Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State: Pension Rollback Proposal

Pension Rollback Proposal
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Like most of the comments I believe this would be unconstitutional. The part about raising the retirement age for current workers is without a doubt unconstitutional. This looks like someone out of office who wants to ride the pension hate train back into office.

Comment

62????? LOL they want a 60 yr old street cop chasing 18 yr old gang members...this should be good!!

Comment

This is excessive, but given the current political climate, voters might go for it. The purpose of the proposal is probably to get the legislature to adopt (or at least put on the ballot) something that cuts less.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

As long as we don't cut the entitlement programs the majority of the state will go for it. People are making good careers about bashing everyone with a government pension, regardless of what they did to earn it.
          Originally Posted by Law100
          Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

So to add to that other discussion thread about what LE is going to be like in 15 years: Thugs working as cops, illegals getting full bennies as they are now over 50 % of the population, businesses moved out... Let the gangs just start running it now. What a bunch of fukinig crap. *** them all.
            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

I think quite a few people are upset about entitlement programs. The cuts that the governor has signed relate primarily to entitlement programs. http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,942756.story

As I have said before, law-enforcement unions have supported liberal politicians because they hand out money liberally to law enforcement. Part and parcel of that is that they hand out money liberally to all state employees, illegal aliens and all forms of welfare recipients. They also enact laws and appoint judges who hamper law enforcement.

Comment

I guarantee you that even if these pension reforms pass, it will not solve the budget issues. My state (Kansas) already has far less generous pension benefits than California, and much lower overall base pay for state employees, even when considering cost-of-living factors, yet our pension fund and state budget are still deep in the hole.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Nothing by itself will solve California's budget problem.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    Nothing by itself will solve California's budget problem.
                    Agreed. Just seems like they are going to attack the police and firefighters first on saving money...

Comment

Originally posted by EricDel View Post
                      Agreed. Just seems like they are going to attack the police and firefighters first on saving money...
                      But they haven't done that. They cut entitlement programs and other forms of public assistance instead, because those groups do not donate a lot of money to polticians' campaigns. There is still $15 billion to go.

Comment

Dal,

Have you heard how CA "wants" to start taxing people that retired here and moved out of the state. Basically someone would be taxed by CA then the state they live in (if that state taxes pension)! WOW!! Like you did, I plan on leaving here the day I retire. Supposedly it would only apply to those making more than 40,000 in pension, but I would imagine that would apply to most cops that retired with 20 years or more.

Comment

Originally posted by CAHokie View Post
                          Dal,

Have you heard how CA "wants" to start taxing people that retired here and moved out of the state. Basically someone would be taxed by CA then the state they live in (if that state taxes pension)! WOW!! Like you did, I plan on leaving here the day I retire. Supposedly it would only apply to those making more than 40,000 in pension, but I would imagine that would apply to most cops that retired with 20 years or more.
                          I think California used to do that. I don't know why they stopped. With some government employees receiving pensions of over $200,000 per year, I can see why voters would support that.

I don't have a pension. I have IRAs, annuities, a 401-K and an HR-10 plan.

Additional info:

I think the proposal to which you refer may be an initiative that never made it to the ballot, and there are serious issues about whether it would violate federal law. See http://www.lao.ca.gov/ballot/2009/090203.aspx
                          Last edited by DAL; 03-25-2011, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Who the hell is Niello, other than some dried-up old bastard who never did anything worthwhile with his pitiful life? What right does he have to **** with our pensions? No way in hell am I working as a cop until I am 62, and we'd have to sell everything and move to some trailer home somewhere far away to live on 60%.
                            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

There is a video floating around (that I unfortunately don't know how to link) showing an old cop with 2 canes making a traffic stop.
                              My body failed in my 40's & I was in excellent condition (just a devastating injury). What do they think an old cop, 50-100 lbs. overweight & carrying a gunbelt on an old back & bad knees is going to look like?? As it is the average lifespan after a service (50's) retirement is 5 years! Unclear on the concept.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3923 users online. 215 members and 3708 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X