Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruitment can you please help me out

Hello recruitment;
    I'm hoping you can really help me out. I received an email from Mrs K. Wong giving me my date to take the test and time location also attachments. Somehow my child or I deleted the email before I had a chance to print it out. I looked everywere in my computer for it, and I can't find it. I also left miss Wong a message. Can you please let me know the location and time of the test. Mine too was on April 12. If you don't want to write it on this forum, can you please email it to me at [email protected]. As I am really needing this information since the 12 is tuesday. Thank you....

If anyone else could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Its at 8:30AM on the 12th.
      Mid-Cities Classified Employment Office
      944 West 77th Street
      Los Angeles, CA 90044

WHAT YOU MUST BRING TO THE TEST:
      • Each candidate is required to bring his/her original Social Security card, and
      • An official, current picture identification document at the time of the test. Acceptable documents include a driver's license, State-issued identification card, student identification card or a passport.

You're also supposed to bring the letter, so I don't know how that is going to work out for you...

Comment

Sorry it took so long to respond. I work too, much.

I started with the LASPD in 1996. Like all school cops in those days, I started as a campus officer (SRO). After a couple years doing that, I went to patrol. I became an FTO and then a motor. At that time, I was pretty much given any assignment I wanted. Life was pretty good. The problem I had at first was the management. We had a chief that knew nothing about police work and was one step above a criminal himself. He did everything he could to hold the dept back.

We then got a great chief that retired from LAPD as a commander. He started the motors and K9. He changed the whole philosophy of the dept for the better. The cars were painted from blue and white to black and white and he allowed us to be cops. He left due to political pressure and took a chief job out of state. He put another guy in his spot as interim chief. That guy put the dept back 10 yrs. He had a "school guard" philosophy. The dept was getting ran into the dirt.

I lateraled to Riverside Sheriff (RSO) in 2006. I liked it there but ended up losing money in the long run. While at the LASPD, I was topped out with longevity pay, which gave me $33 /hr. When I went to RSO, I made the same hourly but went from paid medical to having to pay into a cafeteria plan. That put my realized pay at about $27 /hr. I couldn't support my family at that rate so I went back to LASPD for a year and got treated like a boot by a lot of fools that never did any "real" police work. RSO got a new contract and I got my advanced POST, so I went back to RSO and now actually got a good raise. So I looked like a yo yo for a while. But now I'm happier than ever and enjoy my job again.

LASPD is a good agency to start your career. Give it a few years and see if you like it. It's one of those jobs that you either love or hate. You mainly have to remember that you work for "educators" that are in the business of "educating" not "policing". You will always be inferior to the local agencies in the minds of your district admin and the general public. You also have to remember that the dept management are still of the old guard. They have little grasp of what police work actually is. Most of the supervisors are in the same boat. On the other hand, you have a lot of supervisors that will still let you do your job.

If you want to take parolees to jail and catch occupied G rides without getting heat from above, don't go there, or if you do go there, lateral out asap. If you want to write 308(b), truant and 415 cites, that's the place for you.

As LASCHOOLCOP said, let's see what the new chief does. I've heard nothing but good things about him.
        God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Bully View Post
          Sorry it took so long to respond. I work too, much.

I started with the LASPD in 1996. Like all school cops in those days, I started as a campus officer (SRO). After a couple years doing that, I went to patrol. I became an FTO and then a motor. At that time, I was pretty much given any assignment I wanted. Life was pretty good. The problem I had at first was the management. We had a chief that knew nothing about police work and was one step above a criminal himself. He did everything he could to hold the dept back.
          you are talking "worthless mitchell"- we had "rumors" he was eyeing our dept as a "top cop" candidate ,when he left you guys- THANKFULLY he went over to Inglewood School PD ( and sadly, screwed them up too) remember hearing it was him that wanted you guys to stay in the midnite blue ( "burple") patrol cars, and turned the ISPD units to white ones for a while( they are now black and white)

You mainly have to remember that you work for "educators" that are in the business of "educating" not "policing". You will always be inferior to the local agencies in the minds of your district admin and the general public.o remember that the dept management are still of the old guard. They have little grasp of what police work actually is. Most of the supervisors are in the same boat. On the other hand, you have a lot of supervisors that will still let you do your job.

If you want to take parolees to jail and catch occupied G rides without getting heat from above, don't go there, or if you do go there, lateral out asap. If you want to write 308(b), truant and 415 cites, that's the place for you.
          As LASCHOOLCOP said, let's see what the new chief does. I've heard nothing but good things about him.
          ... and thats the frustrating part of working for specialized, even some smaller suburban PDs- alot of people who "want police", just not "the police", if you know what I mean( and you do). worse are the admin. drones who snuck in cause they wanted a pay check and a shiny badge on their chest, but are SCARED As CRAP to do "police work". while guys like you and me are out pushing that patrol car, they are 9 to 5'ing it all through their careers, until the day they weasel their way into a promotion to Sgt or above- then its typical clueless buffonery, and FEAR because they don't "know what to do",but are stuck making decisions and leading BETTER experienced people in a capacity they are not prepared for. Those incompetent types fall back on what they know- AVOID any serious work, push subordinates to avoid anything that will make them have to "make decisions"

but Bully, this is happening in major agencies too. The worst part is that the public, even the clueless civies specialized PDs work for don't realize is that "crime is real". sooner or later a G ride is gonna pop up near a school, a shooting is gonna occur, and a thugged out felon with a gun is gonna come into their world. " you can't ignore it away", like some incompetent supervisors and civie mgm't think you can. ONE the problem arises ,it will be the first uniform on scene that will handle it. I've seen time and again School Pd officers dealing with rotten kids, who are FELONS on probation or gang bangers, then have to lay hands and cuffs on the parents- who are also FELONS, on probation, or parole.

Police work is crappy where ever you go, you just have to know the "terrain" you are working, and maximize your abilities and opportunities.some depts handle the issues better, thats all. whether they start at agency "A or B", or finish their careers at a certain dept, I wish anyone applying for a dept these days much success.
          Last edited by DOAcop38; 04-10-2011, 07:58 PM.
          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Hey DOA, do you moonlight as the Dalai Lama? You're like the wisest copper on the planet. You're right about baffoons being everywhere. I got a callout for a major collision last night. We're doing a full recon on it because brass is calling it a pursuit that ended in a crash with multiple AOI's, including a flipped over pickup that the dirtbag crashed into. So here's the stupidity. Tell me if you think this qualifies as a pursuit or not.

Cop drives southbound and sees "G money" in a civic going northbound. Spidey senses kick in and cop starts flipping a B***h. As he starts the turn, "G money" punches it. Blows a stop sign about 500' up road and starts his chain reaction collision. Cop now has lights on and arrives on scene. "G money" goes to hospital ward and the truck he crashed into and flipped is the new purchase of a GTA parolee (poetic justice). Did I miss something or is that not a pursuit?

Comment

Thanks for all the input Bully and DOA.

I took the written today and passed. The questions are always funky and awkwardly worded. I am not looking forward to the PAT, does anyone know if you fail, can you retake it later? I know they let you take the written again 4 months later.

Comment

Originally posted by Bully View Post
                Hey DOA, do you moonlight as the Dalai Lama? You're like the wisest copper on the planet. You're right about baffoons being everywhere. I got a callout for a major collision last night. We're doing a full recon on it because brass is calling it a pursuit that ended in a crash with multiple AOI's, including a flipped over pickup that the dirtbag crashed into. So here's the stupidity. Tell me if you think this qualifies as a pursuit or not.

Cop drives southbound and sees "G money" in a civic going northbound. Spidey senses kick in and cop starts flipping a B***h. As he starts the turn, "G money" punches it. Blows a stop sign about 500' up road and starts his chain reaction collision. Cop now has lights on and arrives on scene. "G money" goes to hospital ward and the truck he crashed into and flipped is the new purchase of a GTA parolee (poetic justice). Did I miss something or is that not a pursuit?
                Knowing my Dept???? IA case against the officer for "unsafe turn in the roadway, contributing to a traffic collision"- the dirtbag being the "victim"( and,of course he can SUE and get a nice paycheck for being a POS)- You and I both know this isn't a pursuit- and I'll bet "someone" is looking into "why" the deputy activated his lights ,or chose to follow joe loser, in order to file a complaint against the Deputy...

SEE kids??? just part of the circus we work in! Good luck to you guys applying for LASPD,or any other Dept!
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by Prospective View Post
                  Thanks for all the input Bully and DOA.

I took the written today and passed. The questions are always funky and awkwardly worded. I am not looking forward to the PAT, does anyone know if you fail, can you retake it later? I know they let you take the written again 4 months later.
                  Good job!! keep us all posted- it will take a while, so be patient- DO everything the District tells you ,and get any requests for BI in ON TIME! Bully and LAschoolCop can fill you in on minor issues or detials, if you ask properly!

Comment

So, the PAT is at Santee High School. Have to be there at 7AM this Saturday. They said its going to be several hours long! Does anybody know how many people are going to be there. Can you get there a half hour early and get parking, or is this a be there 1.5 hours early to get parking?

Comment

So, the PAT is at Santee High School. Have to be there at 7AM this Saturday. They said its going to be several hours long! Does anybody know how many people are going to be there. Can you get there a half hour early and get parking, or is this a be there 1.5 hours early to get parking?
                      I dont think it will be that many people but I am not sure...maybe 20-30. I believe that school has underground parking so there should be enough. If you are in shape u will be fine! i would say u will be fine 30-40 mins early!

Comment

Originally posted by LAschoolCop View Post
                        I dont think it will be that many people but I am not sure...maybe 20-30. I believe that school has underground parking so there should be enough. If you are in shape u will be fine! i would say u will be fine 30-40 mins early!
                        Cool, thanks for the tip LAschoolCop. This PAT format is not the "fake it 'till you make it" format. I do well with the tests that involve the little O-courses with the saw horses and cones you set up in the parking lot, the body drags, wall jumps, and 500 yard runs.

LAUSD does it like Santa Monica PD (without pull ups); the one with: pushups, sit-ups, 1.5 mile run, and 300 meter sprint.

I am honestly not too optimistic about this one, but I wish best of luck to everyone who is going.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the tip LAschoolCop. This PAT format is not the "fake it 'till you make it" format. I do well with the tests that involve the little O-courses with the saw horses and cones you set up in the parking lot, the body drags, wall jumps, and 500 yard runs.

LAUSD does it like Santa Monica PD (without pull ups); the one with: pushups, sit-ups, 1.5 mile run, and 300 meter sprint.

I am honestly not too optimistic about this one, but I wish best of luck to everyone who is going.
                          You will do fine the times are pretty high and all you need to do is pass, not be the best one!

Comment

That school does have underground parking and the lot is pretty big. There's also an outside parking lot that's decent size for those purposes. If you can't find parking in those lots, you can park on Maple or Los Angeles St. Just don't expect your car to be there when you get done. At minimum, the wheels will be missing.

Just a little reminiscing, the spot of the current Santee HS was the old personnel office when I first hired on there. The PAT is pass/fail so like gangstas running from the po po, you don't have to be the fastest, just don't be the slowest.

Good Luck

Comment

I put my application in. I looked online for a written test date other then the dates in June but couldn't find them. I checked the upcoming test dates but it was blank. Anybody think they can help me out here? How did you guys get a written this early?

Comment

I applied in January and didn't get to take the written until April.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3249 users online. 168 members and 3081 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X