300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Brown declares budget talks dead

Gov. Jerry Brown announced this afternoon he halted negotiations with legislative Republicans over a deal to place taxes on the ballot to help resolve California's remaining $15.4 billion deficit.

A June election appears to be off the table entirely. Brown is no longer pursuing a two-thirds vote for a June tax election, while Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, told reporters he will not pursue a majority-vote option, either.

"Yesterday, I stopped the discussions that I had been conducting with various members of the Republican party regarding our state's massive deficit," Brown said in a statement this afternoon. "The budget plan that I put forth is balanced between deep cuts and extensions of currently existing taxes and I believe it is in the best interest of California. Under our constitution, however, two Republicans from the Assembly and two from the Senate must agree before this matter can be put to the people."

"Each and every Republican legislator I've spoken to believes that voters should not have this right to vote unless I agree to an ever changing list of collateral demands," the Democratic governor added.

Senate Republicans on Friday released a list of major policy changes they wanted as a condition of voting for Brown's budget proposals. The move was widely seen as disruptive to talks, but the governor had reached out to three Senate Republicans this weekend in hopes of salvaging a deal before deciding to call off talks.

One of the three, Sen. Anthony Cannella, R-Ceres, blamed trial lawyers, unions and "other stakeholders" for being unwilling to negotiate on pension cuts, a long-term cap on spending and regulatory changes.

"As a result of these groups' refusal to challenge the status quo, it has become clear the governor and legislative Democrats are not in a position to work with us to pass the measures necessary to move California forward," Cannella said in a statement. "Thus, I do not foresee a path to compromise."

Brown did not specify what he would do next.

"Much is at stake, and in the coming weeks I will focus my efforts on speaking directly to Californians and coming up with honest and real solutions to our budget crisis," he said.

Brown is considering alternative ways to put tax extensions on the ballot, possibly by gathering signatures for a November ballot initiative. He suggested in his release that he may be skeptical of the majority-vote approach, saying the Constitution requires a two-thirds majority.

The governor does not need to call an election to approve higher taxes; he can do so with a two-thirds vote of the Legislature. But he promised voters last year he would seek their opinion before seeking more taxes.

The absence of a June election casts doubt on whether state leaders can resolve the budget before the next fiscal year starts in July. Democrats did not indicate how they would attempt to do so.

"They've done a pretty good job of running out the clock here," Steinberg said, referring to legislative Republicans.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalert...#ixzz1I2JK07jU
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Oh well, such is politics! You can never depend on those elected officials, irrespective of which party they are affiliated with. I think the Gov. is going to exert his authority and make a decision in favor of the people, not the legislature.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I have no idea what Jerry will do. I think we will be seeing a lot of IOUs, and money withheld from local governments.

Comment

post deleted
        Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Organized labor mulling its own ballot measure on taxes

The California Labor Federation is considering a ballot initiative on taxes after budget talks between Gov. Jerry Brown and Republican lawmakers broke down this afternoon.

Art Pulaski, the federation's executive secretary-treasurer, said his organization has made no decision on an initiative but that, "We're certainly not going to sit back and watch the state fall apart."

He said, "We are going to move forward."

A voter initiative is one alternative Brown is considering to put tax extensions on a ballot without Republican support in the Legislature. The Democratic governor has not said how he might proceed.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalert...#ixzz1I34Ph0z2

Comment

The Republican party is an embarrassment and it's no wonder why any moderate conservative voters are leaving it in droves. The same party that I so strenuously supported last year (when they correctly argued that the electorate has the right to define marriage) is now denying the citizens of this state the right to choose how much they'll pay in taxes??? Why not prohibit those making less than $1,000,000.00 per year from being able to cast a ballot at all? It's disgusting.
            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
              The Republican party is an embarrassment and it's no wonder why any moderate conservative voters are leaving it in droves....It's disgusting.
              It's funny you say that because the words "Liberal" and "Democrat" disgust me. Can you present any evidence that moderate conservatives are leaving the Republican party in droves? I think you find the exact opposite.
              "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                The Republican party is an embarrassment and it's no wonder why any moderate conservative voters are leaving it in droves. The same party that I so strenuously supported last year (when they correctly argued that the electorate has the right to define marriage) is now denying the citizens of this state the right to choose how much they'll pay in taxes??? Why not prohibit those making less than $1,000,000.00 per year from being able to cast a ballot at all? It's disgusting.
                I have worked for the CA GOP and can tell you that the vast majority of Reps in CA are moderately conservative when compared to the national spectrum of "conservatives." I tend to agree with IE Copper that most Reps in CA, while disappointed with their own party's lack of influence in Sacramento, I seriously doubt that they are "leaving in droves." They have no viable alternative to the CA GOP, are they going to vote Democrat?

Comment

I don't think people grasp the concept of "cuts". They see the governor speaking about them and how he's going to bring the budget back on track, and the response is 'great" but when it comes down to actually cutting items people want to complain "no no no we need that, and that and that". Sorry, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Comment

In my small office almost everyone is Rep, but right before I read this thread a few of the guys were talking about switching to Independant. Tired of the Reublicans attacking their pay/benefits, but not ****ed enough to go to the Demo party.

Comment

The problem with the local republicans in my area is that they are being taken over by the libertarian and tea party fringe movements. I'm a Republican. I believe in local control and don't want a nanny state. The government should focus on the basics- safety, infrastructure, and education. The groups with the loudest voice right now in the GOP here are ANTI government... and in many cases they want to have their cake and eat it-- IE they want all those services, but don't want to pay for them. I think part of that problem is that many well to do business owners and rich people have became dependent on cheaper labor-- providing poor benefits to their employees, outsourcing labor overseas, hiring more technically educated people on J1 visas and paying them less than Americans, and hiring illegals under the table for the basic labor jobs. These things haven't translated over to the government sector and it simply costs more to provide those services- the new breed of Republicans just don't get that or they do get that and want the government to operate the same way.

In local and state elections I starting voting for more and more democrats two election cycles ago. So I'm one of the people the Rep's are losing. Sadly the Dem's aren't much better, but at least they don't hate the government and actually want to make sure the pot holes are filled, my fire truck isn't "browned out" and my job isn't replaced by someone who's going to work until they die.

Comment

Somehow no one has mentioned all the money Democrats hand out to welfare recipients and illegal aliens. That is one of the thing that has many Republicans upset.

I don't know whether the move by the Republicans was the right one. I don't know what the Democrats were offering. I think it was unlikely that a tax extension would be approved, absent some long-term cost-cutting measures, so perhaps it is better to force more cuts now.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                          Somehow no one has mentioned all the money Democrats hand out to welfare recipients and illegal aliens. That is one of the thing that has many Republicans upset.
                          Those are largely federal issues... and while I still vote R in fed elections, they have had ample opportunity over the last 20 years to address those issues, and have completely failed. The R's are going full force after my pension which at least I work for...and pensions are a drop in the bucket in the state and federal government compared to handouts. Go after those first.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
                            Those are largely federal issues... and while I still vote R in fed elections, they have had ample opportunity over the last 20 years to address those issues, and have completely failed. The R's are going full force after my pension which at least I work for...and pensions are a drop in the bucket in the state and federal government compared to handouts. Go after those first.
                            California is not supposed to provide welfare and free healthcare to illegal aliens, but it does. And California does not have to provide in-state tuition subsidies for illegals, but it does.

California also has some control over benefits levels, as shown by the recent reductions. California still has unusually high benefits.

Comment

As Jerry Brown's new pension proposal illustrates, the Democrats are now being forced to put long-term cost-cutting members on the table. Jerry recognizes that he is not going to get a tax increase without showing that the Democrats are capable of controlling expenditures in the long run.

At the same time, the teachers union is making another class-welfare proposal, which would have a the majority of California voters decide that those who are successful and contribute the most to California's economy should pay even more for services that benefit others.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5440 users online. 302 members and 5138 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X