300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll shows public support for Brown's budget plan is slipping

A new survey by the Public Policy Institute of California shows 46% of likely voters backing the governor's proposed five-year extension on some taxes, a drop from 53% two months ago. The treasurer's office says delaying a vote on extensions to November could force the state to issue IOUs.

More: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,702563.story

I think that the tax increase does not have much chance of passage unless it is coupled with measures that will curb long-term spending.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

One of the biggest issues that face every city in the state is the Governor's desire to do away with ALL redevelopment agencies. Without redevelopment money from the state, blighted property will remain blighted and unless the economy bounces back soon, more properties will become blighted. Also, if a city hasn't used what redevelopment money they previously received, the state will take it back. And I'm sure everyone knows about the broken window theory about attracting crime. No city wants more empty buildings with broken windows.

Comment

My understanding is that the state does not give redevelopment money to RDAs. Rather, an RDA results in less tax revenue flowing to the state.

The articles I have read suggest that redevelopment agencies do not invest wisely, which is not surprising, because they are run by local governments that are more concerned with politics and reelection than anything else.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Don't worry. He'll make all sort of outrageous cuts and make everyone crazy and then people will be begging for tax increases. They've been running this little show long enough to know how to scare the public.
        Originally Posted by Law100
        Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

post deleted
          Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7063 users online. 360 members and 6703 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X