300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Mesa may cut police officers, mayor says

COSTA MESA — More than 20 sworn police officer positions could be eliminated as part of the austerity measures sweeping City Hall, city officials said Wednesday.

City and police officials said talks on restructuring the department continually focus on reducing the number of sworn officers from 146 to 125.

The reductions, which the City Council budget committee is said to be reviewing, would be made with layoffs and not filling vacant positions.

"We're taking a hard look on how we can restructure the Police Department and provide the excellent service that we have," said Mayor Gary Monahan.

Monahan equated the idea of cuts to the Orange County Fire Authority's proposal to take on the city's firefighting while possibly closing one station and reducing minimum staffing in the city at any given time.

"It's the same discussion, the same analysis, just a different department with different parameters," he said. "We're looking all across the board because we can't afford what we have."

Four officers are expected to be let go since Costa Mesa elected to dissolve its police helicopter program, AirBorne Law Enforcement, and three through the city's outsourcing efforts approved March 1.

Monahan emphasized that talks of police layoffs are only hypothetical and there could be few to no layoffs at all.

City officials are waiting for Irvine-based Management Partners, Inc. to submit its suggestions on city restructuring, he said.

Management Partners was brought in after the City Council approved spending $200,000 to bring in outside consultants to help Chief Executive Tom Hatch, the city manager, reorganize the city last month. Hatch indicated at last week's council meeting that he may request additional money.

Last week, the city issued more than 200 layoff notices to other city employees indicating they could be let go in six months if officials can find a private company to fill their jobs.

With city leaders projecting growing pension costs, no jobs are necessarily safe, the mayor said, adding, "There's really not a lot of sacred cows anymore."

Most officers' compensation goes into six figures when you add their base salary, overtime, benefits and pensions.

If the city lets go of that many, Monahan said, the city could feasibly bring back more part-time employees or civilians.

In recent years, the department has shed many of its civilians and part-time employees, leaving officers to sometimes take on their responsibilities, such as non-emergency incident reports and answering phones at the front desk. Many traffic accidents go without police reports now because there isn't the staffing to do it.

The city folded its narcotics unit in 2008 and could also reduce its traffic unit, officials said.

Some of the department's specialized units, such as gangs and Special Enforcement Detail, would have to be reexamined, Monahan said.

http://www.dailypilot.com/news/educa...,7207718.story
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

I live in CM. City hall is a train wreck. Did you see the story where one of the city workers decided to take a swan dive off of city hall last week when he received his pink slip? What a mess. Luckily I only rent and I am tring to get out.

Comment

Four officers are expected to be let go since Costa Mesa elected to dissolve its police helicopter program, AirBorne Law Enforcement, and three through the city's outsourcing efforts approved March 1.

The writer is misunderstanding. Just because ASU was cut doesnt mean those 4 officers assigned to the unit were let go. They just went off to other parts of the department.

Comment

No, they were given pink slips with "bumping rights," meaning the four officers with the least seniority will be bumped. There will be officers laid off, as well as more cuts in non-sworn. Now that the chief is gone, the department is an easy target and the majority of city council has no regard for the PD. Look what they are doing to the fire guys.

Comment

Sounds like they maybe need to look at contracting out to one of the surrounding cities.

Comment

let me get this straight- the city spent $200k to get a company to tell them who to lay off? they could have cut salaries temporarily ACROSS the board and used the $200K to keep officers- I "thought" OC cities had SMARTER leadership...
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

post deleted
              Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                let me get this straight- the city spent $200k to get a company to tell them who to lay off? they could have cut salaries temporarily ACROSS the board and used the $200K to keep officers- I "thought" OC cities had SMARTER leadership...
                $200K might be enough for one officer for 1 year (a bit more or less depending on pay grade).
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Blackavar
                  I'm sure OCSD wouldn't mind adding CM to it's list of contract cities
                  What is crazy, is that there is a perfect storm for this to happen. The PD is gutted of leadership due to recent resignations and OC Register reporting that makes it seem like there is rampant corruption afoot with the resignations. The City is broken financially. Vocal anti-pension, anti-spending, anti-police, anti-tax voters are shouting for heads on pikes, and the council has shown its willingness to approve massive layoffs to cut the budget and silence critics. All this may lead to contracting with OCSD and disbanding the PD. I honestly wouldn't be surprised, the council and politics are pretty erratic and reactionary right now.

Comment

I doubt contracting out the PD will be even considered. In the OC towns have enourmous civic pride and generally want to retain local control over their cities. Costa Mesa has always been a very pro police town. It is a city that has always done thigs their own way and maintained strict local control. The citizens will get rid of every elected person in the city before they would give up the PD. This is the town that had INS in their jail and always deported anyone they arrested who was illegal, even on minor charges like drinking in public.

When tiny Placentia almost contracted out the officers went door to door and the citizens almost recalled their entire city council. Even the GG citizens have made it clear they will never sit still for it. If these cities wont go Costa Mesa is solid.
                    Originally posted by FJDave
                    GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                    "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

^^ That was when Monsoor was the mayor though.. who knows about the new one

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4228 users online. 275 members and 3953 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X