guards on weekends to sit on prisoners at hospitals. That's the best idea. In reality I think the sheriff should deal with it.

Comment

This thread largely covers the same ground as http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...light=hospital
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

You guard them until they are booked.
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

If the suspect is rejected by the jail, the arresting agency takes him to the E.R. for clearance. If he winds up being admitted to the hospital, the arresting agency has the option of citing him out or releasing per 849(b) and requesting a warrant sometime down the road, or booking him in absentia. If booked in absentia, the jail has to provide security on the prisoner. I've never seen the arresting agency guarding a prisoner who has been admitted to the hospital, only pre-booking arrestees getting cleared at the E.R.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Maricopa County in Phoenix do that too. The hold is requested by a medical provider or mental health provider. It is no more than 24 hours hold and most of the times those people are release to a third party which usually are a local mental health institutions.
                Go wildcats!

Comment

In Riverside County, if they're 5150, they go straight to the nut house and you're done. If they're gonna get booked and need a medical clearance, the local hospital will knock it out pretty quickly. If it's something where the guy needs an extended hospital stay, the county hospital has a jail ward. Not a biggie.
                  God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

The problem with taking them for 5150 is that the mental hospital may release them without notifying you, and charges won't be filed.
                    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

There is a section on the standard (state-issued) 5150 admission form to check the box advising that criminal charges will be file and that the arresting agency is to be notified prior to release. I know that our local mental health unit - oops, behavioral health unit, gotta be very PC - is good about calling us prior to releasing a cleared 5150 who needs to go to the graybar.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

We have to guard until the subject charged. The SO then arranges for a bedside arraignment and takes over custody. I've never had to deal with on of those.

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                        The problem with taking them for 5150 is that the mental hospital may release them without notifying you, and charges won't be filed.
                        I've found this to be a common mis-conception in areas where I have worked. There is nothing that precludes charges from being filed against somebody just because they were 5150'd in conjunction with an investigation. An insanity defense takes a lot more than being a danger to self or others due to a mental condition.
                        If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3072 users online. 198 members and 2874 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X